Tyre Inflation - R1200 GS 2017

Smithmas

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello.

I have on a few occasions taken my bike to a local Tesco's to inflate the tyres to the recommended level. On both occasions, rather than be an easy 1 minute job - the machine deflates my tyres and comes up with an error code, leaving me to ride slowly back home and use my compressor.

What am I missing? Are the automatic machines at garages / Tescos incompatible?

Cheers.

Mark

I doubt the machine is deflating your tyre on purpose. Surly you should notice that air is going the wrong way before it gets dangerous to ride. There must be something wrong with the fit between your valve and the pump. The fact that you can pump it up with your compressor would tend to suggest that there is nothing wrong with your valve. I’d try another garage airline. JJH

This old one surfacing again, thought we'd seen the last of them.
Last time I saw this was about 5 years ago.
Some forecourt air lines had an end fitting that was a gnats deeper than the GS valve stem is long. It doesn't matter how hard you press it on it only goes on far enough to let the air out and not far enough to seal to the stem.
Had it in France as well.

Thanks Guys for the advice :okay - will get one of those adaptors that Knutk mentions for my bike tour.

I keep an eye on my tyre pressures before each ride using a digital pressure gauge.

If I need to top up, I use a bicycle stirrup pump.... surpringly effective to add a few psi here and there.

:thumb

Hello.

I have on a few occasions taken my bike to a local Tesco's to inflate the tyres to the recommended level. On both occasions, rather than be an easy 1 minute job - the machine deflates my tyres and comes up with an error code, leaving me to ride slowly back home and use my compressor.

What am I missing?

Unaided, you have made the obvious connection that your local Tesco branch’s air pump is deflating your tyres. You now need to make the leap to stop going there and let your imagination conjure up an image of always pumping your tyres up at home, using your ‘must have’ compressor you spunked all that money on. Or just use a simple foot or stirrup pump *. Can’t be arsed, in your rush to get to Tesco? That’s up to you.

PS The inflator nozzle on many garages’ airlines are often damaged, letting more air out than they let in or they are at the wrong angle for the valve stem. Take small comfort in that knowledge.

But what if I need to top up a tyre or have a puncture, when out hooning, I hear ask? Get yourself a simple puncture repair kit and a simple compressor. There are umpteen threads on which is best. One tip, learn how to use them both before you find yourself in the pouring rain on the way to Tesco. But if you have a compressor at home, you probably know that already.

* The advantage of these over the battery powered things, is that they are always charged and ready to go. The only energy required, supplied by you.

I keep an eye on my tyre pressures before each ride using a digital pressure gauge.

If I need to top up, I use a bicycle stirrup pump.... surpringly effective to add a few psi here and there.

:thumb

+1 to this. Owning 6 x as many cycles as GS's I always have one handy in the garage and it doesn't take many pumps to add a psi or 2.

Track pump is the term to search.

Back
Top Bottom