Looking for Advice - New Jacket and Pants

Wildfowler

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a really old Hein Gericke jacket that has seen better days and is no longer waterproof ( was never really that waterproof as always failed in chest area) and also a pair of Frank Thomas pants that are also past their sell by date and are super absorbent, especially around the crotch area, even though they are supposed to be waterproof. I know you get what you pay for. I also have a leather jacket and trousers but I only wear these in the dry and don't plan replacing these.

I am looking for a good quality replacements that wont leak regardless of the weather. I have trawled online and also the forum. I hear a lot of good stuff re Halvarssons, Rukka and also Klim, I plan to get a jacket and trousers and not worried whether same make or not. My budget is about £1K.

visit motolegends you will get exactly what you want in your budget

As above but with any of the big stores. Try it all on (within your budget) and see what fits and feels right.

I was in the same position a while ago. I had a really good HG jacket, a Cruise 3. Full goretex from the days they made quality stuff.

at Motolegends I would look to see if this fits https://www.motolegends.com/jackets/rukka-kalix-2-0-jacket-in-black.html

don't worry about the lack of thermal liner - I don't bother with them, preferring a regular fleece as this can be worn separately e.g. as a day jacket at lunchtime when commuting or in the evening if on tour.

Also, check to see what back protector is in the HG jacket. My Cruise 3 has a proper level 2 back protector so this has been recycled into the Rukka Chariklo I bought from FC Moto.

With the matching trousers, the suit is nearly £1100. Be cheeky and ask for a £100 discount to fit your budget.

I was in the same position a while ago. I had a really good HG jacket, a Cruise 3. Full goretex from the days they made quality stuff.

at Motolegends I would look to see if this fits https://www.motolegends.com/jackets/rukka-kalix-2-0-jacket-in-black.html

don't worry about the lack of thermal liner - I don't bother with them, preferring a regular fleece as this can be worn separately e.g. as a day jacket at lunchtime when commuting or in the evening if on tour.

Also, check to see what back protector is in the HG jacket. My Cruise 3 has a proper level 2 back protector so this has been recycled into the Rukka Chariklo I bought from FC Moto.

With the matching trousers, the suit is nearly £1100. Be cheeky and ask for a £100 discount to fit your budget.

Thanks for the advise. Yes the back protector in my jacket is actually from a previous Hein Gericke Jacket I had. It is much better than the one that was in this jacket when I bought it.

I have the Halvarssons Vansbro jacket and Wish pants combination. They are a two layer laminate, so nice and flexible. They also come with really good quality Outlast liners and are adequately ventilated for UK summer use. For less than £900 for the full suit, are really good value for money. Oh, and even in torrential rain recently, never let a drop of water in.

Halvarssons Vansbro

Hi, Hope you don't mind...Just looking at the Vansbro and wondered how you've got on with it since you posted back in July. What sort of use, how is it when it got warmer etc?

Last edited:
Hi, Hope you don't mind...Just looking at the Vansbro and wondered how you've got on with it since you posted back in July. What sort of use, how is it when it got warmer etc?
I have the Halvarssons Vansbro jacket and Wish pants combination. They are a two layer laminate, so nice and flexible. They also come with really good quality Outlast liners and are adequately ventilated for UK summer use. For less than £900 for the full suit, are really good value for money. Oh, and even in torrential rain recently, never let a drop of water in.

Still realy pleased with it. Like any jacket in hot weather, as soon as yous stop it will start to get hot inside, but when on the move, the chest, back and arm vents work well on the GSA. I don't tend to use the jacket with the liner in during the summer, but do for the other seasons. With the liner being Outlast, it is important to start off with it cool in warm weather and pre warm it in cooler weather.
The fit is also better than the previous Walkre version and has better neck adjustment.
I added a D30 L2 back protector, which flows air really well and moulds to your body.

That's great thanks. I've had a Rukka suit since 2003 and whilst it still does the job it's looking a bit scruffy now. I was going to bite the bullet on a new Rukka but saw the review of your kit on Motolegends and thought it sounded and looked a good alternative to leave room to replace some other bits of kit.
Still realy pleased with it. Like any jacket in hot weather, as soon as yous stop it will start to get hot inside, but when on the move, the chest, back and arm vents work well on the GSA. I don't tend to use the jacket with the liner in during the summer, but do for the other seasons. With the liner being Outlast, it is important to start off with it cool in warm weather and pre warm it in cooler weather.
The fit is also better than the previous Walkre version and has better neck adjustment.
I added a D30 L2 back protector, which flows air really well and moulds to your body.

Back
Top Bottom