Happy New bike day to meeeeeeeee

My Tuono has settings which allow me to dial in to the suspension probably much like yours.

On track, I just stick to one of the default settings, (dash shows 0) but on road I soften off both the rear and the front on that default by one click. (dash now shows -1).

Its surprising how much difference it makes!

What I do like on the Tuono (not sure how yours is), is that they keep life pretty simple and my choice for front and rear is simply 'softer' or 'firmer'. So no compression, rebound, high speed compression, (pot hole) low speed compression (wallow) etc etc which my KTM 1190 had, just a simple firmer or softer +5 to -5 :thumb2

My Tuono has settings which allow me to dial in to the suspension probably much like yours.

On track, I just stick to one of the default settings, (dash shows 0) but on road I soften off both the rear and the front on that default by one click. (dash now shows -1).

Its surprising how much difference it makes!

What I do like on the Tuono (not sure how yours is), is that they keep life pretty simple and my choice for front and rear is simply 'softer' or 'firmer'. So no compression, rebound, high speed compression, (pot hole) low speed compression (wallow) etc etc which my KTM 1190 had, just a simple firmer or softer +5 to -5 :thumb2

Yes pretty similar except just to add to the mix the brake resistance on the forks - independent of damping and rebound and compression plus the steering damper

and fixed mode rather than the dynamic but I won't bother with that as it is for track use mainly

What isnt right is the sag ( currently there is none) which I assume is the preload which is manual adjustment on the shock and forks

If I am reading the book right the softer/ firmer on the dash relates to damping, compression and rebound. Also in race mode there are even more fine tune options but I won't be needing them

I will pay the blokes at Ohlins to get that right and the job should be good to go

Yes pretty similar except just to add to the mix the brake resistance on the forks - independent of damping and rebound and compression plus the steering damper ...

Yeah, I have all that and have left it as standard .... :thumb2

Yeah, I have all that and have left it as standard .... :thumb2

I am guessing that we both have the electronic Ohlins TTX36 then !

I think once the sag is sorted default settings will be good but I also think that Aprilla do a better job in the factory so they are better straight out of the box

Ducati dont seem to have a "out of the factory" standard as all my Ducatis have been very different in their new set up and have needed some tweaking but once done they are magical

<iframe width="857" height="482" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OLEREFCmuK4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whilst my Supersport was in for service at Ducati Leeds I had a good look at the Streetfighter and new Multi V4S. Lovely bikes but the rear seat hump on the Streetfighter meant that, being vertically challenged in the leg dept, I couldn't even swing my leg over to get on.:tears

The Multi was much too heavy for me, I'm nearing 72 and 13stone. Beautiful machine but the one in the showroom fully specced was just north of £21,000. :eek:

<iframe width="857" height="482" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OLEREFCmuK4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think on the whole that was a very fair review

On the complaint about the Throttle it isn't something i have noticed so cant comment. A very fair point on the Suspension, Ducati seem to throw them out of the factory with suspension all over the place ( i have had this same issue with all my ducatis ) where Aprillia seem to spend a bit of time setting them up a bit. My pre load and sag ais none existent at the moment but that will be sorted and then the Units are the same so should be more compatible, The electroni adjustments are on compression damping and rebound and seem to be incredibly customisable.

AS for it wheelying they forgot to mention the Ducati has a counter rotating crank which is to help to keep the front on the floor and just propel it forwards developed from MotoGP and keeping the wheel on the floor suits me just fine !

It is a thirsty bastard

I love the Engine braking !! and again it is adjustable in settings but i do like it

Most reviewers say the Aprillia is more engaging etc etc which for me means more difficult or demanding to get the best from it and they criticise the SF for being too easy, Easy is good in my book and it truly is an easy bike to ride !

The Tuono was on my list but Ducati sort of get under your skin and for me my honest apraisal ( and i have ridden the Tuono) is that the SF is a masterpiece of going from A-B as fast and as un flapped as possible

Nice one Rick.

Look forward to seeing it disappearing into the distance when I bring the Drag Queen north in a couple of weeks time. :D

Whilst my Supersport was in for service at Ducati Leeds I had a good look at the Streetfighter and new Multi V4S. Lovely bikes but the rear seat hump on the Streetfighter meant that, being vertically challenged in the leg dept, I couldn't even swing my leg over to get on.:tears

The Multi was much too heavy for me, I'm nearing 72 and 13stone. Beautiful machine but the one in the showroom fully specced was just north of £21,000. :eek:

I&D... Good comment. Many of these newer bikes are pretty amazing but having just a 30" inside leg (and being not too far behind you in age) I really struggle to get on & off them let alone get feet down at the traffic lights (especially if there's a camber in the road). The sales folks try to sell you a lowered factory seat as an "accessory" but the reality is that it's £250 approx for what is sometimes barely an inch or so in height reduction.

Why oh why do the factories build them so tall ? And thus exclude so many potential customers ?

That's why BMW Motorrad are smart for offering factory lowered options (the factory lowered GS is a delight) and not forgetting HD who can accommodate almost any height rider on almost any bike in their range. That's what I call sensible marketing based on real world customers.

I&D... Good comment. Many of these newer bikes are pretty amazing but having just a 30" inside leg (and being not too far behind you in age) I really struggle to get on & off them let alone get feet down at the traffic lights (especially if there's a camber in the road). The sales folks try to sell you a lowered factory seat as an "accessory" but the reality is that it's £250 approx for what is sometimes barely an inch or so in height reduction.

Why oh why do the factories build them so tall ? And thus exclude so many potential customers ?

That's why BMW Motorrad are smart for offering factory lowered options (the factory lowered GS is a delight) and not forgetting HD who can accommodate almost any height rider on almost any bike in their range. That's what I call sensible marketing based on real world customers.

Yes I have a low chassis S1000XR and I can flat foot that with ease and it gives you so much confidence. I'm looking at a Street Triple RS as my next bike as its the same seat height as the low XR and it only weighs 166kg dry. Also beginning to realise that I don't need a trillion BHP to enjoy the ride.

Yes I have a low chassis S1000XR and I can flat foot that with ease and it gives you so much confidence. I'm looking at a Street Triple RS as my next bike as its the same seat height as the low XR and it only weighs 166kg dry. Also beginning to realise that I don't need a trillion BHP to enjoy the ride.

Yes, I think that's a sensible approach... I will be following suit myself. I have a factory-lowered R1250GS and that is plenty high enough for me... but always good to hear other people's views who are in the same boat. I like the 166 kg weight too.... it all makes sense. :)

Hey Rick,you aren't by any chance visiting Cambridge today are you?Spotted a Streetfighter just like yours pulling into the Science Park this morning..... nice bike :thumb2

Kimbo

Hey Rick,

Still enjoying the V4S? What's it been like now after almost a year?

I have my eye on a new V4S, just doing my homework/due diligence at the mo.

J.R.

Hey Rick,

Still enjoying the V4S? What's it been like now after almost a year?

I have my eye on a new V4S, just doing my homework/due diligence at the mo.

J.R.

I am still loving it

To its credit nothing has caught my eye that could tempt me away and i am quite fickle ....

a year in and almost 6000 miles it has been faultless

The engine is a materpeice, the handling is sooo good and once one get used to the way it just goes forwards at a rapid rate it is a joy and the build quality is very good

The psychological thing of 208 BHP melts away when you get on it - it is possibly the easiest bike to ride i have ever known and feels like a little 250 ( appart from the performance)

Some things to be aware of

It really needs the Rad guards and they are a huge and fiddly job to fit - the Evo Tec guards come with a 48 page instruction sheet ( i paid someone to do it)

Tyres - it isnt particularly hard on tyres but they can prove a bit hard to get as they are a odd size 200/60/17 at the rear and only Pirelli make them - it is possible to run 55 profiles with the tyre recalibrate system but in my mind it makes no sense - they are not cheap tyres BTW and you will forever have people taking the piss out of the chicken strips ( unless you are a great deal braver than me)

It is, for me super comfy 320 mile drag to plymouth was a breeze so big days are easy

Luggage can be a problem but i just strap Kriega on the pax seat job sorted

If you are fancying a black one i recomend the paint protection film stuff as a spalsh of WD40 can ruin it !

Go and ride one you will be smitten

In the Picos last month it was just the daddy and all but a mad local lad fell by the wayside

I am still loving it

To its credit nothing has caught my eye that could tempt me away and i am quite fickle ....

a year in and almost 6000 miles it has been faultless

The engine is a materpeice, the handling is sooo good and once one get used to the way it just goes forwards at a rapid rate it is a joy and the build quality is very good

The psychological thing of 208 BHP melts away when you get on it - it is possibly the easiest bike to ride i have ever known and feels like a little 250 ( appart from the performance)

Some things to be aware of

It really needs the Rad guards and they are a huge and fiddly job to fit - the Evo Tec guards come with a 48 page instruction sheet ( i paid someone to do it)

Tyres - it isnt particularly hard on tyres but they can prove a bit hard to get as they are a odd size 200/60/17 at the rear and only Pirelli make them - it is possible to run 55 profiles with the tyre recalibrate system but in my mind it makes no sense - they are not cheap tyres BTW and you will forever have people taking the piss out of the chicken strips ( unless you are a great deal braver than me)

It is, for me super comfy 320 mile drag to plymouth was a breeze so big days are easy

Luggage can be a problem but i just strap Kriega on the pax seat job sorted

If you are fancying a black one i recomend the paint protection film stuff as a spalsh of WD40 can ruin it !

Go and ride one you will be smitten

In the Picos last month it was just the daddy and all but a mad local lad fell by the wayside

Nice one :thumb2
You answered my concern over the day long comfort, and 90/100 miles between refills if not giving it the beans?
I have my eye on a red one and I've been told August delivery is a possibility so I think I'll give it a whirl.

Nice one :thumb2
You answered my concern over the day long comfort, and 90/100 miles between refills if not giving it the beans?
I have my eye on a red one and I've been told August delivery is a possibility so I think I'll give it a whirl.

Good man

Have you actually ridden one ?

Fuel wise the headline figures are shit but the reality is it isnt a problem at 100 mile fill ups

Good man

Have you actually ridden one ?

Fuel wise the headline figures are shit but the reality is it isnt a problem at 100 mile fill ups

Not ridden one but had a good look at one in the flesh. Deposit given so now on order for "August" delivery, but if it's going to be late August as I suspect then I'll bump it in to beginning of Sept for the new reg.
Ordered a few bits too, and went for the Termi's - the neighbours are gonna love me :D

Not ridden one but had a good look at one in the flesh. Deposit given so now on order for "August" delivery, but if it's going to be late August as I suspect then I'll bump it in to beginning of Sept for the new reg.
Ordered a few bits too, and went for the Termi's - the neighbours are gonna love me :D

Nice !

Respect on the Termi as I just cannot justify them but they do sound wonderful

Back
Top Bottom