Mobile App vs GPS

KierOB

Reaction score
All,

I have been patient and have used the Connected App with my new 2021 GSA. TBH, it just isn't ready for prime time in my view (late instructions, flakey when you lose mobile connection even with downloaded maps, daft routes on the winding routes setting - far too many single track roads get chosen where I live, etc).

Having said that the BMW app isn't all that, I have now compared it with both Calimoto and Waze. To make this all possible I bought an after market adapter that allows me to slot my mobile in where the Navigator normally sits. Given the phone sits exactly where the Navigator normally would, I think it's a pretty good alternative.

It just doesn't work that well.

So, would a dedicated GPS device be worthwhile? If so, which one? Lastly, what about the noise about BMW ditching Garmin and a new Navigator unit (not an upgrade of the existing one)?

A lot of questions I know .... but please do chip in.

K

I have the BMW Nav 6 (Garmin) and its only ok.

It integrates with the bikes wonder wheel and displays info from the bike which is good.
to be honest, this is the best thing about it.

As a normal Sat Nav i dont like it, its route calculations are crap, it leads me to every traffic jam in Britain and loves going through town/city centres in rush hour traffic.

For example...
2 weeks ago i had my bike serviced at BMW, it was booked in for Thursday morning so i left it with them on Wednesday night. (they shut at 6pm)

so i set off at 4.30pm and its 22 miles
Me on the bike, wife set of 10 minutes later in my insignia using the built in sat nav.

I followed the Nav6 blindly, and it took me through Manchester city centre and roadworks.
I arrived at 5.55pm... so close to closing!!

Wife was fuming, asking where the hell ive been!!

Unfortunately as i also ride with a mate who has a TomTom, this is normal behaviour from Garmin.
their maps are so out of date its a joke too
Garmin maps for instance wont take you over the Forth Road bridge... they haven't mapped it.... its been open since the 1960s ffs

It integrates with the bikes wonder wheel and displays info from the bike which is good.

As a normal Sat Nav i dont like it, its route calculations are crap, it leads me to every traffic jam in Britain and loves going through town/city centres in rush hour traffic.

For example...
2 weeks ago i had my bike serviced at BMW, it was booked in for Thursday morning so i left it with them on Wednesday night. (they shut at 6pm)

Me on the bike, wife set of 10 minutes later in my insignia using the built in sat nav.

I followed the Nav6 blindly, and it took me through Manchester city centre and roadworks.

Unfortunately as i also ride with a mate who has a TomTom, this is normal behaviour from Garmin.
Garmin maps for instance wont take you over the Forth Road bridge... they haven't mapped it.... its been open since the 1960s ffs

Thank Barnoe

The modern GPS devices, basically anything from the Garmin 550 onwards, are really very good.

It is assumed that BMW will continue to explore the opportunities created through adopting and expanding the use of smart screens, linked to (or independent of) smart telephones.

Rather like electric motor cars, replacing petrol or diesel vehicles, that still leaves many hundreds of motorcycles on the roads of the UK, fully capable of using a well made, fully functional GPS unit….. or you can just use your phone or, as some people do, use a smart tablet.

It’s a personal choice thing. I like my Garmin device, not least as I know how to use it (and its associated BaseCamp software) reasonably well. That it also integrates well with my 1600 BMW motorcycle is an additional benefit. My phone, which is not integrated into my gps device or bike, I use as a phone, diary, internet browser, note book, map holder, email provider, camera, calculator, egg timer and just about anything else I want it to do. In an emergency, or when I am on foot, it will also act as as a gps navigation device. That’s enough for me.

For example...

My Garmin Nav VI took me over the Forth Road Bridge two years ago when I was on a trip to Scotland. Are you sure you haven't got an avoidance set, for no toll roads or something. I can also see it on my Nav maps, so that is strange

Garmin use Navteq maps. TomTom use TeleAtlas
Navteq is now under the HERE brand, ex Nokia, and now owned by a consortium of Audi, BMW and Daimler.
Cant believe they could be that wrong.

Just put in a destination on my Nav VI and the route takes me over the bridge

Probably because the Forth Road Bridge is closed to "normal" traffic since the Queensferry Crossing opened.
FRB is now a "Public Transport Corridor", for the use of buses, taxis, motorcycles under 125cc, and people who cant read the restriction signs.

It’s rare that I ask my Nav V to plan a route ; I usually plan it on Basecamp using multiple shaping nodes, so that I have full control. I still love my Garmin . I accept that technology has moved on so as to avoid traffic .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garmin use Navteq maps. TomTom use TeleAtlas
Navteq is now under the HERE brand, ex Nokia, and now owned by a consortium of Audi, BMW and Daimler.
Cant believe they could be that wrong.
Maybe that’s why motorways only show as a one lane highway (outside lane) on my Garmin 595 :D

Back
Top Bottom