Petseal.....argghhhh

dr nosh

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Remains of Petseal applied 40 years ago. Destroyed by un-leaded and E5 petrol.:eek::mad:

Attachments

• SAM_2147.jpg
    SAM_2147.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 611
When I poured that into the tank in 1981, unleaded and E5 fuel had not been invented.

Luckily, it has all come out of the tank, 100psi airline, long nozzle on the air gun, and from what I can see the steel is still in good clean order and not rusty at all.

So, in reality, its done its job.

When I poured that into the tank in 1981, unleaded and E5 fuel had not been invented.

Luckily, it has all come out of the tank, 100psi airline, long nozzle on the air gun, and from what I can see the steel is still in good clean order and not rusty at all.

i'm sorry .....what else have you got, that has done it's job for 40 years ?

GPWM...

I have been researching into the POR15 sealer recently, and to be honest i need to do one of my tanks, so have decided to buy some and give it a go? The latest stuff claims to be ethanol resistant so should be OK? plus if it lasts 40 years ill be 100 and won't give a flying fuck if it fails!

Just out of interest what was the reason that you put a tank sealer into a good condition steel tank in 1981?

I used petseal on a Cali tank years ago.
it laid a fine deposit of itself on the carb slides. Little spots...
... just enough to make the slides stick open - usually at half throttle. :eek: :mad:

I had to give up. I left the tank 'stored' (hidden:rolleyes: ) in the attic hoping that if i left it a few years it would harden up enough to make it usable again.

It's been up there about ten years now. What do you think my chances are? :(

GPWM...

I have been researching into the POR15 sealer recently, and to be honest i need to do one of my tanks, so have decided to buy some and give it a go? The latest stuff claims to be ethanol resistant so should be OK? plus if it lasts 40 years ill be 100 and won't give a flying fuck if it fails!

Smudge, if you go down the POR 15 route ( I did on my Beeza tank) please bear the following in mind
1 Follow their instructions to the letter, short cuts will end in tears

2 The “ metal ready solution is really agressive, keep it away from external paint and or any chrome

3 Once you have washed out the metal ready , give the tank two quick rinses with about 150/200 mls of Industrial methylated spirits. The IMS chemically mops up any water especially in the seams. If you dont do this the prepped tank will flash rust within hours.

Also POR15 is an iso cyanate type polymer it cures by reacting with the moisture in the air and releasing C02 . If there is liquid moisture left in the tank , the reaction will kick off really quickly and not through cure.

4 Mask the tank really well Por15 is VERY runny , its like thin aluminium paint and sticks to everything like shit to a blanket

5 Lastly as stated above rotate the tank , dont allow material to pool and surface cure. If you do it won’t through cure and will delaminate later.

I used petseal on a Cali tank years ago.
it laid a fine deposit of itself on the carb slides. Little spots...
... just enough to make the slides stick open - usually at half throttle. :eek: :mad:

I had to give up. I left the tank 'stored' (hidden:rolleyes: ) in the attic hoping that if i left it a few years it would harden up enough to make it usable again.

It's been up there about ten years now. What do you think my chances are? :(

Ten years? Ahem, I last worked with you thirteen years ago and you had done the petseal a good few years before that. Oh this getting old shite

The joy of removing old tank liners!

What a great way to spend an afternoon

Attachments

• C92E0273-AB40-4F82-AABA-3F31A8B04ABA.jpg
    C92E0273-AB40-4F82-AABA-3F31A8B04ABA.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 183
Here you go Paul , sellers photos as I have been busy tidying things up

Attachments

• CB73B690-97ED-4E69-960F-168C2236E264.jpeg
    CB73B690-97ED-4E69-960F-168C2236E264.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 143
  • D2123778-E255-47C1-8478-63197798370F.jpeg
    D2123778-E255-47C1-8478-63197798370F.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 139
Thanks Steve. That looks very original, I can't imagine there are many original exhausts still around

Cheers Paul its an American import, its had money chucked at it in terms of repainted frame, plastics and the magnesium gearbox and clutch covers have been cerakoted. The exhaust is original and even the “ black M” in the Motorsport is right for the year.

The old tank liner just let it down, so now its out! Suprisingly perky for a 20 hp bike. Even Tim ( Timolgra) likes it, as he breathed on the front forks last week to help me increase preload.

Two hours shake rattle and rolling this petseal crap out of the German's guts, what a waste of bloody time!!! IMG_7297.jpg

Back
Top Bottom