Norwegian internal ferries and toll roads - November 2021

El Capitano

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m well into the planning of a Baltic Loop tour this September and I’m struggling to understand exactly how we pay for the short ferry crossings these days?

I understand that things are becoming more and more automated but the Autopass for ferries system doesn’t seem to be geared for tourists so can anyone tell me if it’s still possible just to pay for each ferry using cards or cash? Or indeed if the Autopass for roads system will automatically bill us?

Many thanks, Colin

Update: Ferrypay.no

There has now been established an electronic means of payment. 95% of all the ferries do participate in the system. And those few that do nat take part in it will let you know by letting you know they want your money :D

Anyway, before traveling (or latest two days after the first journey), you do register at this site:
https://ferrypay.no/

Basically you enter your licensplate number, credir card number and email address. When the vehicle enters the ferry, the licensplate will be read by camera, and your accouint will be charged automatically. You will also receive a receipt by email.

Being a tourist, you may enter a time frame for when your account is available for being charged.

There are no fees or need for any pre-payment. If you do register and do not ever travel with a ferry, there will be no cost.

It does not say specifically, but since the webpage offers English as a language, I take it for granted that this will also include non-domestic vehicles.

What if you do not register and travels with a ferry?
They will send you a bill in the mail (I think the Eoropean countries now cooperate and share information so you may get speeding tickets etc even if you travel within Europe).

However, if not registred, the computer does not know your type of vehicle, and you will be charged the highest rate.

So..
I recommend anyone considering to travel by ferry in Norway to register prior to getting there. Enter a time frame slightly beyond your expected stay. If you do not travel with a ferry, it will cost you nothing.

What I’ll do now is edit this thread, so that it starts with post #7, thereby keeping it current. I’ll also amend the title.

Richard.

Hi,

I’m well into the planning of a Baltic Loop tour this September and I’m struggling to understand exactly how we pay for the short ferry crossings these days?

I understand that things are becoming more and more automated but the Autopass for ferries system doesn’t seem to be geared for tourists so can anyone tell me if it’s still possible just to pay for each ferry using cards or cash? Or indeed if the Autopass for roads system will automatically bill us?

Many thanks, Colin

May be not 100% relevant (so Admin, feel free to delet this post if need be).

You mention Autopass. The Autopass system is meant for cars. It was developed for charging cars on Toll roads and recently adapted to also cover for ferries. It is based on payinga deposite in advance.
While they do offer a discount for Automobiles on the Ferries, the system is not meant for MC. MC are not charged for driving on any public Toll road (with may be a couple of exceptions, but if such is the case, there will be a manual Toll booth), hence, they have not bothered with adapting the system to MC. (Private Toll roads may still charge MC. If so, there will be signs that clearly says so. This would typical be roads to remote areas)

Thank you, knutk. A very clear answer, which can stay here in this thread.

PS I have edited the title, to include toll roads.

Richard

I am not sure if its been posted already but from July 1st ferries crossings carrying less than 100,000 passengers annually will be free.

I am not sure if its been posted already but from July 1st ferries crossings carrying less than 100,000 passengers annually will be free.

That’s a big ferry..

Thanks to all for the tips, ideas for ferry travel in Norway. I’m going next month with my lad. I’ve registered both bikes to my account on ferry pay. Very straight forward.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom