R1250GS TE to Tracer 9GT?

I love the look of those, I was very tempted as a second bike.

Real good value one sold on here a few weeks ago for £6800. Haven’t heard a bad word about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve the lowered chassis and lower rubbers on the stock adjuster so with 29” inseam I’m ok with the height.
I run it in low also and also have the wunderlich bars on it
I suppose, not knowing the Brand, I’m I sure about reliability, engine I’ve no issue with but the electronics I’m not so sure about, I traded my multistrada 1200s after 2 years when it ran out of warranty although it had never missed a beat!
I have it in my head that a new one with 3 yr warranty would ultimate the better buy, although out of my reach at present. It’s the nagging doubt that concerns me as much as the weight!
I sure there are thousands of GS out there that have never missed a beat!

The electronics have been around for quite a while now, and history has shown that there are few issues. Yes I know, people are nagging about it on the internet, but that does not represent the reality. If electronics components fail, it usually fails within the first two years. From there on it's quite stable. If problems occur it is usually related to connectors, sensors and switches. And looking at other brands from later years, electronics are no longer unique to BMW. They all use it. Actually, looking at the quality of the wiring and connectors, very few brands use better quality components and show better workmanship on their wiring.

But all brands have their weak and stronger sides. Pick the bike you want, learn to handle the weak sides, and you will be ok, whatever bike you go for.

Best of luck with your choice :D:okay

I had a test on a 9GT before I got my GS.

Honestly I liked it and would have bought it if it hadn’t been for Mrs S not feeling comfortable on the pillion.

For solo riding it would be ideal and the weight difference between that and the GS is quite noticeable.

That said my test was a short one and I’d have preferred more time on it.

What did your mrs not like about the pillion?

Has anyone made this move and why? IÂ’m actually considering it although IÂ’ve only had my Jan2019 with 11k miles for 2 weeks, I find it just so heavy to move around at 5Â’6 and bringing it off the Center stand is just a lie down waiting till happen!
IÂ’ve ridden the Tracer for a couple of hours and once the screen would be replaced, it may be a worthy alternative

I haven’t done this transition and although there must be plenty of pleased Tracer 900 owners, I wouldn’t buy one without another test ride. It was about four years ago and since, I know, it has undergone change albeit, euro 5 has subsequently been introduced… probably to the detriment of inherent vibes perhaps. I found the engine radiated vibrations across the bike. Vibes Into the throttle grip were particularly irritating. As a rider who enjoys twisty back roads as well as touring, it’s my tendency to hold lower gears and get the motors spinning on the B roads which reveals an engine’s balance. Can’t say my current 1250 is that good at least not as good as my 2017 GSA for smoothness.

You could consider a V Strom 1000. Heavier than a Tracer but I believe a lower seat than a GS. Quality is excellent as is the suspension. Motor is a peach. The 1050 exhibits more vibes. VS1000 quite easy to get off the centre stand.

Decision made….. staying with the GS, to trade it back in after only a couple of weeks would do it’s abilities an injustice and after the new bike glow of the 9GT faded I’ve a fairly good idea there would be a large dose of coulda woulda shoulda. The GT is very good but I think would be best sampled after I’ve experienced the GS for a good while and have a reason to change, rather than an excuse

Decision made….. staying with the GS, to trade it back in after only a couple of weeks would do it’s abilities an injustice and after the new bike glow of the 9GT faded I’ve a fairly good idea there would be a large dose of coulda woulda shoulda. The GT is very good but I think would be best sampled after I’ve experienced the GS for a good while and have a reason to change, rather than an excuse

Thanks for letting us know.

Just curious, did the contributions to your opening post help you at all?

It depend if pillion eat 5 vegetables a week, or 5 big pizzas. :D

Unfortunately it is the latter.

She couldn’t put her hands on the grab rails because her a**e was in the way.

Caviat..this may not apply to all pillions :D

I had a test on a 9GT before I got my GS.

Honestly I liked it and would have bought it if it hadn’t been for Mrs S not feeling comfortable on the pillion.

For solo riding it would be ideal and the weight difference between that and the GS is quite noticeable.

That said my test was a short one and I’d have preferred more time on it.

The 9 GT does seem to have much better pillion accommodation than the previous version, as well as better suspension, but I guess most pillions will have been spoilt by the GS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoGRAylaIhs

I don't think you'll be disappointed once yiu get used to it. If you have either engine bars or MachineArt xheads if yiu do drop it you'll likely do no damage other than maybe a minor scrape to a mirror or handguard and as they sit on the cylinder pot they are quite easy to pick up.too :blast

I'm 5'7" and to get mine off it's centre stand I position myself on the left hand side of the bike stood behind the left cylinder with my left foot further away from the bike but also further forward so my right foot is behind it and closer to the bike. I also cover the front brake with my right hand and have the bars so the front wheel is pointing slightly to the right and have the sidestand down as a fail safe. This provides a nice stable base from which to use my body to just the rock the bike off the stand and as the rear wheel hits the ground I apply the front brake. I then have a triangle of support between my legs and both wheels and because I had the front wheel is just slightly off centre the bike leans just enough off vertical towards me to make things very stable if that makes sense?

https://youtu.be/jpD2cuff3u4

I persevered for a while with my 1250 - loved it to ride, but my stubby little 29” legs meant that I always felt it was going to land on top of me at a junction, despite the low chassis & seat (came close a few times). I tried the Tiger 900, which was a great bike but didn’t fit me (shirt arms) and the Tracer 9GT which looked perfect on paper but I hated the engine & ride. Realised I’m a BMW man, and what I really wanted was a smaller GS. Fortunately BMW have got that covered so I tried the 850GS, which is very off-road biased and I ended up with a 750GS, which felt much better on the road. I miss the character of the big boxer engine, but the 853cc twin (the 750, 850 & 900 are all actually the same 853cc motor) has more than enough power and in every other respect it’s as good as the 1250 was.

Back
Top Bottom