Firmware Update costs ?

stevemadge

Reaction score
Is It normal to me charged for the latest Firmware ? My GSA is still under Warranty and at my 6000 service the dealer said it was free as warranty work to deal with issues. I have had my 12000 service today and have just noticed that I have been charged £24 for the latest update that I did ask them to do.

Is It normal to me charged for the latest Firmware ? My GSA is still under Warranty and at my 6000 service the dealer said it was free as warranty work to deal with issues. I have had my 12000 service today and have just noticed that I have been charged £24 for the latest update that I did ask them to do.

new bike with TFT take about 3 hour to update if you ask, so price not so bad, warranty and problems will be free.

What?! How is this right, who charges for the latest firmware, apple, samsung, Xerox, HP and just about anyone else I can think of don't. My Mum's car was also updated during it's last annual service and she wasn't charged, I know, because I picked it up.

My ex dealer charges £15 for a test ride! Just had my Volvo's 36,000 mile service, software update was free.

My BMW car software is updated via my phone app.

Update is downloaded to phone via WiFi then the phone transfers it to the car

I wonder if bikes can do the same?

My BMW car software is updated via my phone app.

Update is downloaded to phone via WiFi then the phone transfers it to the car

I wonder if bikes can do the same?

Maybe for the head unit but the other modules require a 70-100 AMP power supply when updating. BMW require a 30AMP power supply for bikes

The point is the dealer isn’t going to do it for free unless they can charge the time back to BMW. They might do it as a goodwill gesture if they feel like it. BMW won’t pay the dealer for doing an update unless there’s an agreed fault. So complain to the manufacturer :)

What?! How is this right, who charges for the latest firmware, apple, samsung, Xerox, HP and just about anyone else I can think of don't. My Mum's car was also updated during it's last annual service and she wasn't charged, I know, because I picked it up.
Kind of agree, when UNDER WARRANTY (which is essentially a maintenance contract for the term of the Warranty). Once out of Warranty I would expect Firmware upgrades to be chargeable unless the customer extends the Warranty with the original manufacturer...

Recently asked my dealer to do a software update. The lady that answered the phone was quite tactile in saying, "if you need a software update and it's something you've requested without there being a problem then there is a charge of £85. If on the other hand you are having problems with connectivity then it is something we must correct under warranty!...... Are you having a problem with connectivity sir?" To which I replied......" oh yes, now you come to mention it!"...... "Thank you sir, we'll see to that when it comes in". It did need an update and it took 30 mins

Back
Top Bottom