Mizen to Malin

Reggie353

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going on a short tour this week. Heading on Friday morning from Belfast to Bantry down the N52 to Limerick and then was going to call in to Hourigan’s Morotcycle and then on down to Ballyhickey for Friday night.

Saturday will be a meander from Mizen up to Newport in Mayo via Molls Gap and the Cliff’s of Moher.

Sunday will be Newport to Malin and then onto our place in Castlerock.

Monday will be Castlerock to Belfast down the coast road.

Any must see’s along the way? Looking forward to the ferry at Tarbert and also the road from Mulranny to Bangor (N59).

Keep an eye for a black and yellow 40 year.
5eed3bcd21c49702970edc55b5ba84ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avoid Lisdoonvarna its a shit hole BUT Doolin and Lahinch are worth a stop by

Cliffs of Moher were a Tourist trap last time we were there 5 yrs ago for Honeymoon out from the North Pole to the South Pole

Are you're old enough to remember the Quiet Man with John Wayne ?? If so BallyGlunin railway station was the Castletown station in the movie I have a Pin dropped for the co ordinates and its right beside the road so you can park and walk maybe 50 feet in to the station and not worry about sweatin your nads off in bike clothes

Also the Quiet Man bridge is up that way

When we were there it was to be restored as a Quiet Man museum

Avoid Lisdoonvarna its a shit hole BUT Doolin and Lahinch are worth a stop by

Cliffs of Moher were a Tourist trap last time we were there 5 yrs ago for Honeymoon out from the North Pole to the South Pole

Are you're old enough to remember the Quiet Man with John Wayne ?? If so BallyGlunin railway station was the Castletown station in the movie I have a Pin dropped for the co ordinates and its right beside the road so you can park and walk maybe 50 feet in to the station and not worry about sweatin your nads off in bike clothes

Also the Quiet Man bridge is up that way

When we were there it was to be restored as a Quiet Man museum

Agreed with Lisdoonvarna. Was there 15 years ago. Not much to see.

ill take a look at Ballyglunin. Love The Quiet Man and have done the Cong tourist stuff many years ago.

We were there last year, wonderful place

NEWPORT.... The Port Chipper just over the bridge, handy outside seating, handy parking, good fish and chips, scenic view...... was there this afternoon and enjoyed it. Safe riding.

NEWPORT.... The Port Chipper just over the bridge, handy outside seating, handy parking, good fish and chips, scenic view...... was there this afternoon and enjoyed it. Safe riding.

Was through it 2 weeks ago. That’s why I wanted to stay there.

Will maybe give the chipper a go.

Looks like the chipper will get a go. Restaurant in hotel closed for 2021.

Also in Newport, if you're looking for something a bit better than a chippy, is Grainne Uaile restaurant

and it's right beside the chippy so you could peruse both and make your mind up..... I think you will need to report back on the Newport stop!:thumby::aidan

Also, when you get off the Tarbert ferry and head north up through county Clare on the N67 the Bellbridge House Hotel might be open for a lunch stop... take the left there anyway and route the coast back to the N67 (only 5 KM).

Other lunch options that day are Monks of Ballyvaughan or a bit further and into County Galway is Paddy Burkes in Clarinbridge (if you are into chowder this is a must, consistently excellent)

Gap of Dunloe (not far from Molls Gap) is a lovely bit of road. Dunree Fort and the Gap of Mamore on the Inishowen Peninsula are worth a visit but maybe you have been there seeing as you have a place in Castlerock.

Gap of Dunloe (not far from Molls Gap) is a lovely bit of road. Dunree Fort and the Gap of Mamore on the Inishowen Peninsula are worth a visit but maybe you have been there seeing as you have a place in Castlerock.

123947ad8a1a0ed43a14d51ea9c5afea.jpg

Was there a couple of weeks ago. Stunning part of the world.

Will look at Gap of Dunlop.

and it's right beside the chippy so you could peruse both and make your mind up..... I think you will need to report back on the Newport stop!:thumby::aidan

Also, when you get off the Tarbert ferry and head north up through county Clare on the N67 the Bellbridge House Hotel might be open for a lunch stop... take the left there anyway and route the coast back to the N67 (only 5 KM).

Other lunch options that day are Monks of Ballyvaughan or a bit further and into County Galway is Paddy Burkes in Clarinbridge (if you are into chowder this is a must, consistently excellent)

Was planning on going up the N67. I’ll report back on Newport. Looks a good spot.

I'm not doing this on purpose John, honest :blush But...
Having been a fan of Monks for many years I've switched more to Pier Head Inn in Kinvara the last while - great calamari & one of the best chowders you can find
Still like sitting by the fire in Monks on a cold wet day though ;)

I'm not doing this on purpose John, honest :blush But...
Having been a fan of Monks for many years I've switched more to Pier Head Inn in Kinvara the last while - great calamari & one of the best chowders you can find
Still like sitting by the fire in Monks on a cold wet day though ;)

:D:D It's all good! I think it's great to get food recommendations... you can be sure I'll be in Pier Head before the summer is out to try it. NO PRESSURE OP, but I hope you like chowder :D:D:aidan

Back
Top Bottom