Bony butt. . .

ninjafox

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I've done a few thousand KM on the GSA now and I think I need a softer seat.

I've got a back issue that flares up a bit at times but isn't too bad.

I've a bony ass, generally, and can find long stints on bikes sore.

While it takes longer for me to become sore on the GSA, it still happens.

Anyone have any recommendations for good, more comfortable seats!?

Cheers!

Suggest you have a search, they will be various suggestions from the inflatable Air Hawk pads, a piece of sheep skin, though the answer probable lies in a seat change, you can get your own seat fitted with a gel insert. For me I found a Sargent seat very comfortable, it is a bit wider than normal, so if you are struggling with seat height always consider that as it makes a tiny bit of difference in how easy it is to then put your feet down. There are other good comfort seats out there too.

Another simple suggestion is to put your front high and keep the back low, you may be having the angle of the seat playing a part in your comfport.

GLWTS

If you haven't already got some try some cycling underwear as not only does it have a bit of padding but they don't have seams that create pressure points either :beerjug:

Same boney butt here.
Tried Air Hawk, sheepskin and now have a gel pad as used by horse riders.
Best solution so far.

... Though i know a bloke with a gel pad with a sheepskin on top of it. He rates it as the best.

Good luck in your search.

I've tried sheepskin, Air Hawk and sheepskin+Air Hawk. I've done 400 miles plus using the Air Hawk and not had any problems. I am, however, well padded so may well have different results to you. If you weren't so far away I'd lend you mine for a trial. Maybe someone closer could help.

What about addressing the root cause - it's known as dormant butt syndrome in gym bunny circles: -

............. https://www.healthline.com/health/flat-butt

Gel pad or airhawk should help in the meantime.

Many find, when they switch to an adventure bike, that the upright riding position exacerbates the problem - adding risers probably doesn't help either. Others say it's their knees, no longer able to act as shock absorbers on the bumpy stuff. In the US the older Iron Butt guys usually go for a Russell Day Long seat.

Back
Top Bottom