Warning - buying a Cardo from a non-UK retailer

yofi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just something to be aware of. If you have an issue with your Cardo within warranty and you purchased from the UK then the warranty will be supported by the sole importers, Pama Limited. (I've found them to be helpful guys). If however, like me, you bought from an overseas retailer then you could face issues, as sorting out your issue and addressing any warranty issue gets pushed back to Cardo support.

My Cardo appears to be screwed, and whilst I'm still in email discussions with Cardo support, it's proving painful, and I'm not confident that I will easily find a resolution.

In hindsight, always best to buy tech items from a UK retailer though tbh, hadn't quite realised the situation.

I bought mine (2018) from an Italian retailer on Ebay (Di Liberti Ricambi Moto, Livorno). The units they sold me, though said to be new, were in fact reconditioned returns. They were completely hopeless so far as support was concerned.

To my surprise, Cardo UK were quite helpful. The issues were never resolved and they eventually went in the bin.

I have occasional issues with my Cardo Packtalk powering itself off for no apparent reason. It also has been known to get locked into a sub mode or something, for me having the audacity to press the 'phone' button when it doesn't connect automatically. When it works it's great, but I've lost count of the times I've nearly unclipped it and thrown it into the nearest bush. Mine was bought from Louis.de while we were in the EU, which is perfectly above board, yet Cardo UK did not want to know. Considering how buggy their product is, and going off how much sheer frustration there is in many forums and Cardo groups, you would think they'd have a healthier attitude to supporting their customers - but no.

Last time I buy a Cardo, useless POS that it is.

My first Cardo suffered from the known issue of the power socket coming adrift and prevented charging etc
Returned after submitting warranty claim
Cardo provided returns number and address of Uk agent
About a week after old unit sent a new one was received
Cardo help desk were fine to deal with

I bought mine (2018) from an Italian retailer on Ebay (Di Liberti Ricambi Moto, Livorno). The units they sold me, though said to be new, were in fact reconditioned returns. They were completely hopeless so far as support was concerned.

To my surprise, Cardo UK were quite helpful. The issues were never resolved and they eventually went in the bin.
I bought a set this year - - and it’s also destined for the bin !

I have an original Packtalk which I've had for at least 6 years and it has been faultless, so must have been lucky. I had a G9 before that which had issues, but as I bought from a UK distributor it was swapped and again it performed ok for years until the battery packed up and that is when I moved to the Packtalk. Maybe the later Bolds are buggy, but even on the Packtalk facebook page, there are as many that have no issues to ones that do. Think the manual could be better as a lot of issues are resolved by users and setup. You always hear about the issues but not the 1000s of customers who don't have any problems. I would buy Cardo again :)

I agree that you'll always hear about the ones that go kaput than the many that last and do well. That's not the issue per se, but the poor support from Cardo. On this occasion I provided full details of how my unit was set up and what steps I had tried to rectify the fault and in return after 2 days I was sent a template email asking me to do all the things I'd already tried. After 2 more days had passed they then sent exactly the same instructions plus two more procedures. That was 2 days ago, not heard back yet. I could be doing them a disservice but I smell pushback at all costs.

As I say the UK distributor has been as helpful as they can, and have even offered to escalate through the business if the support from Cardo is not forthcoming.

Yofi. Why would the UK importer be helpful when they haven’t sold you the unit. A European importer made the profit on the sale, not the UK one. Perhaps you should just return it to the supplying dealer then buy one in the UK. Then you will get support. :okay

I agree that you'll always hear about the ones that go kaput than the many that last and do well. That's not the issue per se, but the poor support from Cardo. On this occasion I provided full details of how my unit was set up and what steps I had tried to rectify the fault and in return after 2 days I was sent a template email asking me to do all the things I'd already tried. After 2 more days had passed they then sent exactly the same instructions plus two more procedures. That was 2 days ago, not heard back yet. I could be doing them a disservice but I smell pushback at all costs.

As I say the UK distributor has been as helpful as they can, and have even offered to escalate through the business if the support from Cardo is not forthcoming.

Have you tried on the Packtalk facebook page, there is a very helpful and active community on there, there is also an official Cardo facebook page, which seems to get attention if you post.

Problems with Electrical and tech stuff - you - what a surprise !

You really are the unluckiest man alive with anything requiring electricity aren't you :D

Slight off but still on the subject of UK retailers

My Sena kit was faulty - the battery would last an hour or less on a full charge after just over a year of light use.

Sportsbike shop were superb. Sent me a returns label, and then sent me a new set within 3 days !

So Yes buy from a reputable UK dealer rather than save a couple of quid

Problems with Electrical and tech stuff - you - what a surprise !

You really are the unluckiest man alive with anything requiring electricity aren't you :D
You're making yourself look a bit vindictive and childish.

Slight off but still on the subject of UK retailers

My Sena kit was faulty - the battery would last an hour or less on a full charge after just over a year of light use.

Sportsbike shop were superb. Sent me a returns label, and then sent me a new set within 3 days !

So Yes buy from a reputable UK dealer rather than save a couple of quid
So, even you? Surely not!

You're making yourself look a bit vindictive and childish.

So, even you? Surely not!

Not really, it always just makes me chuckle, not in a nasty way as in wishing bad luck on you type thing but always amazed at the electrical failures that befall you !

And yes even me occasionally stuff fails thats a fact

After more than a week of emails of asking me to test this and that, Cardo have now asked me to return the unit for a replacement. I'm having to pay to send it back (overseas) which seems a bit 'off' but hopefully all will end well.

Back
Top Bottom