New Nav 6 'Refresh' and BMW Connect

BigT

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Last week Garmin replaced my BMW Nav VI, originally purchased May 2018, for the 4th time. The usual problems (ghosting etc), replaced by a supposedly new unit which, immediately exhibited the same problem. Those replacement units came as stand alones in plain wrapping. I suspect they were refurbed and not new.

Last week Garmin's latest replacement arrived which they said would be a 'Refresh' version. And so it is, presented in a new sealed box with all the accessories included. It is certainly different software, presentation wise (version 10). Whether the screen construction is new is yet to be decided, though I suspect it is. This is of course subjective without an original Nav 6 to directly compare with, but the screen seems clearer and certainly quicker to refresh. Apart from that and the monochrome menu most things, so far, remain the same as before.

Now, my Samsung S21 (android), BMW TFT, N-Com (Sena) 902X combo connected in that order works well. The BMW Connect App IMHO is both impressive and useful. Yesterday I added the new 'Refresh' Nav 6 to the mix and paired it with my headset disarming 'Calls' and 'Contacts' to avoid, I hoped, conflicts prefering to use the TFT for calls and media controlled by the Wonder Wheel. Initially all was good receiving clear turn by turns from BMW Connect and 'ding' alarms from the Nav 6 when approaching speed cameras for example. I then changed over from the BMW Connect navigation to the Garmin Nav 6. Again all worked well, especially when the Nav 6 volume was turned down to 40%. (any higher created distortion). Clear turn by turn etc. I then went back to the BMW Connect Nav and could not get any voice from it. Clearly there is a conflict. If anyone else has experienced this and has a fix I'm all ears :).

Stay safe and well.

Best regards,

Tony.

I too use a nav 6 refresh,it does seem much better than the plain 6,but in all my years of having various sat navs have never felt the need to hear instructions which are quite clear on the screen?
But hey if it's important to you so be it

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Any idea how far you travel at say 60mph, whilst glancing down at the Nav screen. Moreover, have you ever missed a turn with visual prompts only? But as you say, each to their own. Stay safe and well....Tony

Can't say i have tbh! It's only a glance

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

I much prefer to listen to directions and rarely look down at the sat nav. Taking your eyes off the road to me is a distraction I don't need.

For those with ghost you can try calibration and see if fix

For those with ghost you can try calibration and see if fix

I would suggest anyone with a Nav 6 that ghosts write to Garmin, even if its out of warranty. If you don't ask you won't get. Anyone in warranty should write with the ghosting issue regardless and get a 'Refresh' version. For €750+ its the least Garmin can do....

I would suggest anyone with a Nav 6 that ghosts write to Garmin, even if its out of warranty. If you don't ask you won't get. Anyone in warranty should write with the ghosting issue regardless and get a 'Refresh' version. For €750+ its the least Garmin can do....

Tried that, mine was out of warrant by 5 months, they very kindly offered my a new refurbished model for £145 which came with a 30 day warranty. My unit apparently although was just over 2 years since I bought it from BMW was actually over a year older than that. I didn't get the updated model though, just the standard VI

Tried that, mine was out of warrant by 5 months, they very kindly offered my a new refurbished model for £145 which came with a 30 day warranty. My unit apparently although was just over 2 years since I bought it from BMW was actually over a year older than that. I didn't get the updated model though, just the standard VI

Garmin and BMW want a kicking for this. Selling these GPS's at inflated prices because they have BMW written on them then when they are found to be entirely deficient refusing to replace them in certain cases. Moreover service varies in different countries, my original unit was bought in May 2018 with a new GTL in UK. I'm now on my 4th unit, exchanged in Austria where I now live.

I would get back to Garmin and suggest you will accept the offer IF they supply a 'Refresh version with a complete warranty. I often find that a little persistence can bear fruit? If they replace with a refurbed offering you can almost guarantee, if my experience is anything to go by, that this unit with its design fault will fail again. Be a pain in the neck and press them to see your point of view....good luck. Tony

Garmin just replaced my third faulty Nav 6 now 2 Years 9 months old so we’ll out of warranty £155 brand new Refresh unit with 2 years warranty, no issues since ��������

Garmin just replaced my third faulty Nav 6 now 2 Years 9 months old so we’ll out of warranty £155 brand new Refresh unit with 2 years warranty, no issues since ��������

Are you sure you got a 2 year warranty? I only got 90 days two months ago with a brand new refresh unit

From the Garmin UK site

A newly overhauled (NOH) device is a device that was returned to Garmin to be factory refurbished. Newly overhauled devices go through extensive testing to bring the devices up to the same specifications as when they were manufactured as new, maintaining high-quality standards. Newly overhauled devices will still have a one year manufacturer's warranty when purchased from a Garmin dealer.

Please note that newly overhauled (NOH) devices received as replacements for servicing will have either a 90-day warranty or the remainder of the original device's warranty, whichever is longer.

Are you sure you got a 2 year warranty? I only got 90 days two months ago with a brand new refresh unit

From the Garmin UK site

A newly overhauled (NOH) device is a device that was returned to Garmin to be factory refurbished. Newly overhauled devices go through extensive testing to bring the devices up to the same specifications as when they were manufactured as new, maintaining high-quality standards. Newly overhauled devices will still have a one year manufacturer's warranty when purchased from a Garmin dealer.

Please note that newly overhauled (NOH) devices received as replacements for servicing will have either a 90-day warranty or the remainder of the original device's warranty, whichever is longer.

Garmin have got some cheek. They know full well the design of the pre refresh version was faulty causing ghosting and failure to very many of them both in UK and around the globe. We will see how the 'Refresh' version fairs. If mine so much as blinks its going back. And I will not take no for an answer, nor will I be bullied by Garmin.

My refurbed unit was over a year old, they replaced it FOC when it developed the same fault as the previous nav.

My refurbed unit was over a year old, they replaced it FOC when it developed the same fault as the previous nav.

Ditto. Am on my 4th unit since the original purchase May 2018. All FOC and quite right to...

I much prefer to listen to directions and rarely look down at the sat nav. Taking your eyes off the road to me is a distraction I don't need.

So why have a tft with all the multitude of info if you don’t look at it. I find it hard to believe you don’t glance at the screen when it says turn next right….it is human instinct to do so

So why have a tft with all the multitude of info if you don’t look at it. I find it hard to believe you don’t glance at the screen when it says turn next right….it is human instinct to do so

Think about it. What's the last thing you want to do when driving through a strange busy town with traffic coming at you from all angles. Take your eyes off the road, correct? Audio enables you to do that. But if you want to Navigate only visually, carry on. No big deal, horses for courses.

Yes it’s not a refurbed unit its a new unit called Nav 6 Refresh , which is what dealers are now selling for £650 plus.they have no old units left , came in box with all new cables, case etc etc. I had previously turned down an offer off reconditioned unit with 90 Warranty earlier in month .
Result

I believe, as usual, there is truth in both sides of the argument. I don't look at the screen, phone, TFT or Nav 6, until I'm in the clear and have been given a prompt by the audio. For me the two go hand in hand. Around town, I live in downtown Vienna with Kamikaze cyclists, horse drawn carriages, trams, suicidal pedestrians and the occasionally aggressive Austrian wannabe Niki Lauda to cope with. Trust me its a heads up environment if you want to stay vertical. The tram lines are a complete bitch. My good buddy took is eye off the road looking at his Nav a few months ago, got caught in a tram rail and was all over the place dabbing a foot ripping several ligaments in the process. Not a good day. Valuable lesson learnt.

Anyone had the new Nav vi refresh & is it behaving itself ? Mainly from being free from the Ghosting issue. Ive just sent my old Nav vi back for replacement\repair and paid the £141. Im expecting them to send a refresh "new" version back but I'm a bit wary of the 90 day warranty mentioned on the email garmin sent when placing the order. Just hope if it does fail after 90 days they would fix\replace it & the text mentioning warranty terms for refurbished units is just standard for all types if devices they get back for refurb. (Smart watches etc
Etc.) . If everyones refurb "new" one has been ok i hope there wont be a problem anyway.

Back
Top Bottom