Has anyone bought the new Interphone U-Com 16?

Snelly55

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying one of these for a tour this month as the other guys have Sent headsets and this will connect. Has anyone used one? Any thoughts?

I can’t comment on that particular model but I have been using Interphone since 2016 and have found them to be good units.

Yes, I have one of the older models. Decent. Just wish the speakers were a bit louder!

Yes, I have one of the older models. Decent. Just wish the speakers were a bit louder!

Easily sorted. Try the pro sound kit if it fits your helmet. I fitted one in my shoei while using Interphone tour. Big improvement

Easily sorted. Try the pro sound kit if it fits your helmet. I fitted one in my shoei while using Interphone tour. Big improvement

Yep - done that. Small improvement although mic far better.

I am thinking of buying one of these for a tour this month as the other guys have Sent headsets and this will connect. Has anyone used one? Any thoughts?
Buy a Sena
Claims of inter brand ease of connection are over exaggerated

Buy a Sena
Claims of inter brand ease of connection are over exaggerated

Just bought new pro sound kit for Interphone so it would seem a bit of a shame to switch brands. Always see quite a few Sena for sale too - am not convinced by them!

Just bought new pro sound kit for Interphone so it would seem a bit of a shame to switch brands. Always see quite a few Sena for sale too - am not convinced by them!

I understand! The comment made because you say all your riding friends have senas (allowing for your mis type?) Having cardo myself, we have never managed to get a lasting connection to the 1 sena in our group

UCOM-16 being returned today. Won't charge and very buggy. Avoid!!

Wish I had seen this before I bought mine, main reason for upgrades were compatability with Sena and the Voice commands - they just do not work, tried talking to it, whispering to it, shouting at it and nothing.

Not got as far as trying to ride with a sena equiped mate, but want to return it while I can still demand full refund.

I have one, as do 3 of my buddies. We bought two 2-packs. Been excellent
Seamless integration with Sena via mesh.
Battery life good
Mine developed a dodgy microphone but the reseller swapped it immediately. All the others have been faultless
Chat all day on mesh when we're on European tours.
Two of my mates have Sena and it's one- button connectivity.
Fabulous

See

I use the Interphone Tour for work, and was a researched choice of brand for a large organisation.
The unit is clear and range is noticeably good over another unit that I have tried.
Voice commands for Google on Android are activated by pressing the phone button, and this makes my phone listen for voice commands.
No problems with playing music, or starting Google Maps for a directed route.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

The modern Interphone systems are rubbish.
....based upon what? Literally every person I know who's bought one think they're great. Reliable, clear, waterproof (unlike Sena) and well made. Mine's been faultless. I use it on my full face lid and a Sena Mesh2 on my Shoe flip lid. I prefer using the Ucomm because buttons are a lot easier to manage with gloved hands and voice commands seem to work well, unlilke the Sena. The irony is, they both use the same internal processors (Sena based).

....based upon what? Literally every person I know who's bought one think they're great. Reliable, clear, waterproof (unlike Sena) and well made. Mine's been faultless. I use it on my full face lid and a Sena Mesh2 on my Shoe flip lid. I prefer using the Ucomm because buttons are a lot easier to manage with gloved hands and voice commands seem to work well, unlilke the Sena. The irony is, they both use the same internal processors (Sena based).
Based on experience.
Original Tour model was fantastic, bought in 2015 IIRC, long battery life, (2.5 days), Good quality sound and lasted well. Im still using it in one of my helmets even now. Although the battery life has degraded somewhat.
Then onto an Avant in 2020 i think (2 chip system) worse battery performance. Poorer sound, Very unstable ( even now after all the updates it still won't turn off chip 2 when powering down, a known problem ) What happens for instance e is. You're wearing it but it's not powered up. Every now and then it tells you "connected to phone" or "battery mediocre" our such like.
I bought a U 16 when they first appeared as a replacement for the Avant. Poor battery, Range, connection etc . Binned it in the end.

Im happy that your lot likes them, crack on. But I won't be buying another, unless its the Tour model which i still use now, even with a worn out battery, its got better battery life than the newer models.

I started this topic and am with Stever1. I have had Sena and Interphone, as have riding buddies. Sena far superior in the view of our crowd.

BTW, I do understand different people have different requirements for these things.
I initially started with a wired system which was fantastic (not Autocom, the other one).
when that expired after about 12 years i went wireless.
My needs are simple, just being able to speak to a passenger, hear sat-nav instructions and talk to perhaps talk to 2 other bikes when on tour.
when I needed longer range comms I had a hard wired Intaride 803 with external aerial. which gave line of site up to about 8 miles. On one occasion I was north of Whitby and could get my number 2 who was at Guisborough.
I do find many riders who use mesh in large groups would do well to concentrate on the ride rather than talking. That's why i won't buy a mesh system.

I can only speak as I find. My Ucom16 has been faultless. Great range, brilliant with Mesh and has never let me down, unlike a previous cardo system (an older one). As for sena being better, I just can't see that being the case because they use the exact same transponder unit and processor as the Sena 50s (Sena have an agreement with Ucom for this) but have a better quality waterproof case and better battery life AND are cheaper. I've had no issues with battery life but even if I did, I'd simply buy the larger capacity battery as an option. I guess there'll always be a duff one as with many of these electronic gadgets. Conversely, a mate who has a Sena 10U attached to his Aria has had nothing but problems with it so is binning it and may be moving to a Ucom16.

BTW, I do understand different people have different requirements for these things.
I initially started with a wired system which was fantastic (not Autocom, the other one).
when that expired after about 12 years i went wireless.
My needs are simple, just being able to speak to a passenger, hear sat-nav instructions and talk to perhaps talk to 2 other bikes when on tour.
when I needed longer range comms I had a hard wired Intaride 803 with external aerial. which gave line of site up to about 8 miles. On one occasion I was north of Whitby and could get my number 2 who was at Guisborough.
I do find many riders who use mesh in large groups would do well to concentrate on the ride rather than talking. That's why i won't buy a mesh system.
Any comms system is open to chit chat, but Mesh has more advantages than disadvantages. One button connectivity for a start and allows a decent range compared with blue tooth. The only small groups I've ridden in are with like minded riders and we seldom chit chat aimlessly. If the last person is dropping back, it allows them to let the front guy know, it helps share directions or hazard warnings and whilst it's not a necessity it can be a handy tool if used responsibly. Idle chit chat would have me switching mine off, simple as that. I usually configure mine just to accept sat nav instructions and only use the intercom if riding in a group on an unfamiliar route generally. No-matter the sophistication, they'll never better a decent UHF coms system but that then relies on everyone else using one which few do these days.

Back
Top Bottom