From BMW to Honda via Goldwing

I decided to buy a KTM 390 Duke to complement my Goldwing DCT and I have to say it’s a great combination……for gravelly back lanes the 390 is my first choice! But the effortless ease of the big Wing is great after working the 390 hard….1833cc vs 375cc!

Been having a little farkling session with the Wing B. Fitted some LED fog/driving lights (removing the centre console to fit the on/off button was ...err....interesting!), Shad top box which I think matches the bike nicely and some Goldstrike highway pegs (bad knees:mad:), oh and a brake pedal enlarger, also from Goldstrike.:thumb2

Attachments

• GW10.jpg
    GW10.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 164
  • GW11.jpg
    GW11.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 168
  • GW12.jpg
    GW12.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 173
  • GW13.jpg
    GW13.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 160
Top box on the B! Not really thought of that, potential to save a few grand but does it work as well? Specifically in providing a comfortable backrest for the pillion.
I really like the mud grey colour. I think a ride to Dobles is on the cards for today:D

Thanks for that. £2k with the fitting kit. They also sell a rear rack for £500 but it’s only rated to take 3kg.

Been having a little farkling session with the Wing B. Fitted some LED fog/driving lights (removing the centre console to fit the on/off button was ...err....interesting!), Shad top box which I think matches the bike nicely and some Goldstrike highway pegs (bad knees:mad:), oh and a brake pedal enlarger, also from Goldstrike.:thumb2

Looking good Si. Top Box looks spot on.

I’m also very seriously considering a new touring. Had a decent test ride on a DCT and loved it. Then the latest RT with the adaptive CC came along and fell in love with that to. The truth is there is just nothing to match the GWT for comfort IMO. Two things are holding me back, will Honda add the Adaptive CC next year? Did any of you guys get a ‘deal’ if so where from?

As I ride solo the non touring would be the sensible choice but when has sensible ever come into the equation? :D

Love that top box Si….

Hi JR, I'm considering replacing my K16 and GS for a new GW tour as you have done. I've had a couple of test rides and generally I really like the Honda. But, though my missus does grace the pillion seat I mainly ride solo. I have access to a car (wifes) but only drive it when absolutely necessary so my question is do you think the GW can be an every day bike? I don't need a commuter anymore but I do live in the crowded South East, I'm an experienced rider and used to riding big bikes in traffic but worry I'll miss the nimbleness of my GS. I realise this is totally subjective and your needs may be totally different to mine but as you had a K16 and a GSA we can't be that different from what we want from our bikes! Any feedback would be gratefully received:thumby:

Hi, I had a real debate with myself when it came to the change to the 'Wing. I've had a number of K16's (love that bike) and a few GSA's. I wanted to go down to one bike as I just wasn't getting the use out of the two. I never intended to take the GSA off road, just enjoyed the fun the bike offers. Both good for touring but for the longer distances I would take the K16. Tesco trips? Well both suited me, so really the 'Wing was the best compromise. I generally ride solo too as the other half has the Kawasaki H2 SX SE (which she won't let me near), although she does like the pillion comfort of the Goldwing.

I've had a few Goldwings over the years too, so I am familiar with the older 'full fat' version. I followed one of the new slimline 'Wings over the hills of South Yorkshire whilst on board my 939SP, and I was able to see at first hand how well the bike could be ridden through the twisties, even as it was two up. That kind of made my mind up.

They are still a big lump at a hefty 390kgs, but once the wheels roll they're feather light. As you say it's totally subjective, but I'm convinced the decision is right for me. For now at least :D

Looking good Si. Top Box looks spot on.

Cheers Doc. (How are you doing by the way?) That top box set up was circa. £300-£350 all in. It will only be on the bike for the odd occasion when Mrs. Big Si wants to come with me. She's tried it and says it very comfortable....fuck paying £2k from Honda.

I'm now waiting for the Two Brothers Racing slip on exhausts to be delivered from the 'States, for some flat 6 rumble!!;):D

Cheers Doc. (How are you doing by the way?) That top box set up was circa. £300-£350 all in. It will only be on the bike for the odd occasion when Mrs. Big Si wants to come with me. She's tried it and says it very comfortable....fuck paying £2k from Honda.

I'm now waiting for the Two Brothers Racing slip on exhausts to be delivered from the 'States, for some flat 6 rumble!!;):D

I'm good pal. I bought the RT for me and Jayne. The GSA and K1600b gone. The luggage capacity on the Goldwing for two up put me off a bit.
PS. The Harley is just for me solo now,:D

I'm good pal. I bought the RT for me and Jayne. The GSA and K1600b gone. The luggage capacity on the Goldwing for two up put me off a bit.
PS. The Harley is just for me solo now,:D

Likewise with me Doc. I did toy with the idea of selling my RK, then I had a serious word with myself. The police seat goes back on today (not a 5 minute job) as it is much more comfortable and the bike handles better for it.

Yep, the pannier capacity isn't great on the GW, but I bought a pair of the pannier bags and it surprising what you can get in them....ample room for a 2 up long weekend tour as we discovered on a trip down south a few weeks ago.

I’m also very seriously considering a new touring. Had a decent test ride on a DCT and loved it. Then the latest RT with the adaptive CC came along and fell in love with that to. The truth is there is just nothing to match the GWT for comfort IMO. Two things are holding me back, will Honda add the Adaptive CC next year? Did any of you guys get a ‘deal’ if so where from?

As I ride solo the non touring would be the sensible choice but when has sensible ever come into the equation? :D

Love that top box Si….

Thanks Bud:thumb

Not knocking the Goldwing, I,was convinced I was going buy one and if I’d just had a short test ride I certainly would have

By a quirk of fate and a balls up by a salesman I got one to keep for four days

With the longer test I got to know the bike a lot better and in the end decided not to get one

Obviously these are just my options but here is my summary…

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/559955-Goldwing……-nearly

:agree... with all of Leadfarmer’s review comments….

Long test ride a must – over a week-end preferably,
Luggage for a Grande Tourer :blast,
Radio is a PITA…. Can’t turn the damn thing off!
Honda plastics/paintwork mark’s up easily…..quality not as good as BMW IMHO....:hide

DCT – Appreciate it’s a great piece of Honda engineering, but unfortunately I couldn’t really get on with it, particularly at low speed or at low urban city commuting/filtering ect kangarooing up the high street. :tigger Sport mode very impressive on the open road however.

I’m glad to have tried the new Goldwing owner experience…and despite the above niggles, there are a lot of positives. Although, I wasn’t sad to see it gone when I traded it in (if that makes sense). Even if Mr Honda resolves the niggles, can’t really see myself being tempted to get another one.

The more a rode the GW, the less joy or kick I got out of riding it. I starting feeling like I was just riding an overweight scooter.
Only my opinion, but for me, the K1600GTL is better in every respect, and the more I ride the K1600, the more I enjoy it which is quite the opposite experience to the GW.

:agree... with all of Leadfarmer’s review comments….

Long test ride a must – over a week-end preferably,
Luggage for a Grande Tourer :blast,
Radio is a PITA…. Can’t turn the damn thing off!
Honda plastics/paintwork mark’s up easily…..quality not as good as BMW IMHO....:hide

DCT – Appreciate it’s a great piece of Honda engineering, but unfortunately I couldn’t really get on with it, particularly at low speed or at low urban city commuting/filtering ect kangarooing up the high street. :tigger Sport mode very impressive on the open road however.

I’m glad to have tried the new Goldwing owner experience…and despite the above niggles, there are a lot of positives. Although, I wasn’t sad to see it gone when I traded it in (if that makes sense). Even if Mr Honda resolves the niggles, can’t really see myself being tempted to get another one.

The more a rode the GW, the less joy or kick I got out of riding it. I starting feeling like I was just riding an overweight scooter.
Only my opinion, but for me, the K1600GTL is better in every respect, and the more I ride the K1600, the more I enjoy it which is quite the opposite experience to the GW.

Thats quite interesting. I SO wanted a K16 and had a long test ride. After 350 miles I decided other than engine power it was just an expensive RT without any "character". You could have saved thousands by getting the RT

Thats quite interesting. I SO wanted a K16 and had a long test ride. After 350 miles I decided other than engine power it was just an expensive RT without any "character". You could have saved thousands by getting the RT

......:jes

Back
Top Bottom