From BMW to Honda via Goldwing

J.R.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Decided to give up my K16 and GSA and swerved away for the 2021 Honda Winnebago :D

Amazing machine and rapid enough (for me) in Sport, I'm looking forward to getting some miles clocked up on the beastie :thumb2

Attachments

• Goldwing.jpg
    Goldwing.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 475
That’s a stunning looking piece of kit.
Had one of the original GL1000’s back in the day, so would love to take one for a test ride just to experience how much they’ve advanced.

Lovely - I shall be interested to hear how it compares with your K16 once you have a few miles under your belt.

My K16 was a bit of a disaster, so we went across to the good old solid, reliable FJR13 a while back. Nevertheless I've been tempted by that big 6 Honda motor & DCT for a couple of years, but decided to defer bike changes until the pandemic is truly in the rear view mirror.

Is it a DCT?

Yes, it is the DCT version. First noticeable difference I found was riding at very low speed I would normally like to tweak the clutch a little to keep my momentum and balance - no longer possible of course as it doesn't have one. I'm sure I will get in to it soon enough :D

You are right about the colour! Cheers :thumb

Better colour imo.....but then again I would say that...(also a DCT:thumb2)

(Congrats on the new bike OP!:thumb2)

Attachments

• Goldwing worcs.jpg
    Goldwing worcs.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 368
DITTO

Love it

Attachments

• C30C8876-25A7-4FAB-A2C0-58FDEB10B3DD.jpg
    C30C8876-25A7-4FAB-A2C0-58FDEB10B3DD.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 378
J.R. Did I meet you and chat about your Gold Wing DCT at ABVGNY bus station on Tuesday ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is the DCT version. First noticeable difference I found was riding at very low speed I would normally like to tweak the clutch a little to keep my momentum and balance - no longer possible of course as it doesn't have one. I'm sure I will get in to it soon enough :D

I went up on a local old WW2 airfield runway the other day that the local IAM use and tried some low speed slaloms for practice with it. My conclusion was that I need a lot more practice.:eek::D

Good bike, in the second best colour. :D Red/black coloured ones being faster, more economical, better at low speed, smoother, better looking and the blokes riding them are better looking. (I may have made that up )

Good bike, in the second best colour. :D Red/black coloured ones being faster, more economical, better at low speed, smoother, better looking and the blokes riding them are better looking. (I may have made that up )

Sounds about right! ;)

Hi JR, I'm considering replacing my K16 and GS for a new GW tour as you have done. I've had a couple of test rides and generally I really like the Honda. But, though my missus does grace the pillion seat I mainly ride solo. I have access to a car (wifes) but only drive it when absolutely necessary so my question is do you think the GW can be an every day bike? I don't need a commuter anymore but I do live in the crowded South East, I'm an experienced rider and used to riding big bikes in traffic but worry I'll miss the nimbleness of my GS. I realise this is totally subjective and your needs may be totally different to mine but as you had a K16 and a GSA we can't be that different from what we want from our bikes! Any feedback would be gratefully received:thumby:

Hi JR, I'm considering replacing my K16 and GS for a new GW tour as you have done. I've had a couple of test rides and generally I really like the Honda. But, though my missus does grace the pillion seat I mainly ride solo. I have access to a car (wifes) but only drive it when absolutely necessary so my question is do you think the GW can be an every day bike? I don't need a commuter anymore but I do live in the crowded South East, I'm an experienced rider and used to riding big bikes in traffic but worry I'll miss the nimbleness of my GS. I realise this is totally subjective and your needs may be totally different to mine but as you had a K16 and a GSA we can't be that different from what we want from our bikes! Any feedback would be gratefully received:thumby:

If you do get one, get DCT version as the creep forward/backwards device is a good idea and helps greatly in tight spaces. I’ve done 6500 miles on mine now and I really like it. However, even I must admit that’s it’s a bit big to do the “ just popping down to the shop “ thing.

I have had both the GS and K1600 and the RT and this goldwing is as nimble if not better than those bikes the power and smoothness of the engine has to be experienced to believe and in sport mode its nuts but the best thing about the goldwing is you don’t have that niggling feeling every time you go out on it ,is going to break down that you get on a BMW .Try one you will be surprised .The first ride out i had on it I didn’t stop for 5 hours it was too much fun and comfortable

I have had both the GS and K1600 and the RT and this goldwing is as nimble if not better than those bikes the power and smoothness of the engine has to be experienced to believe and in sport mode its nuts but the best thing about the goldwing is you don’t have that niggling feeling every time you got out on it is it going to break down that you get on a BMW .Try one you will be surprised .The first ride out i had on it I didn’t stop for 5 hours it was too much fun and comfortable

Agreed

Not knocking the Goldwing, I,was convinced I was going buy one and if I’d just had a short test ride I certainly would have

By a quirk of fate and a balls up by a salesman I got one to keep for four days

With the longer test I got to know the bike a lot better and in the end decided not to get one

Obviously these are just my options but here is my summary…

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/559955-Goldwing……-nearly

Back
Top Bottom