What's going on here then?

Gelandestrasse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Zero-houred engine ready for installation.

Just back from being painted:

Frame
Swing arm
Headlamp cowl
Headlamp brackets
Sub-frame
Bracket for power socket.

Attachments

• IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1744.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 1,755
  • IMG_1742.jpg
    IMG_1742.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 1,777
I saw the start of the restoration of Tim's r90s yesterday and it looks very sweet indeed.

The story begins on 16 Feb 1978 when a BMW R90S reg UFH2* is bought for £1899 by Trevor John Linahan, with a down payment of £30 and a trade-in of a 1976 Triumph T140V (NUC995P) for £600. There was £1300 on hire purchase. Dealer: Hexagon of Highgate Ltd N6 4QA (now houses). A pair of Krauser panniers was supplied for £20.95. There was a 1 month/1000 mile guarantee! Fast forward to June 2016 when, with different reg number, I bought the bike from his widow. It had been standing in a dry garage for about 20 years; he passed 5 years after that. She wanted it to go to a good home.

*UFH2 is now on a yellow 1998 K1200 currently taxed and MOT'd.

Attachments

• IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 1,654
  • IMG_3203.jpg
    IMG_3203.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 1,656
  • IMG_3205.jpg
    IMG_3205.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 1,659
  • IMG_3204.jpg
    IMG_3204.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 1,654
It took a year to check through the engine and rescue the petrol tank (it had 2-3 inches of rusty sludge in it) before I was brave enough to start it. I had to replace a few sundries, like starter solenoid, voltage regulator, and provide missing parts like HT leads, this and that. But it came up reasonably well. This shot is at the last MOT in May 2020. She was going very well indeed, but not a brilliant starter, and the engine had vibes like my other Airheads didn't. She smoked a bit, too. I replaced the rings, which worked for about 500 miles, then back smoking again. Especially from the right hand side....

Attachments

• IMG_8544.jpg
    IMG_8544.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 1,627
Traded in a T140 for a BMW? A very wise (if expensive) move!

Keep it coming please. :thumb2

Originality.

I loved the bike's look, the patina, the worn parts on the tank. I wanted to keep it like that and claim it was original and not restored. However, on 2 Apr 1983 at Ongar Motorcycles Ltd, CM5 9AA, (now Emily-Louise Florists), the cockpit fairing and seat surround were repainted. Also, in Dec 1985 the bike needed a damage repair quote and Feb 1986 the following items were replaced by Ongar, for the princely sum of £670:

New front wheel
New Cockpit Fairing
New fork tubes
New o/s wing mirror
New footrest rubbers.

So the only surviving paintwork seemed to be the tank and the side panels and possibly the front mudguard. The side panels were in poor condition, paint wise (micro-blistering). So I sourced another tank (talk about holy grail) and bundled everything else up to be repainted. I still have the original tank.

Attachments

• new tank.jpg
    new tank.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 1,542
A little competition.

Looking at the engine in the first post, see if you can guess the upgrades/repairs that might have taken place? There are one or 2 clues.

Sadly no prizes, only honour.

apologies for interrupting flow on this thread - did you " rescue " original tank yourself or did you outsource ?

apologies for interrupting flow on this thread - did you " rescue " original tank yourself or did you outsource ?

It was rescued using Fertan Rust Converter (250ml) and TAPOX Fuel Tank Sealer - Ethanol proof (got that from BUGAD/feked.com as they are local to me). Picture shows tank being dried out on my custom 'petrol tank drier system' in the kitchen. That was in Nov 2017 and the tank is just the same, and in use today on another bike while the spare tank is away being sprayed.

Attachments

• IMG_3667.jpg
    IMG_3667.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 1,214
It was rescued using Fertan Rust Converter (250ml) and TAPOX Fuel Tank Sealer - Ethanol proof (got that from BUGAD/feked.com as they are local to me). Picture shows tank being dried out on my custom 'petrol tank drier system' in the kitchen. That was in Nov 2017 and the tank is just the same, and in use today on another bike while the spare tank is away being sprayed.

Thank you

A little competition.

Looking at the engine in the first post, see if you can guess the upgrades/repairs that might have taken place? There are one or 2 clues.

Sadly no prizes, only honour.
Airbox cover?

Sent from my CPN-W09 using Tapatalk

The best petrol tank and walking boots/wellies drier/lamb warmer ever invented! We have even restored calves to life beside the one on the farm!

Back
Top Bottom