CalMac Ferries

Smithmas

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello - Just over a week away from my 14 day tour around the Outer Hebrides & Scotland. It cannot come soon enough!

Whilst island hopping I spend plenty of time on CalMac ferries - what is the situation, are the bikes strapped down during the crossings etc? Are they responsible for strapping them down etc.

First major bike trip for me, so any advice gratefully received.

Cheers Mark

I used CalMac when going to and from Mull,

ride on, put on centre stand - stay with your bike

same as going across to Strontian every time ive been

On the longer crossings they strap the bike down for you, normally side stand, in gear then they strap over the seat. This week from Mallaig they put chocks at both wheels and also came and removed it all before we arrived, unlike some other operators. Usually folk about, just ask them

I used CalMac when going to and from Mull,

ride on, put on centre stand - stay with your bike

same as going across to Strontian every time ive been

You obviously took the Lochaline ferry over (15 minutes) Corran ferry is 5 mintues..ish.

If you're crossing the Minch you'll know all about it if it's choppy for two hours and you haven't strapped your bike down.

In answer to the question it will be relevant to which crossing you are doing.

You obviously took the Lochaline ferry over (15 minutes) Corran ferry is 5 mintues..ish.

If you're crossing the Minch you'll know all about it if it's choppy for two hours and you haven't strapped your bike down.

In answer to the question it will be relevant to which crossing you are doing.

Did both ferries - Lochlaline going and Kilchoan coming back

Oban to Mull….Ride on to dedicated bike space as guided by deck hand. Line up seat with ratchet strap. Leave in first gear on side stand. They strap it down.

Hello - Just over a week away from my 14 day tour around the Outer Hebrides & Scotland. It cannot come soon enough!

Whilst island hopping I spend plenty of time on CalMac ferries - what is the situation, are the bikes strapped down during the crossings etc? Are they responsible for strapping them down etc.

First major bike trip for me, so any advice gratefully received.

Cheers Mark

AFAIK, you need to book for almost every ferry these days? Put the Calmac call centre number on your phone. If you need to re-arrange your ferry booking, they can do it for you over the phone. That's if you can get a signal! :D

AFAIK, you need to book for almost every ferry these days? Put the Calmac call centre number on your phone. If you need to re-arrange your ferry booking, they can do it for you over the phone. That's if you can get a signal! :D
There is also a phone app called CalMac Status which gives you real-time updates on all routes

Back
Top Bottom