She's here....

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Well, she's arrived at Bilko towers.

After 18 years of my main bike being a GS, I got a great deal on this 1500 mile 6 month old ZE which is nigh on immaculate.

It's had it's 1st service, has the wiz ECU upgrade and an uprated rear spring for when I'm loaded. Came with some extra's like big belly pan and crash bars which I'll collect from the previous owner in the next week or so.

I picked her up yesterday from Dorset and she'll be doing the heavy lifting on my tours so will see some great places whilst racking up the miles. It feels utterly bomb proof, looks very well screwed together and is very much like a modern day 1100 which is no bad thing.

First impressions are very positive, she pulls like a train and as one or two people have said, it's very different from a GS. The riding position is a bit different for sure but I'll sort that with some risers and being able to get both feet on the deck is very novel indeed. Got bits and pieces to get for it so if anyone has any bits they don't need let me know.

I had a look around at other bikes including the 1250 and they were either too techy or overpriced in my opinion. The 1250 especially has moved so far away from the GS mould that it isn't recognisable to me anyway. Don't get me wrong, it's a good bike but this S10 will still be going long after most 1250's have eaten themselves in an electronic frenzy. The only real option would have been a very late twin cam GSA but they are fetching very strong money.

I just think they offer brilliant value for money and for what I want it's a perfect fit.

Oh, I still have my 2006 R1200GSA and she'll be used for sunny days as at 155,000 miles she's earned her retirement.

Let the farkling begin.......

Attachments

• Super Ten.jpg
    Super Ten.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 498
Nice one

Does it need bar risers they look very high as is but it could be the angle

Look forwa seeing it do some epic trips and Im glad you are keeping the old girl that has served you so well

Welcome to the Super10 Club.

Yamaha really missed a trick with these - the Gen1 marketing programme was crazy.

Nice one

Does it need bar risers they look very high as is but it could be the angle

Look forwa seeing it do some epic trips and Im glad you are keeping the old girl that has served you so well

It's the angle Rick.

The bars feel very swept back at the minute which feels odd.

S10

Great bike
Keep an eye on rear spokes For the first few 1000 miles.
5Nm/6Nm if memory serves me correct?

Mare sure you change the spark plugs every 2 yrs ,they can get seized in.

Bombproof heavyweight.:thumb2

A modern day 1100... Well put and exactly what I want from the older but mint S10 that I am meeting in Aberdeen in a couple of weeks for a run around the UK...:) I totally agree with the LC on BM's in general in that they are fine bikes but now have so much that you don't want after starting on pre E&C BM's than stuff that you expect... It seems that the modern BM owner is as worried about electronics, LCD, wonder wheels and Bluetooth connectivity than how the bike rides over days, weeks and months... Also the need for the dealer is now an expectation rather than a choice...

Congrats Chris, certainly different. I don't think you will ever sell that 2006. A bit close to the heart.

Nice one Chris, I do like a Yamaha as does A who had one for 10 years.

They seem to be totally underrated by the media, which I find a little suspicious - check out ‘Fort Nine’s’ video on YouTube, Very interesting.
Health to enjoy

Lovely bike Chris enjoy it.

I may even see you in Fairbanks again with it - last time was 2012. :thumb2

Funny how the S10 has suddenly become popular. I always wanted one ever since I saw the first model in 2010, but somehow, I never got around to buying one until I got my 2017 model 3 years ago. It really does remind me of my old R1150GS but with a bit more get up and go and much better build quality. I could never understand why the motorcycle media never took to it, probably because it doesn’t have an obscene amount of power and can wheelie and perform stoppies day in and day out and also lap Brands Hatch witching 0.005 seconds of the pole time in BSB! A few years ago Simon Weir took one down the Route Napoleon in France and called it “the most exclusive adventure bike that you can buy”. I always wondered what took home so long to realise that. It performs perfectly adequately, returns good fuel consumption, handles very well indeed and is comfortable to boot. I have taken mine on the 4 Compass Points of mainland U.K. and done a couple of European tours and I have often thought of changing it, but then I ride it and come to my senses and wonder what the hell would I replace it with that does everything that I want? I notice that a previous poster had suggested watching Ryan Fortnines YouTube video of 24 hours on an S10, maybe more people should watch it too.
By the way Chris, enjoy your new bike, you won’t be disappointed!

Welcome to the Super10 Club.

Yamaha really missed a trick with these - the Gen1 marketing programme was crazy.

it's new price was too high back in 2010 - I had to wait a year and buy a used bike that had fallen to a reasonable price. They are a great used buy.

Very nice and a very underrated bike as mentioned. Seen quite a few well farkled up one on my travels.

Correct me if I’m wrong Sarge but I reckon that’s a BP 97 model . Little sticker under the front seat would confirm it. Last ever to come into the country. It will be interesting to See how this pans out over 150,000 miles for you against the GS ‘s you’ve had . ��

Correct me if I’m wrong Sarge but I reckon that’s a BP 97 model . Little sticker under the front seat would confirm it. Last ever to come into the country. It will be interesting to See how this pans out over 150,000 miles for you against the GS ‘s you’ve had . ��

It feels completely different from a GS but feels much stronger than the latest incarnations of the GS.

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't go to a huge mileage and there are plenty out there well into 6 figures.

Back
Top Bottom