Fuel support ring leak

NeilH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I noticed after filling up then I have a fuel leak that seems to be around the support ring (4) rather from the gasket (5). (It doesn't leak from the connectors) I did check the torque setting on the screw cap (6) and it has the correct torque so it is tight enough.

I seem to recal reading somewhere the use of tyre fitting paste but I don't know where this should be applied.

How does the support ring come out (I've not looked yet)
Should the tyre fitting paste be applied in some way to the support ring?

Just my luck no stock of the gasket and is only available on back order.

Haynes manual is not clear enough.

Attachments

• R1200RT-support-ring.jpg
    R1200RT-support-ring.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 109
I noticed after filling up then I have a fuel leak that seems to be around the support ring (4) rather from the gasket (5). (It doesn't leak from the connectors) I did check the torque setting on the screw cap (6) and it has the correct torque so it is tight enough.

I seem to recal reading somewhere the use of tyre fitting paste but I don't know where this should be applied.

How does the support ring come out (I've not looked yet)
Should the tyre fitting paste be applied in some way to the support ring?

Just my luck no stock of the gasket and is only available on back order.

Haynes manual is not clear enough.

Year and model gives more of a chance of working out what is what

Based on the scant info given, there are 300 different manufacturing months to look at, and thats just the hexhead variants - if its a LC model the number rises again

A model year will get that down to 12 months to look at, if you can provide the month of manufacture than narrows it down to 1 out of 1.

Were always happy to help, but its a big ask based on so little info

Eventually I get round to fixing my fuel leak. If I filled up with fuel it just leaked even after replacing the seal and in the end I put it down the the broken support ring. I ordered one from BMW but its a pain to fit.

I already had the screw cap tool and you can use the same tool to fit the support ring. I wish I'd taked pictures at the time, but probably just as well and this tried my patience. The this has to be done very slowly as applying to much pressure will probably crack the new support ring.

You have to find the right starting point on the thread and slowly thread it on.

Anyway, job done, leak fixed

Attachments

• 20220728_155827 (Medium).jpg
    20220728_155827 (Medium).jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 2023-05-09 07_24_42-Fuel pump lock ring removal tool.jpg
    2023-05-09 07_24_42-Fuel pump lock ring removal tool.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 55

Back
Top Bottom