Himalayan - TEC performance camshaft and front sproket change

I’ve done 600 miles on my Himmy without modification and quite happy with what it’s got in terms of performance. If something like this was on my agenda I’d want to know there were a number of happy clientele who had a significant mileage under their belts after fitting the new camshaft.

Yeah, hence the reason for the post as I am cynical unless such a mod is well proven, in which case I would consider it. Having said that, done 2000 miles on mine and happy most of the time so no great desire to change things.

Can also anticipate responses saying that I should have a different bike if performance is an issue, LOL.

There are mixed reports on the FB Himalayan owners groups.
After limited research I decided not to do either mods (faff vs benefits).
I modified my mind instead to enjoy the 24 HP as is. Joking aside, with some filtering I find the FB groups have some useful info.
Enjoy the bike

I have been following the camshaft story and i'm not convinced it's worth the effort and the cost tbh.
There's a guy on the Himmy FB page who's fitted the cam and is going to report back in due course.

I have something like 6500 miles up and yes there have been times more power would have been useful but, i got through those brief times and then the power was again, ample.

The other weekend i met up with a bunch of Himmy riders one of whom is of this parish at CoCo's wild camping mid wales.
I was loaded up with all the kit and the bike was all i needed. We did a ride out on the Sunday which involved some road and, in total
16 miles of off road all of which the Himmies dealt with admirably. Monday involved a lovely run through the Elan Valley taking in the Devil's Staircase and again the Himmies were more than adequate for the job.
Apart from sat nav mount, quad lock, usb charger, heated jacket controller, top box (Vern's World Beater mini :) ) my bike is standard and, that's how it's staying. I have modified my needs wants and expectations to suit the bike and it all works wonderfully rewarding me with a fun and involving ride in all conditions on all roads and tracks.

Edit;
Just remembered you mentioned swapping the front sprocket for a 16T well, do that, and i'll guarantee you'll spend more time in 4th. gear. One of the guys i was with the other weekend bought his bike with that already done and was puzzled as he couldn't hold top gear a lot of the time, he was err. cough, big boned :rolleyes: to be fair so i advised him to go back to a 15T front sprocket.

Thanks UturnTony, it does seem like the jury is out on the camshaft mod.
Someone has offered to "loan" me a new 16 tooth sproket, so may well try it as a bit of time is the only cost, but I suspect you are right about holding 4th gear more of the time.

It might be worth a chat to Hitchcocks. They may well have anecdotal views from some of their many customers.

Yes, seen that video and it does seem to be a worthwhile mod, but the longevity and reliability is unproven, but we will see how it fares in the real world.

Thanks UturnTony, it does seem like the jury is out on the camshaft mod.
Someone has offered to "loan" me a new 16 tooth sproket, so may well try it as a bit of time is the only cost, but I suspect you are right about holding 4th gear more of the time.

In that case, give it a go, i'd be interested in your findings :thumb2

As regards the camshaft. The guy has reported back and it seems to be somewhat positive. No big jump in power but, he says that the engine feels more "connected" to the throttle which i get tbh. It's likely that when the throttle is tweaked the engine feels a bit more willing to go. He did go on to say that he was having difficulty quantifying any improvement.
For me, i have an engine that does what i expect from it and is fine and runs very sweetly, doesn't stall (as a lot seem to do) doesn't pop back in the silencer (seems that's another problem for some) and ticks over like a clock so, i am reluctant to mess with it or, spend the money on a cam when the gains are not particularly high. That's me though, others may want the gain the cam seems to offer.

Agree, will keep an eye on the situation and make a more informed decision at a later time.
As it is free, may as well fit the 16 tooth front sproket and see, if I do will feed back on here.

Apart from the new Tripper sat-nav thingy, changes to the front and rear racks are there any other significant differences between the 2021 bikes and previous which makes them an improvement?

I'm hoping to sort out a test ride this week, which would be on the new version, but no previous experience of the bike.

Orinoco, if you do end up with a Pre-Euro 5 model, then Givi make a rear rack support which I think is more substantail than the newer bikes factory modification. On the latest model there is also some improvement to low end pick up and the deletion of the cold start lever on the left handlebar plus as you say the Sat nav link to your smart phone app to give turn by turn directions rather than actual mapping display.

Orinoco, if you do end up with a Pre-Euro 5 model, then Givi make a rear rack support which I think is more substantail than the newer bikes factory modification. On the latest model there is also some improvement to low end pick up and the deletion of the cold start lever on the left handlebar plus as you say the Sat nav link to your smart phone app to give turn by turn directions rather than actual mapping display.

Thanks, ordered a pre-Euro 5 yesterday, hopefully collect next week :)

Back
Top Bottom