Map and compass

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, but its outdoors so here seems best.

when i was a kid i was in the cubs then scouts, we used to regularly do these games called "Parachute drops" although it didn't involve jumping out of planes.

This is how it went.

Kids would pile into the back of several vans with no windows and driven to a start point (each start point was different for each team (2 kids) )
sometimes an hour away, sometimes in wales in the middle of nowhere... usually on the moors.
then by using map and compass would have to reach a destination handed to us on a piece of paper.
sometimes you would have to pass through checkpoints and "check in"
first to arrive was the winner... usually one scout group against another.
some of these trips took a weekend and we had to camp out and carry on the day after.

probably doesn't appeal to this generation who prefer games consoles, but as a kid in the late 70s into the early 80s it was exciting stuff

I just wondered if there anything like this for adults?
i suppose its a form of orienteering, is anyone on here a member of a club or do anything like this?

I can bundle you into a transit van with no windows and drive you to a remote location ... :D

To make it interesting, i'll send a ransom note to your nearest and dearest ;)

if they pay up you get let out with a map & compass.

if they dont, your out on your own ...

Adds a certain element of chance wouldn't you say ;)

I can bundle you into a transit van with no windows and drive you to a remote location ... :D

Every bugger would cheat with using Google maps now days!

I do deliberately on my solo (or with my wife) do try to “get lost”, it is a way of challenging ones grey cells and fulfilling one’s curiosity to boot. Sometimes you come out the other side and get genuinely surprised that you arrived at you local high street, (as an example), meanwhile for one has been driving/walking past that turning fir over 20 years.

So when SWMBO tells me to get lost, I dully do so and end up having a great day as a result.

Sounds fun!

How do I join this group of nutters?

I should have known some would want to bundle me in a van for fun
Only substitute the map and compass for zip ties and duct tape lol

I have done geocaching with my kids.... well I say kids lol They are their 20s now
It was fun for a while,

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I was in the Boy's Brigade and we did something similar, dump lads in the middle of nowhere with a feature to find on a map then work their way back, usually a days walking back to the main camp. Only lost a few lads over the years.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve put Red Fred in his shed :D

Ah but how many times have you looked down and gone "Uh!! fred NOT in his shed!!" then panic sets in and wonder how far of course you are lol

so easily done when walking on the moors when everything looks the same.
Ive done the "Pennine Way" twice which is like that in sections, although its a lot easier these days as its better signposted.

Good grief, I have never heard that before. A bit dumbed down I suppose. My main compass is in Mils, but I do have degree marked ones. I could never understand why OS maps didn't have a compass rose printed on them like charts do. There is no need to orientate the map then, just use a straight edge to read the bearing using a parallel rule on the chart, or rolling ruler - or use a Breton plotter which has the compass rose built in. A boot lace works. Then just transfer the bearing to the compass bezel. I don't understand why people find it so difficult.

Being bundled into a van dressed in 1940s clothing with nothing other than a map and a compass, driven out int the wilds of wales and kicked out having been told a grid reference and a time to get there was,Whilst sounding exciting, a total embuggerance ! Enemy who would give you a damn good kicking if they caught you etc

Intersections and re sections to find ones location then marching on a bearing ( remembering to aim off ) and not forgetting Magnetic variation, cross graining instead of contouring

Fuck that

and besides i probably couldnt remember how to do it

Good grief, I have never heard that before. A bit dumbed down I suppose. My main compass is in Mils, but I do have degree marked ones. I could never understand why OS maps didn't have a compass rose printed on them like charts do. There is no need to orientate the map then, just use a straight edge to read the bearing using a parallel rule on the chart, or rolling ruler - or use a Breton plotter which has the compass rose built in. A boot lace works. Then just transfer the bearing to the compass bezel. I don't understand why people find it so difficult.

Because when using a Silva compass it's simple enough to align parallel with the grid lines then add magnetic variation :nenau

Because when using a Silva compass it's simple enough to align parallel with the grid lines then add magnetic variation :nenau

grid to mag add, mag to grid get rid

Quite often it was hard to work out the mag variation depending how old the map was but depending on the length of the leg to march on a bearing and by aiming off a bit it often made no difference

You’ll like this then. My cheat sheet pace card for my stride length. Incline in metres on the left and distance across the top. So, if I were to walk across a field with a gentle incline of 10m for 100m that would be 70 paces. What the hell you say! Don’t ask. :D

Attachments

• 41514E60-55B3-49DF-A9E4-4F8B6EFA0BE5.jpg
    41514E60-55B3-49DF-A9E4-4F8B6EFA0BE5.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 119
Being bundled into a van dressed in 1940s clothing with nothing other than a map and a compass, driven out int the wilds of wales and kicked out having been told a grid reference and a time to get there was,Whilst sounding exciting, a total embuggerance ! Enemy who would give you a damn good kicking if they caught you etc

Intersections and re sections to find ones location then marching on a bearing ( remembering to aim off ) and not forgetting Magnetic variation, cross graining instead of contouring

Fuck that

and besides i probably couldnt remember how to do it

RAF Version.

Check into hotel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ll like this then. My cheat sheet pace card for my stride length. Incline in metres on the left and distance across the top. So, if I were to walk across a field with a gentle incline of 10m for 100m that would be 70 paces. What the hell you say! Don’t ask. :D

that would be 70 lefts i assume

Back
Top Bottom