Converting a bike to an ebike

I couldn't get my Cube e-MTB insured for theft unless it was maxed at 15.5mph

I converted a Specialized Crossroads hybrid bike into an ebike with a Bafang mid drive 250W kit. The battery is 36V 17.4Ah giving a good range. The motor kit and battery were bought from AliExpress. Other than legal reasons i deliberately went for 250W motor as I do want to do some of the work! It’s great, I go miles further than I ever did on a normal bike but still get a good amount of exercise without turning into a sweaty mess.

I met this guy the other day, Stan. He came up my drive as he was interested in my airhead PD. Stan is 84, has still got a couple of motorbikes including an airhead but still a big cyclist. He was nearing completing a 50 mile trip including some trails on this bike which he built himself. I mean built. Frame as well! He designed it, hired the jigs and brazed up himself. Beautifully done.

More recently he bought bits from Woosh bikes, Sandwich and made it an E-bike. £350 for the battery and £300 for the motor. Really neat job and he reckons it's a really good set up. Said the bearings in the Chinese motor were crap though so changed them before fitting. Nice guy. I'm going to visit him and see what the old BMW is that he's got tucked away in the back of his garage. Hope I'm still doing that stuff at 84!

Attachments

• IMG_6794.jpg
    IMG_6794.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6792.jpg
    IMG_6792.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 88

Back
Top Bottom