Bye bye NFU

stolzy

Reaction score
Rather a pity, I've had my cars and house insured with NFÙ for a donkey's age, but now have to leave. They don't offer reasonable bike insurance (their quote was nearly 3 times that of Footman James and Hiscox) and I'd like to get all my stuff on a single policy with a single renewal date.

I've only had a couple of claims with them over the years (including part-demolition of a cottage by a falling tree), but they were extremely efficient at dealing with the claim and the difference between dealing with their local staff and the chimps in call centres is like night and day.

I too have cars, motorhome and house insured through NFU. The convenience of speaking to real folk, no administration charges for any policy or vehicle changes, their brilliant response and support when making a claim (on the house and one car) as well as their competitive prices for all the above (with no unusual annual hikes just because you're a customer)....... in my view this far outweighs the relatively minor inconvenience of having a different provider for the motorbike (Bennetts).

Would it not make sense to remain with them for car and house and just move the bike aspect of it? You've experienced how good they are at claims, seems a little extra hassle in getting 2 sets of quotes may well outweigh poor service at a later date.

Would it not make sense to remain with them for car and house and just move the bike aspect of it? You've experienced how good they are at claims, seems a little extra hassle in getting 2 sets of quotes may well outweigh poor service at a later date.
Fair point, but the competing quotes are with Hiscox and Footman James Private Client arrangements. I suspect their service is somewhat better than the normal chimps and they don't seem to be too interested in inuring just motorcycles. I'd still rather have a single date for cars, bikes and house insurance.

Just swapped my Van with them,last week......... painless and efficient
Needed a Green Card to for travel tomorrow, emailed over this morning in 10 minutes
NFU Mutual, the most customer focused insurance company - not cheap, but you get what you pay for:thumby:

House/Buildings and cars/commercials with NFU

Bikes with another most excellent Insurer - RH Insurance Services

I've had the same dilemma but I've stuck with NFU. Completely useless for bikes (in terms of price) but building/contents and three vehicles all with them. In the past 20 years,they've paid out handsomely for a stolen Land Rover Defender and a written off VW Passat. Fantastic service. AND, my policies are all dealt with at the local NFU office in town! I know them in there and if I want to, I can call in and do any negotiating, obtain a Green Card etc over the counter. Really friendly. Yes I know I'll be paying a bit more but I reckon I've had my money's worth. But having just one anniversary would be good.

I've had the same dilemma but I've stuck with NFU.

But having just one anniversary would be good.

I don't see a big issue, having 2 insurers for 4 wheelers and house, another for bikes
Hell, I have 4 different banks, to deal with for private and business purposes - it's hardly taxing
They issue a renewal invite, as a reminder and you can set one up on your phone too

I don't see a big issue, having 2 insurers for 4 wheelers and house, another for bikes
Hell, I have 4 different banks, to deal with for private and business purposes - it's hardly taxing
They issue a renewal invite, as a reminder and you can set one up on your phone too
Just a PITA I could do without.

The trouble is, whoever you use, these multi purpose policies are devilishly difficult to compare/evaluate when the renewal arrives. When I stripped back an Admiral deal for a friend a few years back, he had been overpaying for several years, around 30 % more than taking individual policies. Time saving - yes. Fair value - maybe, but bringing the renewal dates together in year one tends to distort the actuality, so probably not in year 2.

I too have cars, motorhome and house insured through NFU. The convenience of speaking to real folk, no administration charges for any policy or vehicle changes, their brilliant response and support when making a claim (on the house and one car) as well as their competitive prices for all the above (with no unusual annual hikes just because you're a customer)....... in my view this far outweighs the relatively minor inconvenience of having a different provider for the motorbike (Bennetts).

Ditto.....bar the motorhome.

Seems a bit short sighted ref the OP??:nenau

I wouldn't insure home, buildings , vehicles (except the bikes) with anyone else. They were actually quite a bit cheaper on our cars etc than the next best quote.

We’ve just stayed with NFU at renewal but had a loyalty discount discussion - fact is we can talk to them on the phone almost immediately, claim wasn’t an issue.
Cover for property, holiday let, vehicles and tractor.
Bikes on multibike policy with IAM who were better than Carole Nash.

Fingers crossed !

Tried NFU a couple of years ago based largely on recommendations/ good reviews on here-- they wouldn't give me a price unless I told them my renewal price with my existing provider. I hate it when they do that so one strike and they're out... Stayed with Halifax.

Have you found a suitable alternative yet? What about getting a bike policy with another insurer, but with a co-terminus date?

Have you found a suitable alternative yet? What about getting a bike policy with another insurer, but with a co-terminus date?

I've got a sensible quote from Footman James for cars, bikes and house and am (still) waiting for Hiscox for the same.

I'm exploring the possibility of keeping cars and house with NFU, but am having difficulty finding a multibike policy.

I have never bothered with a multibike policy.
Never has one come close to beating what I pay as a total across individual policies.
Also allows me to have lots of no claims should I swap out a vehicle - not tied under the illegal no claims "rules" UK insurers like to fuck you over with.

Getting the cheapest quote is not the object of the exercise. Service and convenience are more important to me.

I've got a sensible quote from Footman James for cars, bikes and house and am (still) waiting for Hiscox for the same.

I'm exploring the possibility of keeping cars and house with NFU, but am having difficulty finding a multibike policy.

If you have at least one classic aged bike (>15 years or more)
Try RH insurance
If no classic bike,
Try Lynbrook insurance

Both staffed by experts in insurance, not chimps

Despite their initial reticence, in the end, Footman James provided a very competitive quote for the bikes (near enough half what I was paying with individual policies) allowing me to keep the cars and house with NFU.

Hiscox were utterly hopeless taking a week longer than promised to provide a quote and then guesstimated more than twice what I was paying with the NFU/FJ combo.

Result.

Back
Top Bottom