F800GS swinging arm bearings

Carts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

After some advice. When removing rear wheel to get a new tyre I noticed a little play in swinging arm. Approx 1mm at spindle end. Is this within tolerance or dose it mean rear swinging arm bearing need replacement. I did have the swinging arm out last year as had to get the shock absorber bolt helicoiled. And roller bearings looked ok. Regreased before reassembly

Don’t know if I’m being paranoid, bike is 2010 model with approx 75k on clock.

Cheers for your thoughts, carts

If you are in doubt about the play maybe a trip to your local bike mot place could or should be able to tell you if it needs doing. Not much help but that's what I would do if you get no advice on here.

Thanks een705.

I’ve had a few chats with my local mechanic, he said it not uncommon for bikes to have a little play. My thoughts are the tolerance set by each manufacturer are usually generous, but this can change from bike manufacturing to manufacturing. I will have a chat with local BMW dealer to see BMW. Advice, I am swaying in-line with changing them out. Can’t be much harm doing that.??

143,000 miles and no play in mine when I sold it. Hope you used waterproof grease and not just normal grease ;)

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom