Is this standard?

Malcvtr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about another Harley and came across the FXSTI seen in the pic. I’ve checked with the guy and the tyres are tubeless. I asked if the spoked wheels had been specially sealed, but he knew nothing about them, except they didn’t seem to leak…

Anyone know what might be going on here? The front wheel looks smaller than standard. The bike is a 2006 model.

Cheers for any ideas.
0b7a950fb7de61ea9f4f698605b69ea4.jpg

I’ve been thinking about another Harley and cane across the FXSTI seen in the pic. I’ve checked with the guy and the tyres are tubeless. I asked if the spoked wheels had been specially sealed, but he knew nothing about them, except they didn’t seem to leak…

Anyone know what might be going on here? The front wheel looks smaller than standard.

Cheers for any ideas.
0b7a950fb7de61ea9f4f698605b69ea4.jpg

To my knowledge, after I looked into it and changed the spoked wheels for cast on my Heritage, Harley don't make a spoked (laced) wheel that can be used without a tube. I would suggest that those are aftermarket. (obvs). Is there no manufacturers stamp on them?
Those look good though, you have the best of both worlds there. :thumb

Nice looking bike.

Thanks Si. Yeah, I thought they looked good. Sadly, the current owner didn't even know the tyres were tubeless until I asked him to check...

I found this on a Harley forum:

"So, I have a question for all you smart guys. I know that the newer touring bikes have available laced wheels that run tubeless tires. Does anyone know whether those wheels will fit my 2005 RK without a huge fuss? I'd really like to get tubeless so out here in the booneys I might be able to plug and fixaflat a tire if I needed to. I just love the looks of a spoked wheel or I'd go for the mag types."

And this worrying reply...

The issue is the bearings. 25mm ID bearings (2008-up) are a tad narrower than the 1" ID bearings you need. So they won't seat deep enough in the hub.

So.....that means the wheel isn't machined as deep to accept them.

As well, the bearing ID is different. I've heard guys say that the difference is so small (1" vs 25mm) and they've bolted the wheels on regardless. Not so sure that's a good idea, and hoping the bearing doesn't move on the axle.

I've been talking with a friend who's a machinist about how to make a kit to make newer wheels interchangeable with older bikes.

The measurements are:

(3/4" or 1" ID) X 52mm OD X 21mm wide.

The 25mm bearing is 6mm narrower, (15mm) for installing the ABS sensor in all 2000-up FL model front wheels.

The 2000-2007 21mm me a rings are also double row ball bearings where the 2008-up 15mm wide bearings are single row, possibly explaining some of the premature failures."

He may just have tubeless tyres but have tubes fitted in them?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

He may just have tubeless tyres but have tubes fitted in them?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Ah, right. Possible I guess. He lives too far away for me to easily check it out and he literally knows nothing about the tyres/wheels. He only wants £7,000 for it, so that's tempting me to risk it! I'm going backwards and forwards...

I found this on a Harley forum:

"So, I have a question for all you smart guys. I know that the newer touring bikes have available laced wheels that run tubeless tires. Does anyone know whether those wheels will fit my 2005 RK without a huge fuss? I'd really like to get tubeless so out here in the booneys I might be able to plug and fixaflat a tire if I needed to. I just love the looks of a spoked wheel or I'd go for the mag types."

And this worrying reply...

The issue is the bearings. 25mm ID bearings (2008-up) are a tad narrower than the 1" ID bearings you need. So they won't seat deep enough in the hub.

So.....that means the wheel isn't machined as deep to accept them.

As well, the bearing ID is different. I've heard guys say that the difference is so small (1" vs 25mm) and they've bolted the wheels on regardless. Not so sure that's a good idea, and hoping the bearing doesn't move on the axle.

I've been talking with a friend who's a machinist about how to make a kit to make newer wheels interchangeable with older bikes.

The measurements are:

(3/4" or 1" ID) X 52mm OD X 21mm wide.

The 25mm bearing is 6mm narrower, (15mm) for installing the ABS sensor in all 2000-up FL model front wheels.

The 2000-2007 21mm me a rings are also double row ball bearings where the 2008-up 15mm wide bearings are single row, possibly explaining some of the premature failures."

What year is the bike?

It’s had a 1550 big bore conversion, SE204 cams and a 50mm throttle body. Plus valve springs.

Attachments

• C6B87FF9-63FC-4EED-94D6-B2C46F9EEDB5.jpg
    C6B87FF9-63FC-4EED-94D6-B2C46F9EEDB5.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 290
I don’t know. It’s described as an FXSTI. The ones I’ve seen on the net have a 21” laced front wheel, but look very similar otherwise.

Attachments

• E75B6777-A935-4B57-9301-9749ACDCCD84.jpg
    E75B6777-A935-4B57-9301-9749ACDCCD84.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 253
Very similar to a Deuce then.

They were discontinued in 2006 I think.

Attachments

• EAA57617-FBB0-4AC9-BE24-304F7B661BCA.jpeg
    EAA57617-FBB0-4AC9-BE24-304F7B661BCA.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 238
Ah, right. Possible I guess. He lives too far away for me to easily check it out and he literally knows nothing about the tyres/wheels. He only wants £7,000 for it, so that's tempting me to risk it! I'm going backwards and forwards...

Where does he live?

Perhaps a forum member could give it the 'once over' for you? ;)

We need someone who actually knows about Harley Davidson Motorcycles to help here rather than enthusiastic internet experts.

Anyone know someone like that? :nenau

No… me neither. :D

Back
Top Bottom