Ride outs.

Posh Pete

Still got a pulse.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For folk who are up for a ride out on the Saturday (or after for that matter) , I'm posting a few routes around the area for "self ride". In addition, I'm happy to lead a ride out to a particular destination but more of that later.

Self ride Route 1 "Whisky Galore".

This route will take you to the Macallan Whisky Experience near Craigellachie and to the Speyside Cooperage nearby. If you want to stop off at these places and do a proper visit, I suggest you get in touch to book - they're likely to be busy!

Incidentally, Craigellachie itself has the bridge over the Spey built by Thomas Telford. It's no longer part of the road system but it's a popular spot for pics of your bike if you're so minded.

The route includes a ride into the fringes of the Cairngorm national park to the Glenlivet (the first legal dstillery in Scotland) and Tomnavoulin distilleries if you'd prefer a straight forward distillery visit. Alternatively, head for Rothes and the Glen Grant distillery.

Total miles around 100 including the jaunt up Glenrinnes to Glenlivet and Tomnavoulin.

Attachments

• Whisky galore.gpx
    143.7 KB · Views: 52
Just a quick note - the Speyside cooperage isn't open on weekends.

SteveT

:dragon:

Self Ride Route 2 "A Buchan Bimble"

If you draw a line on the map between - roughly - Portsoy and Aberdeen, Buchan is the part of Scotland to the north east of that line. You could regard it as Scotland's Yorkshire in that ...

• The folk there are even cannier than other Scots. (Hard to credit, I know! :D)
  • Some of the villages used to be textile centres although farming is the dominant industry now.
  • Due to its remoteness, there's a unique culture and a unique dialect - the Doric. If you stop off for a coffee on this route, if the caff is owned by a native, there's a fair chance you'll need Google translate!

Buchan has loads of little used roads in fantastic condition and lots of interesting wee villages such as Rosehearty and (start spreading the news) New Deer. Some are bizarrely named, such as "The Pole of Itlaw".

I've also included a couple of stops of interest: Pennan is where they filmed parts of one of my favourite films, "Local Hero". Peterhead also has the easternmost point in Scotland if you're into ticking off such things. Finally, there's Peterhead prison museum for a family fun day out! (Apparently it IS a very good visit!)

Attachments

• Buchan bimble.gpx
    164.9 KB · Views: 34
Self Ride Route 2 "A Buchan Bimble"

If you draw a line on the map between - roughly - Portsoy and Aberdeen, Buchan is the part of Scotland to the north east of that line. You could regard it as Scotland's Yorkshire in that ...

• The folk there are even cannier than other Scots. (Hard to credit, I know! :D)
  • Some of the villages used to be textile centres although farming is the dominant industry now.
  • Due to its remoteness, there's a unique culture and a unique dialect - the Doric. If you stop off for a coffee on this route, if the caff is owned by a native, there's a fair chance you'll need Google translate!

Buchan has loads of little used roads in fantastic condition and lots of interesting wee villages such as Rosehearty and (start spreading the news) New Deer. Some are bizarrely named, such as "The Pole of Itlaw".

I've also included a couple of stops of interest: Pennan is where they filmed parts of one of my favourite films, "Local Hero". Peterhead also has the easternmost point in Scotland if you're into ticking off such things. Finally, there's Peterhead prison museum for a family fun day out! (Apparently it IS a very good visit!)

Peterhead prison museum is definitely worth a visit, very sobering especially as it's not that long since it was in use. If you harbour any longings for a criminal record it will soon sort that out.

Peterhead prison museum is definitely worth a visit, very sobering especially as it's not that long since it was in use. If you harbour any longings for a criminal record it will soon sort that out.

I can second that. Pal Dave and I popped in en route home from Portsoy last week. A place to give anyone pause. One cell in particular had a definite atmosphere that had nowt to do with the temperature and everything to do with an event that took place there. Then there's the isolation cell ... Christ, what a place! :(

Back
Top Bottom