Nav 6 routes not loading

Wierpig

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im trying to import some routes from basecamp onto my nav 6.Converted TET tracks to routes and sent to device.
I assume they are on the nav because in the trip menu they are listed.But when I select import, nothing happens.The unit just turns off. Any help gratefully received.

Can you share the routes with us, please. That way we can have a go at loading them and / or see why they might not work.

Thanks.The units storage space has reduced so I assume they got that far.Ive tried loading en masse and individually, but it just says calculating then switches off

Attachments

• TET-FRANCE-Section23-20210720.gpx
    53.2 KB · Views: 28
Thank you.

The GPX file you attached opens OK on my iPad in Pocket Earth. That’s an encouraging start, as it appears that there is nothing too wrong with the file itself.

cf45d1da790274fcdefa675a8c448605.png

The battery on my Nav VI is flat at the moment. I’ll charge it up and give it a whirl ASAP, unless someone else can give it a go.

Great, thanks. Its the first time I've used basecamp so I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong.Its taken me 10 hrs so far.

On the map, the route changes according to the selected driving profile.If I use offroad or dirtbike the route looks impossible to follow, with lots of dead ends and u turns.Only the "direct" route looks usable but shows no route directions.

Depending on how it has been constructed, a route may well change if you change driving profile.

I think I have found the problem.

1. The file shared in post #3 is a track, presumably lifted from some TET forum or website.

2. It loads straight into BaseCamp, no problem.

0ed75732e5144cadc09d6fdf90b46481.jpg

and looks pretty much the same as the version issued up by Pocket Earth on my iPad

f45c46c19247e45cb28e939c3bf3418d.png

3. I then asked BaseCamp, on my pretty powerful Mac, to convert the track to a route. This it struggled with, taking maybe five minutes to render up a route that is only a touch over 19 miles long.

acb5df269ecb70dd4f91e9cfc17dcb3a.jpg

4. On the face of it, what it offered up looked pretty similar

552928139cf0b7b5a459bf2addd0e9e0.jpg

5. But on closer inspection, it was not smooth but rather composed of lots of jagged sections sort of cobbled together.

6. I realised that, as it’s a TET route it probably hacks off across fields on very small paths. These paths are not always shown on the Garmin detailed maps, so naturally the software has to do its best. The best it can do is straight lines, as there is no road or path for it to follow.

7. I then changed the BaseCamp map to Open Street Maps, which shows more little paths. I also changed the mode to ‘off road’ and forced a recalculation. This offered up a better version.

28de06894749fcdc71aef268c4912032.jpg

0d00afb4652ccdcb2c0c1ac061ad92f8.jpg

The conclusion I draw is that BaseCamp and its Garmin map is creating you a hybrid, somewhere between a conventional ‘on road’ (where the route follows known roads) and ‘off road’, where it marches off down unknown goat tracks.

Why did it crash your Nav VI?

I think the reason is that when a route is sent from BaseCamp into a Nav VI, it strips out some of the sub-detail. In other words it only sends just enough of the basics. This is not usually a problem, as the route usually follows known roads, shown on the device’s map.

When you summon up a route in the Nav VI, the device fills in the missing gaps as it were, matching the data to the roads it knows about. Big sections of the TET went along goat tracks, which the poor Nav VI had no idea were there. Its poor little brain fused with the effort and the device crashed. This is not surprising, as it took my powerful Mac about five minutes to do it.

There is a way around this, which would be to manually trace over the TET track and creat a fresh hybrid route, patching together smooth ‘on road’ with less smooth ‘off road’ (ie ‘direct’ routing) - I do this sometimes to force routes over a bridge, that BaseCamp does not think is passable - but that would be pretty dull task. You would probably also have to create it in Open Street Maps, routable and run the same maps on your Nav VI.

Me? I’d simply import the track into my Nav VI and use that, unconverted into a route. You’d not get turn instructions but so what?

Someone who does a lot of off-roading (Berin, maybe) may well have some better ideas.

Here’s a sample where the Garmin detailed map does not show the goat tracks that are detailed on the Open Street Map. Both maps are zoomed in an equal amount.

8f9220ca5c54d06d6fa11fd0d97d8051.jpg

254a14cdef15952c69df85247a2b5261.jpg

I also found a part of the original TET track (see post #3) where the Garmin version showed the track’s direction running both ways at once, whilst the same section displayed in Open Street Maps, showed the track proceeding correctly. No wonder the software struggled.

fbd71105ff167af33a2f9fb9a07157f9.jpg

a91d1a242d20b5c27ef22a009b1840f6.jpg

Great stuff.Thanks for your help.I think ill use an alternative device.Maybe even a paper map...

A reasonably detailed paper map is always a good idea :thumb2

Thinking about it some more, I guess there is a pretty good chance that most, if not all, of the goat tracks are shown on Open Street Maps. It might not be so hard a task to trace over the TET tracks in BaseCamp, using the Open Street Maps. Then install the same Open Street Maps onto an SD card in your Nav VI. This would skip the conversion between a track and route, which BaseCamp seems to be struggling with. If I am right, then you’d end up with the Nav VI running the route and have the benefit of turn instructions.

There again, the Nav VI should run perfectly, just using the track (maybe on Open Street Maps, installed into the device on an SD card) but you’d lose the turn instructions. In a way, this would be no different to using a paper map with the route highlighted onto it. Give it a go and see what you think.

Thank you. If only my old school reports were as kind.

It was really helpful that the OP provided the GPX file, as so many people - when looking for help - don’t. Without the file, you are often relying on bods’ descriptions of what they are experiencing, which sometimes adds to the confusion from all sides.

One piece of advice i can give is when you have downloaded a route to your nav , when you switch your nave on it will say new routes found ,do you want to import .SAYNO . Now go to tracks in the menu and import it as a track. When you have imported it as a track . There is a spanner sign on the top left of the screen touch the spanner to covert it to a route ,after severel minutes depending how big the file is you will find it in routes with no blue dots .no straight lines. And the full route as you made it .if you import when you switch your nav on you only have the start and the finish with blue dots for way points . I hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom