Sweden only

Wapping

Reaction score
Everyone goes to Norway, why not try Sweden?

This, lifted from Tourenfahrer magazine 9/2021, might give bods some ideas:

db53b32e30d5434809bb677bcce1a87f.png

https://www.tourenfahrer.de/tour-datenbank/tour/schotter-de-luxe-1089/detail/

A Norwegian once told me the most beautiful part of Sweden is the west coast :D

A Swede once told me that the SAS airline was a perfect combination. Swedes to conceive it, Norwegians to build it, Danes to sell it.

Heading there next month hopefully if restrictions still allow. Looks like we’ll be coming down some of that route on the coast.

Part of my future plans is to ride up through Sweden and then cut across to the Lofoten islands in Norway. :thumb2
Ta for that.

Being Norwegian, I may be slightly biased. However, here are my 2c worth:

I have been riding quite a few km in Sweden.
Compared to my own country, the roads are generally less curvy, and the wrapping (scenic views) is less spectacular.

The depicted route in post #1 offers a combination of different routes, The E4 northbound along the east coast is the definition of boaring. However, going northbound really offer only 2 options, and they have selected one of them for each direction. Fair enough.

The inland route as such offers roads with a bit of curves. Keeping a good pace, the roads may even be fun to ride. The lacking part is the scenery. There are an awful lot of trees.

When I ride in this area, I bring a water boiler. There are lots of small places to stop for a brakes, and some of them are rather scenic, perhaps being close to a lake or some other beautiful spot.

Also, Sweden is a well organized country to visit, and I like the people. Plenty of places to spend the night and getting a good meal for a fair price.

This region will never make it to the worlds top 10 list of spectacular rides. But if you ride with an open mind and take the time to look around, the depicted route may be well worth riding.

knut, I'd agree with you, Sweden is not Norway. That being said, rather like riding the flat northern coast of Germany or the flat lands of north eastern France, it's different from going to the Alps. You might indeed argue that, once you have seen one Norwegian fjord and waterfall, you have seen them all.

All countries have great bits, interesting bits and (to some people) dull bits. Few people on this site go into the middle of Spain or Italy but will head religiously to the Pyrennees and Alps, as that is where the 'twisty bits' are.

You make a good point about Sweden having lots of lakes and forests, very many of them very attractive and, of course, wild camping is allowed.... and the people are friendly. We live on a tiny, crowded island, many times smaller than Sweden. To some people the emptiness of Sweden might be an attraction. The purpose of this thread was to encourage visitors to UKGSer to maybe think about Sweden as an alternative to Norway or Denmark (does anyone ever go to Denmark) once they have seen their 20th fjord bridge and caught yet another small ferry.

:beerjug:

PS Many thanks for the help and advice you give to visitors to Norway and into the other Scandinavian countries. Appreciated.

knut, I'd agree with you, Sweden is not Norway. That being said, rather like riding the flat northern coast of Germany or the flat lands of north eastern France, it's different from going to the Alps. You might indeed argue that, once you have seen one Norwegian fjord and waterfall, you have seen them all.

All countries have great bits, interesting bits and (to some people) dull bits. Few people on this site go into the middle of Spain or Italy but will head religiously to the Pyrennees and Alps, as that is where the 'twisty bits' are.

You make a good point about Sweden having lots of lakes and forests, very many of them very attractive and, of course, wild camping is allowed.... and the people are friendly. We live on a tiny, crowded island, many times smaller than Sweden. To some people the emptiness of Sweden might be an attraction. The purpose of this thread was to encourage visitors to UKGSer to maybe think about Sweden as an alternative to Norway or Denmark (does anyone ever go to Denmark) once they have seen their 20th fjord bridge and caught yet another small ferry.

:beerjug:

PS Many thanks for the help and advice you give to visitors to Norway and into the other Scandinavian countries. Appreciated.

I agree with you Richard.

Arsey and I rode to Spain (last month) via the “boring” bit of Eastern France. But we made the most of it, and I actually enjoyed the landscape it had to offer. We took the ferry from Royan and over the estuary. This avoided the need for getting involved with Bordeaux and surrounding traffic. In places the region has reminded me of the Eastern Baltic countries, which soon reminded me of better times.

Hooning around the mountain passes and endless hairpins, whilst dodging wobbly boxes, MAMILs, and other less confident motorised two wheelers, is and certainly can be great fun, don’t get me wrong. But sometimes, it is just nice to engage cruise control at 80km p/h. and just enjoy the trundle whilst observing scenery and not having the endless queue of traffic ahead.
Moreoften then ever, upon return home, I feel like I have been on a holiday but seen nothing. Taking it steady and limiting riding to a 150-180 miles each day, will allow for more time to explore the area and feast ones eye on foot.

I have only ever been to Sweden once. It wasn’t on the bike or a car, I just flew in with cheapo Irish airline to Vasteras, and took a coach to Stockholm. Ventured out of the city into the countryside and I think (from my only experience) it is actually quite nice. Pine forests smell amazing once sap has been warmed up in the sun.

Just like in France, I actually enjoy having a picnic lunch at the shaded, tree covered public lay-by with proper benches and tables to sit at and enjoy the views. I wish Britain had offering like this. I appreciate that France, Sweden and in fact most of Europe has, allot more land on offer to be able and provide such places of rest. unlike a roadside or a town centre cafe, one can also catch a few winks of sleep, with out being bothered or ushered on. If (as being suggested) Sweden is organised in this way, I believe that with appropriate Mosquito repellent, Sweden can (possibly) offer some fantastic time to be had. It is entirely depends, on how much time is available and what agenda each individual has. And if one feeling really Adventurous, there are plenty of connecting gravel/fire tracks to explore.

One day I will make my way to Scandinavia on the bike. It will require a fair bit of time taking off work, but it will have to be done.

Thanks for the tour Suggestion in post #1

I like travelling through Sweden the scenery is not as spectacular as Norway but the roads are generally in good condition and empty particularly the further north you go.

You can stop and camp where you want (within reason) and you really feel you are in the last truly empty and unspoiled part of Western Europe.

It certainly has its own charm with adds to the journey and experience. :thumb2

There you have it Udders, it’s not necessarily ‘boring’ riding through Sweden…… and it certainly won’t be if you run into an elk as you hoon along.

I like travelling through Sweden the scenery is not as spectacular as Norway but the roads are generally in good condition and empty particularly the further north you go.

You can stop and camp where you want (within reason) and you really feel you are in the last truly empty and unspoiled part of Western Europe.

It certainly has its own charm with adds to the journey and experience. :thumb2

100%. It seems there is concensus that it's not as nice as Norway but it's a significant step up from Middlesex. I enjoyed the relaxed, empty roads through forests and past lakes. Chocolate box scenery and great little cabins for hire as an alternative to camping if it's wet. I only have good memories.

Part of my future plans is to ride up through Sweden and then cut across to the Lofoten islands in Norway. :thumb2
Ta for that.
Me too. I was only talking about this sort of trip today. I’ll keep an eye on this thread.

100%. It seems there is concensus that it's not as nice as Norway but it's a significant step up from Middlesex. I enjoyed the relaxed, empty roads through forests and past lakes. Chocolate box scenery and great little cabins for hire as an alternative to camping if it's wet. I only have good memories.

The sunset whilst wild camping by a northern Swedish lake is none too shabby either. :thumb2

Attachments

• 173E6406-4C41-44F1-8C1A-496CC122182B.jpg
    173E6406-4C41-44F1-8C1A-496CC122182B.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 107129C4-9F34-4EA0-9515-BB21A3A74E10.jpg
    107129C4-9F34-4EA0-9515-BB21A3A74E10.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 156
Or while camping at a southern Swedish lake:

Attachments

• Nordkapp Trip 2006 455.jpg
    Nordkapp Trip 2006 455.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 159
The trouble is, many riders turn a trip to Sweden into some sort of macho marathon affair, which can get tedious.

I prefer to keep south of the 60th parallel - bimble around the lakes, swim in a balmy Baltic Sea in summer, plenty of nice rides around Orebro Lan, Jonkopings Lan, Kronoberg Lan & Skane Lan (where they film Wallander). Absorb a bit of the Swedish way of life. It's a very different frame of mind in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom