Bosnia

Was there today, surprised that so many buildings are still peppered with shell/bullet holes or just completely wrecked, as if it all happened yesterday, not 20 years ago.

I used to use a dive lodge in Ponta D'Ora in Mozambique. One evening the waiter pointed out the many bullet holes in the flank walls. The old hotel, as it was, had been taken over as a local base by FRELIMO during their troubles and clearly saw a bit of action..!

To me it just makes these places all the more interesting.

I think its been left as a reminder , somewhere on the journey from Sarajevo to Mostar on 1 of the bridges that were blown is still a train hanging off the end :hippy
My youngest has a Bosnian wife and their stories from the war are quite staggering , they are there at the moment enjoying the sunshine.
As you said , lovely country and lovely people...

did somebody try and entice you to jump off the bridge ??? :hippy , crazy folk ..

Bloody hell is that train still there !!

Many happy days blasting through that area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think its been left as a reminder , somewhere on the journey from Sarajevo to Mostar on 1 of the bridges that were blown is still a train hanging off the end :hippy
My youngest has a Bosnian wife and their stories from the war are quite staggering , they are there at the moment enjoying the sunshine.
As you said , lovely country and lovely people...

did somebody try and entice you to jump off the bridge ??? :hippy , crazy folk ..

Not tempted to jump Bob, in fact I felt so uncomfortable amongst the packed tourists in the area of the bridge that I put my mask on and got out soonest!
back on the Croatia coast at the moment, just North of Dubrovnic and will travel back towards UK along the coast road, only because the Mrs hasn't experienced it (last time for me was on a bike)

Old thread I know but I am planning a trip in 2023 down to Bosnia (speciifcally a place called Maglaj and Jelah) as I served there as part of the British Calvary Battalion during 1995 when the war was in full swing before NATO took over.

So any tips about insurance etc then please let me know.

My route looks like it will be France/Italy/Croatia and into Bosnia

Regards Cat

My insurance covers Bosnia as standard now, that’s with McKenzie Hodgson as the broker.

The main border crossings will probably have insurance but not all do and also they may close early (damhik!) so best to arrange in advance if you can, plus it will be actual cover not a piece of paper.

My insurance covers Bosnia as standard now, that’s with McKenzie Hodgson as the broker.

The main border crossings will probably have insurance but not all do and also they may close early (damhik!) so best to arrange in advance if you can, plus it will be actual cover not a piece of paper.

Many Thanks I shall start the search!

Croatia joined the EU or euro or Schengen or summat today so I should imagine it’s covered under the extended EU country set now too.

Do check that the cover your company provides is the same as you would get at home (assuming fully comp) since some reduce it to TP/legal minimum only.

Yes I saw that about Croatia which in theory makes my life much easier. I am now going to look at catching the ferry from Ancona to Split so I can retrace the route we took when I first went to Croatia/Bosnia in 95.

I am happy to pay for insurance at the border as we had to do a similar thing when crossing from Southern Cyprus into the North so kind of expect it.

Yes I saw that about Croatia which in theory makes my life much easier. I am now going to look at catching the ferry from Ancona to Split so I can retrace the route we took when I first went to Croatia/Bosnia in 95.

I am happy to pay for insurance at the border as we had to do a similar thing when crossing from Southern Cyprus into the North so kind of expect it.

Nice trip. We did a trip a while back on the ferry Venice-Igoumenitus, leaving the van in Venice then riding trails and tracks back up to Venice. Been back a few times since on road bikes. I love the area.

UK Insurance covers Bosnia

Hi Bigcats,
Wife and I were in Bosnia last summer (2022) and there is no longer a need for a green card - they used to as you at the border crossings if you had a green card and if not you had to buy it - at the local bar/cafe etc.
I think it was altered when the EU changed their mind on green card requirements to try and get rid of post-Brexit problems around the Irish north-south border issues.
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/driving-abroad

We've been in Bosnia a few times before and always had to buy insurance at border - but not any more:thumb

Last summer we entered Bosnia in far north at Velika Kladusa (south of Karlovac in Croatia) and travelled the length of the country and exited in the mountains due east of Trebinje into Montenegro.
We stayed in Jajce for 3 nights then Trebinje for 3 nights - as somebody else said, Trebinje is a hidden gem and we hope to return. Our accomodation in both towns was booked on Booking.com and both were abolutely superb and very reasonable and with secure bike parking.

It's a great area and Bosnia Herzogovina deserves far more attention from tourers, enjoy your trip.

Cheers.........................Grizzly:beerjug:

It had nothing to do with a border in Northern Ireland. After Brexit UK and EU based insurers lost theirability (provided by the the very useful Freedom of Services Provision) to accept business ‘across borders’. As motor insurance is a basic legal requirement in Europe for ALL countries, insurers were obliged to revert to the archaic ‘Green cards’ to evidence that legal insurance was in place. This process is stupidly inefficient in the 21st century but those that voted in favour of Brexit did not and do not care.

It fell upon insurers (all working in harmony, across borders) to resolve the problem between them, petitioning the EU and the UK government to waive the ‘Green cards’ and to accept the evidence provided by the certificate of insurance. In other words, to wind the clock back to a simple pre-Brexit way of working. Had they failed, we wound all be stuck with bloody green cards still.

The Northern Ireland border issues remain unresolved. Another source of money and time wasted (let alone stirring up local tensions) just so some cnut can wave and boast about their blue blue passport. It made them feel special.

Hi Bigcats,
Wife and I were in Bosnia last summer (2022) and there is no longer a need for a green card - they used to as you at the border crossings if you had a green card and if not you had to buy it - at the local bar/cafe etc.
I think it was altered when the EU changed their mind on green card requirements to try and get rid of post-Brexit problems around the Irish north-south border issues.
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/driving-abroad

We've been in Bosnia a few times before and always had to buy insurance at border - but not any more:thumb

Last summer we entered Bosnia in far north at Velika Kladusa (south of Karlovac in Croatia) and travelled the length of the country and exited in the mountains due east of Trebinje into Montenegro.
We stayed in Jajce for 3 nights then Trebinje for 3 nights - as somebody else said, Trebinje is a hidden gem and we hope to return. Our accomodation in both towns was booked on Booking.com and both were abolutely superb and very reasonable and with secure bike parking.

It's a great area and Bosnia Herzogovina deserves far more attention from tourers, enjoy your trip.

Cheers.........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Excellent information and thank you for taking the time. Yes Bosnia is one of those places people look over and I remember when I was there mid 90's how beautiful it was (despite all that was happening) so I am eager to get back and take a look, especially at where I was based and obviously to see more of this long ignored country.

Back
Top Bottom