Bosnia

GADGET

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m in Bosnia at the moment in my MoHo, week 7 of a long trip, so far, just want to say, not been to Bosnia before, but what a great country for a bike trip, just wish I’d brought one with me, challenging mountain roads (very challenging in a 7.3m A class MoHo) good scenery, cheap fuel very reasonable food and drink prices, nice people, English widely spoken lots of German/Dutch around but not seen a GB plate for weeks, site owners say they never see Brits either, okay, I know it’s a long way , but I for one will be coming back, another bonus, it’s non Schengan!

Great to hear you are enjoying it. If you get stuck or have any questions lemme know, I may be able to help or find someone who can.
Where are you now? What was your favourite bit?

Thanks, am in Blagaj as of today, just outside Mostar, entered via Bihac from Plitvic, it’s all been good , apart from traffic in Sarajevo, the drivers are nuts tho, nothing to find one one approaching on your side of the road on a blind bend!

I am sure you have already been pointed to it but if not -don't miss the Blagaj Tekke at the source of river Buna. Not Quite Plitvice, but chill place for some rest. Hope your MoHo has good aircon as I am hearing it is 40C there these days. Mostar is quite nice too. Can get a bit busy tho'.

And yeah. Driving is mental, although traffic is not too bad out of towns, and If you see an Audi.. assume "cock, until proven innocent." :) Joking! but only just. :)

You just missed "OK Fest" at Tjentiste, some good "local" music festival. I was meant to be there, but CoVid stopped us. Tjentiste/Zelengora and the communist monument is a good sight too. But the road, especially the part towards Sarajevo is really quite challenging, particularly for a MoHo. Trebinje is not bad for a chill stop-over too, if you are going Dubrovnik way.

Enjoy. :)

Drove past the concert today, couldn’t work out why there was so much oncoming traffic! Yes your right Audi & BMW cars the worst, just like home! 38 deg today not likely to get much colder apart from night. Will check our source of Buna, our pitch is next to the Buna now and also Trebinje, any good MoHo stops there?

Hi John, yes and no, have got it working at times, changing the settings via my mobile, but it really needs a laptop/ wired connection and of course a bit, or a lot more technical knowledge, I’ll get there! But moral is, bring a windows lap top! John��

Having never owned a land-yacht, I am not best placed to give you advice on that part. However, quick google search comes up with a campsite at Lastva, just up the river from Trebinje. I have no experience of the campsite, but the area is pretty decent. River and a lake there and shade in the river canyon for a bit cooler sleep-stop. Campsites can really be hit and miss as I am sure you know. The locals are pretty lively and shout a lot, particularly when there's rakija involved. :) So it really can be great on one and a nightmare on another night. Don't expect very high standard facilities, but you probably sussed that out already. :)

As you probably also gathered so far, the place is mainly about nature, with exception of a couple of towns, it is all mountains and rivers. So, Trebinje is not exactly going to be breathtaking, but it is a chill, walled, old town with some cracking wineries about; if that is your thing. Upmarket - Vukoje winery and restaurant. My fave, though, is a fair bit down-market - Tvrdos monastery, couple of miles down river from Trebinje. You can buy a 5L canister of good wine for 25KM (about a tenner) directly from the monks. At least you could a couple of years ago. The language may be a bit of a barrier, but you are more than likely to encounter someone visiting the monastery who speaks English. Anyways :"vino u refuzi" is the keyword and you get it from the wine cellar directly.. It is also nice enough, 9th century Orthodox Christian monastery to visit. Drink the wine quick, though, it is "young wine" and will turn to vinegar pretty quickly at 38C. :) You can, of course buy bottled wine there too at much higher prices. Buying a plastic canister of wine from a monastery for peanuts is something to talk to your mates about when back home, tho' .. :)

Here's a random google-whack on the Blagaj Tekke with pictures. So that you know what I am on about...

14915223034_72595f5759_b.jpg

We got turned back from the border at Bosnia because we hadn't bought the insurance in Montenegro.

Stupid me for not realising the bar sold insurance.

Attachments

• IMG_0606.jpeg
    IMG_0606.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 402
Of course! Where else would you buy insurance?! :) Welcome to the Balkans.
Truth be told, those border-bar places would probably be able to sell you a clutch or injector kit for VW Golf mk2... and at least 7 of 10 people drinking in the bar would be able to fit it for you too :D .

PS Insurance business in the pub? Don't give Wapping ideas! :)

Having never owned a land-yacht, I am not best placed to give you advice on that part. However, quick google search comes up with a campsite at Lastva, just up the river from Trebinje. I have no experience of the campsite, but the area is pretty decent. River and a lake there and shade in the river canyon for a bit cooler sleep-stop. Campsites can really be hit and miss as I am sure you know. The locals are pretty lively and shout a lot, particularly when there's rakija involved. :) So it really can be great on one and a nightmare on another night. Don't expect very high standard facilities, but you probably sussed that out already. :)

As you probably also gathered so far, the place is mainly about nature, with exception of a couple of towns, it is all mountains and rivers. So, Trebinje is not exactly going to be breathtaking, but it is a chill, walled, old town with some cracking wineries about; if that is your thing. Upmarket - Vukoje winery and restaurant. My fave, though, is a fair bit down-market - Tvrdos monastery, couple of miles down river from Trebinje. You can buy a 5L canister of good wine for 25KM (about a tenner) directly from the monks. At least you could a couple of years ago. The language may be a bit of a barrier, but you are more than likely to encounter someone visiting the monastery who speaks English. Anyways :"vino u refuzi" is the keyword and you get it from the wine cellar directly.. It is also nice enough, 9th century Orthodox Christian monastery to visit. Drink the wine quick, though, it is "young wine" and will turn to vinegar pretty quickly at 38C. :) You can, of course buy bottled wine there too at much higher prices. Buying a plastic canister of wine from a monastery for peanuts is something to talk to your mates about when back home, tho' .. :)

Thanks for the info will definately give that a look��

Mostar definitely worth checking out . . . especially the museum in the tower of the famous bridge.
Haunting B+W photos from the siege of Mostar during Balkan War.

Was there today, surprised that so many buildings are still peppered with shell/bullet holes or just completely wrecked, as if it all happened yesterday, not 20 years ago.

Was there today, surprised that so many buildings are still peppered with shell/bullet holes or just completely wrecked, as if it all happened yesterday, not 20 years ago.

I think its been left as a reminder , somewhere on the journey from Sarajevo to Mostar on 1 of the bridges that were blown is still a train hanging off the end :hippy
My youngest has a Bosnian wife and their stories from the war are quite staggering , they are there at the moment enjoying the sunshine.
As you said , lovely country and lovely people...

did somebody try and entice you to jump off the bridge ??? :hippy , crazy folk ..

Back
Top Bottom