NC500 warning!

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
It seems that, having created the 'NC500' to promote tourism, the route has now become a victim of its own success.

I understand that caravans and motorhomes are now suffering that time-honoured tradition of being 'egged'.

:D

The yolk will be on the locals when they all stop visiting...

I'm off up there next week again, best stock up on free range.
Have you ever went up the centre Cabby....Lairg and Altnaharra? Next trip is mid Sept and we will go up that way. Did it a couple of years ago on a long solo trip and loved it. Turn left at Tongue and down to Durness, Kylesku, Ullapool etc eventually picking up A82 and spend a night in Ft Bill most likely.... might have a night around Tongue/Durness area as well and do some routes I've not been

I'm up there September, October. Orkney, Sanday and Islay .... I shall be avoiding the NC500 like the plague!

Ahh take me back to the old days, take one Michelin map follow the green lines for entertainment plus empty roads, well ok almost empty, happy days!! The locals could even get out for a quick pint, before JK managed to get herself elected..
Goes to show, you have to be careful what you wish for...

When we’ve done it on the bikes we’ve always been made welcome as we’ve stayed in local pubs etc., and spent our money there. My understanding is the locals are sick of the people in vans, who fetch all their supplies with them and don’t spend in the local economy.

When we’ve done it on the bikes we’ve always been made welcome as we’ve stayed in local pubs etc., and spent our money there. My understanding is the locals are sick of the people in vans, who fetch all their supplies with them and don’t spend in the local economy.

I have never used the route, but I'd be surprised if you can get around without buying anything. My motorhome would need fuel and i would run short of gin and other essentials.

Besides, don't you have to take the rough with the smooth?

Have you ever went up the centre Cabby....Lairg and Altnaharra? Next trip is mid Sept and we will go up that way. Did it a couple of years ago on a long solo trip and loved it. Turn left at Tongue and down to Durness, Kylesku, Ullapool etc eventually picking up A82 and spend a night in Ft Bill most likely.... might have a night around Tongue/Durness area as well and do some routes I've not been

I never go up the NE part, always go over the Sturie to Bonar Bridge then usually Loch Shin to Laxford Bridge but this time I'm going the way you mention, up from Lairg to Altnaharra/Loch Loyal.

I stay in the same BnB in Dingwall all the time, my 4th visit in just over a year.

Had a good coffee up there once between Altnaharra and Lairg. In quite a strange pub think it was the cask inn.

Loch Shin to Laxford Bridge but this time I'm going the way you mention, up from Lairg to Altnaharra/Loch Loyal.

I was up that way a month ago, wide open to start with, but past the Dun Dornaigil Broch it gets all a bit Wee Mad Road style, including locals who never meet anyone going the other way! No motorhomes, just as well a couple of the bridges are a work in prospect.

According to some press reports not just egging but also tyres being slashed, bit counter productive if you want them to leave the area.

I'm up there September, October. Orkney, Sanday and Islay .... I shall be avoiding the NC500 like the plague!

been a few times sept Mickey, the tourists return home then to get the kids back to school. its much more quieter

Back
Top Bottom