NC500 warning!

Our wedding anniversary is mid October, that is when we tend to go. The leaves just turning, it is beautiful. Pop to see my sister on Skye, do a bit of spinning off the rocks for a pollack. The hordes have gone, the midgies have hibernated having gorged themselves on foreign blood all summer. :thumby:

Having shelled out for a MoHo bods want to use them and head off to the NC500. Perhaps they need to hatch another plan.

I imagine much of the problem originates with the wankers who dump their litter and toilet cassettes in inappropriate places.

been a few times sept Mickey, the tourists return home then to get the kids back to school. its much more quieter

That's exactly why I choose September and October ... or anytime in Winter even. Will probably be at Strontian or Portsoy for the New Year :thumb

:beerjug:

makes for an unsettling MOHO hol - walking on eggshells

Just been up to Ullapool, for 2 days, and went a run up to Tongue and back via Altnaharra, never seen so many Camper vans / mobile Homes / sport cars, even a tour bus.
As we got to the end of Loch Eriboll you could see then coming along the road in as huge convoy, had to just about stop at every passing place.. I'll give it a bye for the near future..

I was at Fort William in October last year in the car and it was remarkably quiet all week, even Skye wasn’t too bad.

I nipped up to Inverness on Sunday morning and barely saw a car on the A82.

My conclusion is either everyone is ‘doing the NC 500’ and go somewhere else (and there’s lots of choices) or leave it a few weeks and it might quieten down.

I was also at Oban mid August this year and was dreading it but again, busy but not rammed. If you didn’t count not getting a car space on a ferry unless you’d booked months in advance. Made me wish I’d taken the bike as you mostly could get on with a day or so notice.

I got there Sat and by Sunday Mrs S was trying to get me to drive home and bring the bike back instead.

Just been up to Ullapool, for 2 days, and went a run up to Tongue and back via Altnaharra, never seen so many Camper vans / mobile Homes / sport cars, even a tour bus.
As we got to the end of Loch Eriboll you could see then coming along the road in as huge convoy, had to just about stop at every passing place.. I'll give it a bye for the near future..

Place is full of them, sometimes on totally inappropriate roads (Lochinver). Applecross is ruined. I’ve been going up there on the bike for 20 years and you could do the pass without seeing another car. Now you have to stop at every passing place for a motorhome. That’s if you can get through at all due to some fuckwit jamming their pride and joy on the bends. Used to always time it to get fish and chips at the Inn. No chance of that now.

Once you get off the NC500 (tongue to altnaharra) then it’s back to normal.

Ho hum.

Place is full of them, sometimes on totally inappropriate roads (Lochinver). Applecross is ruined. I’ve been going up there on the bike for 20 years and you could do the pass without seeing another car. Now you have to stop at every passing place for a motorhome. That’s if you can get through at all due to some fuckwit jamming their pride and joy on the bends. Used to always time it to get fish and chips at the Inn. No chance of that now.

Once you get off the NC500 (tongue to altnaharra) then it’s back to normal.

Ho hum.

It made our little trip there far less enjoyable than previously.

Have to look at the peaks or wales instead (if the fucking peelers don’t ruin it)

It made our little trip there far less enjoyable than previously.

Have to look at the peaks or wales instead (if the fucking peelers don’t ruin it)

Every layby in the Peaks is also marked by a large white, blot on the landscape with deckchairs alongside.....even parking in gateways and going into grazing fields to park unannounced. They don't like it when the gate is then chained and padlocked overnight. :D

I noticed recently that the locals are up in arms in the Dales and North Yorkshire Moors areas about loud motorbikes but no comments about motorhomes. Maybe we should put our own house in order before complaining about other road users :nenau

Before anyone starts saying they don’t ride like a twat I’m sure an equal number of motorhome owners also drive considerately but like us when we’re out on bikes they’re all viewed as being the same.

I noticed recently that the locals are up in arms in the Dales and North Yorkshire Moors areas about loud motorbikes but no comments about motorhomes. Maybe we should put our own house in order before complaining about other road users :nenau

Before anyone starts saying they don’t ride like a twat I’m sure an equal number of motorhome owners also drive considerately but like us when we’re out on bikes they’re all viewed as being the same.

Can't do other than agree :thumb

:beerjug:

I was terrorising Scotland’s roads in the MX5 (Dougal) rather than the bike this time.

I went from Gairloch to the Crask Inn yesterday and the roads were fine, not busy at all and that included a fair bit of NC500. Must have even my lucky day.

Back
Top Bottom