Ceramic coatings

Robbi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Are there any on here who use ceramic coatings.? Specifically on exhausts.

My hexhead has the gold forks, I'm wondering what matching headers would look like.? Or just keep them plain silver.

Thoughts on ceramic coatings.?

I'm redoing the rocker covers in blue to match the original there's about 120 stock colours but golden exhaust headers.... sound very mexican drug dealer...?

here's some bits I did in burnt bronze for a car restoration it's 1000 degree thin film ceramic coating

Attachments

• rocker heads.jpg
    rocker heads.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 399
  • resto 2.jpg
    resto 2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 409
  • resto 1.jpg
    resto 1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 389
  • resto 3.jpg
    resto 3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 393
drive shafts....

the normal colour for all exhausts we've redone is black... and If can afford to buy the polishing tumbler we should be able to do ceramic chrome.... but that's a way off at the moment as we're abit skint

:)

Attachments

• resto 5.jpg
    resto 5.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 381
Hi Carl,

Looks good. My mates and I are thinking of getting the crash bars and rear pannier racks coated black.

Just wondering how ceramic stands up against the elements and scratch resistance etc compaired to powder coating :confused:

Cheers,

Jon :beerjug:

we've modified and coated all manner of stuff... the hardness is very good the application process is the key. Getting good adhension and a even one shot coating means it's harder than coffin nail.

how does it stand up to use and other products... motorcycles have proved really interesting things to work on the exhaust headers being closer and more exposed do take a kicking... and it's similar to being in a grit blaster... so as a ongoing service plan covering protection, customisation and restoration it's really good the work we've done on some really high mile users proved it stands up well...

contact points.. between facing edges... will wear over time..... the coating is only a few microns thick... powder coatings on the other hand is really thick... but powder coat scratches... however the main difference is powder coating is a foregiving product it hides bad engineering.... while cerakote is very unforegiving... and if the engineering is nice and clean it'll look nice.... but if the workmanship as a bit hit and miss... you'll see that.... I'll try and dig out picture of the ducati we did... and it looked awaful once we stripped it back to metal and that meant we have to chase the rust out first and made the project really expensive.... (however the enduser was really happy once we explained how to fix it)

if you wanna do a rack system as a trial and do a long term report on it... I'd be happy to prep it up and offer a better rate... but I need to check how big the bits are to fit into the blasting cabinet... as I said the ducati frame and complete restoration project cost a fortune...

Hi Carl,

I’d be happy to do a long term test on the ceramic coating. Be interesting to see on the pannier contact points how it fares.

The finish on those parts looks fantastic :beerjug:

Will drop you a PM :thumb2

Jon

Have messaged your Armoury Website about coating my R1200 headers as the chrome finish over stainless has gone bad/black and probably beyond polishing, I’m giving the old bus a bit of a mid-life refit. If cost is too prohibitive I may just go for some Keihan decat stainless headers and get better exhaust gas flow.

I've coated a few headers it's very much down the individual, the glacier black is in the high temp range...

your probably looking at something between 150-250 (300ish) subject to what the prep time is and how much cleaning TLC is need...

exhausts can be a funny thing to work on some of the chrome has a nickel base coat and that's a proper bastard to key correctly...

my R1200 headers as the chrome finish over stainless

Apologies for the thread detour but i found that interesting.
Are the headers on the 1250`s chromed stainless steel?
My 2021 has chromed headers but i would of preferred just plain SS for the low/no cleaning or upkeep!
Can`t see how BMW see the chromed exhausts as an `upgrade`!

The guy that bought my GSA from new specified every option including chromed headers, which were beautiful when blue but have tarnished beyond saving. If only they were are stainless so I could etch them back to life with optiglanz or similar.

At £300 to refinish, the aftermarket stainless decat headers at £388 sound like the more cost-effective answer so I will pass but thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I’m sure it’s a great finish when done.

I was thinking exactly the same that the cost versus aftermarket stuff might be much the same...

the world of custom work is a minefield of choices...and there isn't a correct one size fits all answer....

Most of the stuff we do, falls into 2 catagories

volume related stuff.... and then the cost comes down to pounds... but it's a process stuff arrives it's prepped and then the sprayer steps in doing as much as they can in a day.... Or it's a custom one off which is real money cos it time and then we're into making custom frames or adapting stuff....... to secure, hold/ balance, swing in all axis to get into the corner to spray it all... in one hit to get the drying process even....

Will try and dig out the restoration of a set of pipes we did... to give you a better view of the thing....

Back
Top Bottom