Roalok ....a word to the wise

Joe 90

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Love my Roadlok, think its a great design and use it a lot.....however, during recent holiday in Scotland, used it with bike on side stand and just a bit of a slope. I generally always use centre stand . ~This time, i rolled the bike in first gear until the roadlok pin engaged, then left the bike (steering lock on as well ).
On return, key in Roadlok, lock unlocks and pin springs out about 3mm and STICKS solid. no amount of pulling will release it completely. Bike stuck solid, cant move it to get on centre stand, rocking back and forth doesn't release the pin. Can't rock bike and pull pin simultaneously.

I was lucky to have assistance to heave the bike onto the centre stand, then just wiggling wheel released the pin.

experimented later in evening, same conditions, side stand, etc but with a 3rd hand to pull the pin. As i "rocked" bike back and forth, pin came straight out with minimal pulling force. I say "rocked" because bike doesn't actually move, i was just removing pressure on the lock pin.

Everything in the lock/pin/body is clean and moves freely. I've concluded the pin jams because the pin wiggles very slightly in its larger diameter silver body; not faulty or worn , just design tolerance. when put under "twisting " pressure, the pin jams in the larger silver sliding body.

So just a warning to all.....keep this in mind , i'd have been stranded without help.

Wise word for Joe, when put in roadlok pin let it sit on disc and not go in hole, more easy to release, if criminal want to roll bike away he only get a few cms of play and then he get click of pin in hole, but this method save you for future.

Wise word for Joe, when put in roadlok pin let it sit on disc and not go in hole, more easy to release, if criminal want to roll bike away he only get a few cms of play and then he get click of pin in hole, but this method save you for future.

What he said ^^^.
Had similar issues as OP when lock was fitted to a Multistrada 1200 (no centre stand) although in my case it was not parking on a slope that caught me out but a build up of road/brake dust in the disc holes. Was even thinking of selling the lock on but had a rethink and have used it as per Winjar ever since. It's now doing sterling service on my v85tt, another bike that lacks a centre stand.

Roadlok woes

Also agree with Winjar’s advice.

I had a slightly different problem, the lock jammed in the open position, so couldn't actually lock the bike. Took it off and cleaned etc but still wouldn't work. I got it replaced and the same thing happened again. Have taken the new one off the bike now supplier refusing to refund cost.

Wouldn't trust another one.

Hi TL, have to admit I’ve found the lock barrel a bit ropey at times. Key has always needed to be worked as it goes into the lock. I put this down to dust/dirt . I now clean the lock ( easy to get out ) with brake cleaner and I use a rubber bleed nipple cap to plug the key way when the bike is moving. I’d buy again based on my experience.

Doesn't that mean you could simply remove the whole roadlok in situ (assuming you the thief came armed with the tool for the caliper bolts)?

Doesn't that mean you could simply remove the whole roadlok in situ (assuming you the thief came armed with the tool for the caliper bolts)?

Yes. Thief could also remove using battery disc cutter which is more likely. As always deterrent not a final solution.

Yes they could if they were suitably tooled up, so to speak, which is unlikely. I use Winjars method.

Yes they could if they were suitably tooled up, so to speak, which is unlikely. I use Winjars method.

I have and use one. I only ever set it when on the centre stand by manually rotating the wheel - can be a real pain to remove if you roll the bike to engage the pin.

All that's needed to remove it is an 8mm Allen wrench, if the pin is not set

Back
Top Bottom