Laces, an unnecessary risk?

Wushuplayer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm a novice rider, looking to do some motocamping/hiking. Altberg dual boots seem a good choice if not for the laces.

Have been reading many stories of laces getting caught in the foot pegs. Is tucking them away not a solution?

I'm sure lots of people ride with laces without any issues right?

Never had a problem with Altberg Hogg laces coming undone in 10 years, you could always get longer laces and double knot them if you're worried.
I've had more problems with baggy waterproof over trousers catching on the legs.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I've been riding for years in various lace up boots, I've never had issues. Just double the bow over and if the loops a bit big tuck them in.

I've had the same in the past, when lifting a boot up from the ground onto the pegs, the loop of a boot can get caught on the peg, stopping you putting your foot onto the peg.

Tucking the loops into the boot if you can helps, zips clearly avoid that issue. Tends to be if the loop is big and hanging down the side of the boot.

No experience of the boot you are looking at.

Pal of mine caught his Altberg laces in the hook and loops of his pillion seat baggage ....

... it was a sight to see as he fell to the ground :D

:beerjug:

Pal of mine caught his Altberg laces in the hook and loops of his pillion seat baggage ....

... it was a sight to see as he fell to the ground :D

:beerjug:

Same as me but i managed to stay upright. Laces caught on the footpeg, couldn't get foot down but a desperate push caused the loop on the boot to snap thus releasing my leg :)
I was wearing my leather jeans at the time the legs of wich were inside the boots, same thing wouldn't happen with my Water proof pants as they are over the boot.

You think laces are bad, you want to try turn-ups on your Japanese Selvedge jeans!

How Hipsters have to suffer for their art :)

Andres

PS And yes, the only time I’ve dropped my Guzzi was when my turn-ups got snagged on the brake lever……..

……
I was wearing my leather jeans at the time the legs of wich were inside the boots, same thing wouldn't happen with my Water proof pants as they are over the boot.

Why do you wear waterproof pants over your boots? You’re weird………

Andres

Just done 3k miles around France in BMW Sneakers with laces, no issue, just sensible tucking away of laces is all that’s needed, unless this is a wind up thread

Back in the day I seem to remember getting the kickstart stuck inside my jeans - can't remember what the bike was but I do remember that thankfully it wasn't very heavy when it was on top of me. :D

Is tucking them away not a solution?

I used to ride almost daily in London wearing Converse shoes. Had a couple of close calls getting stuck :D
Started tucking the laces in, never a problem.
Converse have very long laces, so they do flap around and can get caught on the peg.

Other non-biking shoes I used often on the bike are my Grenson boots. Apart from destroying the sole too quickly, no issues there. :D

Just pay attention when you have extra-long laces. Everything else is kosher.

Most of the folk round here have velcro when they aren't able to use their tartan slippers. Laces are a dream of long ago.. :D

You think laces are bad, you want to try turn-ups on your Japanese Selvedge jeans!

How Hipsters have to suffer for their art :)

Andres

PS And yes, the only time I’ve dropped my Guzzi was when my turn-ups got snagged on the brake lever……..

Front or rear brake lever?

(Asking for a friend).

No, sorry, I don't have any friends!

Thanks for your answers guys, the struggle is obviously real!

I guess I was looking for an excuse not to get some Altbergs. Out of interest, I know a lot of people have had their Hoggs. But have just seen they have Bandog boots for dual use, biking and hiking. They look interesting, anybody have experience with these?

Back
Top Bottom