Recommendations for Airhead Cylinder head work - U.K.

MotoRevive

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The guy I use for cylinder head work isn't well and has suddenly retired. He's been my 'Go-to' for twenty years. Sad times.

I need valve guides installing and the seats re-ground on an Airhead.. Maybe new seats installed too.

Are there any recommendations ? I have a couple of local shops I use for Jap bikes but they've never done airheads and they're not prepared to invest in the cutting tools.

I'm looking for a new 'BMW airhead man' or woman :)

Thanks in advance.

Ted

T&l engineering in Bedford. They do loads of engine work for me. If the guides aren't too bad they will K line them. They never do any work that isn't needed and will point out anything you may not have spotted. Did both of my airhead heads.

T&l engineering in Bedford. They do loads of engine work for me. If the guides aren't too bad they will K line them. They never do any work that isn't needed and will point out anything you may not have spotted. Did both of my airhead heads.

Thanks for the reply. I'll get in touch with them for a quote.

Cheers.

Moorespeed does a excellent job too.
The only machine shop bike guy left standing in Adelaide is one of you lot, Martyn Adams .
Ran a business called Serco, Small Engine Repair company in the UK, some of the older members might recall him.

Another vote for Mikeyboy. Look at some of the rustbuckets he has restored to new!

As an aside, is Mr Cray still doing Beemers down in darkest Kent? He did my RS for me all those years ago.

Moorespeed does a excellent job too.
The only machine shop bike guy left standing in Adelaide is one of you lot, Martyn Adams .
Ran a business called Serco, Small Engine Repair company in the UK, some of the older members might recall him.

Huh.

In the UK, Serco is Serco Group Plc - A Leading Provider of Public Services.

Has mopped up a LOT of government contracts.

Dodgy performance as well.

We have Serco in Oz too along with a few other similar UK Dodgy's - graft and corruption is worldwide!
Speaking from hands on experience in the construction industry, one of them, not Serco, ran the State Govs building side and these guys were blatent crooks!

He has been around for 45 years so might have learned something in that time.
If you double the prices on his site for a Velo Thruxton you are looking at well

over GBP600- for valves seats and guides and a little cleaning up on the ports.
Trouble with the Thruxton is the silly big inlet valve which means you cant even a Venom camshaft without the valve tangling up with the piston,
With the stock Venom for a extra six quid the factor would clean up the head, dial in the timing and fit a manual BTH racing mag and dyno test it show 42 BHP, two more than a Thruxton---!
FWIW most BMW valves will be too thin at the rim to grind up and will need replacing, but some might to prefer new anyway to make certain that they are compatible with the new seats and guides---!

Back
Top Bottom