Fuel strip & fuel pump controller

clutchspring

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi every one , I'm after some information regarding the problems associated with the fuel strip & fuel pump controller/relay.
Do these problems affect all 1200 adv hex head model years or was it sorted out in the later years of production .

Thanks,
Ian.

The fuel pump controllers were a lot more reliable after 2008 and the fuel strips were never reliable but were replaced with a float sometime in 2010, a scan of the ECU will tell you if it is strip or float.
Early bikes without the computer MPG etc option also had a fuel float.

circa 2012 there was recall for the "relay" filling with water and cutting the engine, they fitted a later design
circa 2017 then many got a new fuel pump after the hose connections fracture

also of note some got new brake pipes as they fracture too
and the back wheel falls off when overtightened and the hub got replaced with harder to break steel item

all of them have been done on my June 2007 bike

You can get an emergency bypass cable for the fuel pump to get you home or nearest garage. I always carried one but never needed it.

My fuel pump did fail not long after i bought my bike (fixed under warranty) however i always carried a bypass cable and tools while abroad.

The fuel pump controller was replaced by recall (as mentioned by Botus) which seemed to solve the problem.

My 2006 bike has no mpg facility, it hasn’t got a float either as I have had two fuel strips replaced.

Al.

My 2006 bike has no mpg facility, it hasn’t got a float either as I have had two fuel strips replaced.

Al.

that's strange - its not what the parts docs say for early bikes

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/show...25-BMW-R_1200_GS_04_0307,0317_&diagId=16_0705

on a Jan 2004 1200GS

Fuel Pump with float combined (early unit)
For vehicles with On-board computer X539A=No
01 Fuel-pump unit with lever sensor 1 16147684348 $553.14

Fuel strip only
For vehicles with On-board computer X539A=Yes
10 Fuel level sensor 1 16147675547 $221.70 +core

it looks like your bike at some point got a new pump of the wrong sort that then meant you needed the strip...… when the pump with float is the same price as a pump without float.... but then needs 200 quid strip

Gauge was playing up when I bought it, dealer(non BMW)fixed under warranty, no idea what is fitted or what was fitted originally but it has failed again and all the signs are it’s a strip not a float, I just use the trip reset for range now.

Al.

Back
Top Bottom