E10 Fuel - Morrisons

Sidney

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Filled up my 07 GS with E10 fuel at a Morrisons this weekend. Rode 40 miles on the A1 at 85 mph and when I pulled off I noticed that my feet and hands were painful & tingly due to vibes. I've never experienced this is 20k miles and my conclusion was that the bike seems to have been running rougher. Could this have been due to the fuel?

All the 'advice' on Gov websites and from manufacturers is that E10 is compatible. So that should mean no interference from knock sensors etc. and as such the engine shouldn't feel any different. So I'm going to try using Super unleaded for a few tanks to see if I can feel the difference.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Some supermarkets have been experiencing problems with their fuel, appears water has contaminated their suppliesit's . Not saying that was your problem, 97 octane is better for your bike anyway, better mileage and performance, OK it's a few pence dearer but it's only 4 gallons a tank ? Go on be a devil.!!

Filled up my 07 GS with E10 fuel at a Morrisons this weekend. Rode 40 miles on the A1 at 85 mph and when I pulled off I noticed that my feet and hands were painful & tingly due to vibes. I've never experienced this is 20k miles and my conclusion was that the bike seems to have been running rougher. Could this have been due to the fuel?

All the 'advice' on Gov websites and from manufacturers is that E10 is compatible. So that should mean no interference from knock sensors etc. and as such the engine shouldn't feel any different. So I'm going to try using Super unleaded for a few tanks to see if I can feel the difference.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

How much fuel was in there already? You weren’t near running on 100% e10. JJH

do you know it was E10? The pumps have been relabelled but 10% ethanol is the maximum and there will still be E5 in the supply chain.

Maybe you just had shit fuel? It's happened at Morrisons and Asda before when fuel was contaminated in the supply chain.

Fill up with a different brand and see if the problem goes away and use the super unleaded or premium brand like Tesco Momentum or Esso Supreme.

It might not be the fuel. It might be something out of spec on the bike or maybe it is you becoming more sensitive? I know my joints are more sensitive as I get older so I tend to ride in shorter chunks before having a stretch and use cruise control more to give my right hand a stretch.

We don’t have anything but e10 here in California. Three flavors: 87, 89, 91. All shite, as far as mileage is concerned. Non-e10 versions of same octane deliver noticeable mileage gains. Can’t really say anything about power. If you’re getting unusual amounts of vibration I’d start with checking the throttle body sync.

I maybe wrong but thought that E10 was not actually being delivered to the pumps before the 1st of September so even if it says E10 it will still be E5 till the end of the month :nenau

We don’t have anything but e10 here in California. Three flavors: 87, 89, 91. All shite, as far as mileage is concerned. Non-e10 versions of same octane deliver noticeable mileage gains. Can’t really say anything about power. If you’re getting unusual amounts of vibration I’d start with checking the throttle body sync.

It was the same when I lived in Alberta, Canada. No biker went anywhere near that E10 shit!

I used Super Unleaded for the first time in my 800gs the weekend, seemed smoother/less vibey at 75-80 on the mway be using it from now :thumb2

Exactly my own experience. I'll buy it if there's no choice, but otherwise I make an effort to avoid it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Some supermarkets have been experiencing problems with their fuel, appears water has contaminated their suppliesit's . Not saying that was your problem, 97 octane is better for your bike anyway, better mileage and performance, OK it's a few pence dearer but it's only 4 gallons a tank ? Go on be a devil.!!

Funny you should say that, I filled up with super unleaded at Tesco tonight and when I wiped round the neck of the filler, there seemed to be water beading round the edge of the cap. I'm hoping to rack up a few hundred miles tomorrow so I'll maybe leave a vapour trail behind.

I'm hoping to rack up a few hundred miles tomorrow so I'll maybe leave a vapour trail behind.

There were traffic issues in Camberley last week as vehicles that had filled up at Tesco were conking out and becoming stranded, so be a little careful.

I put E10 in my bike with no issues, then put E5 in my bike again and then it ran like a bugger. Felt like fouled plugs.

Morrisons is shit fuel (budget nasty with cheapo addatives - you shouldn't buy)
E10 is hideous stuff - been common in Europe for years my bike runs like an utter dog on it
get used to that tankfull - when nearly empty go buy some 99 from shell or esso and the thing will feel like some 4 cyl silky smooth drag racer and the front wheel won't stay on the ground

Thanks all - useful stuff.

Definitely going to stick with Super UL now on and avoid Morrison’s.

Also need to check the throttle bodies just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel

In my area, NW Cumbria, nearly all the fuel comes from Grangemouth to a railhead at Dalston operated by Petroineos (was BP owned) and then piped to a storage depot. All day long road tankers are in and out of the depot, all brands, BP, Shell, Morrisons, local distributors etc. The difference at the pump is only the additive package used by each supplier, general consensus being that Shell's is superior.

Most if not all tankers load out from the same tanks and loading racks nowadays , so if it was water contam everyone would suffer. Incidentally, there is always an amount of water in storage tanks. I used to be a tank farm operative in the 80’s and regularly did water dipping.

Back
Top Bottom