how to import the new R1250RT from Italy

marcor1250rt

Reaction score
Hi fellow BMW bikers,
I am in the process of relocating from Italy to London and I have just bought a couple of months ago the new RT.
Is there a way to import it from Italy? in case what is the process and how do I change the direction of the headlight? I cam switch to mph easily on the screen but not sure about the lights and the process of importing post Brexit.
Many thanks in advance for all your help.

Ciao.

I'm not sure about what type of headlight the 1250RT has, but if it is like cars, more recent headlights have a flat beam (not dipped on the side) and should not need replacement.
Quickest way to verify is via the dealer. In Italy or UK.

When I imported my HP2, I replaced the entire headlight assembly.

If you search on the forum there is numerous threads over the importing procedure in the UK.
Farily easy, cheap, will take you a month-ish.
I am not sure how much it changed after Brexit though.

On the Italian side you'll have to do the "radiazione per esportazione" and have to prove that the vehicle has been physically exported from the country (proof of shipping/travel).
Make photocopies of the documents of the bike (libretto) as you won't have them anymore (even voided) at the end of the importing process.

Ciao,

If you have the colour ownership papers (V5C in the UK) keep it as you'll need it here to get a V5C and registration number.

I bought a R90S from Rome April 2020 and had all the historic documentation you'd need and a black & white copy of the Italian V5C equivalent and our DVLA didn't accept it!

It took me until July this year to get an official BMW headed letter confirming the year of manufacture (BMW weren't doing this task due to Covid-19).

I'm still waiting on a V5C but it's taking longer than my two rejection letters so I'm hopeful this time.

The procedure for historic vehicles is slightly different.

Follow all the steps here:
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

Had a quick look and seems the same as before.

Import
Pay any du tax
Obtain ECOC
Change speedo/lights and fill dvla forms
do first MOT
etc. etc.

Beware that, as your bike is 2 months old, you might have to pay taxes on it again. If I remember correctly the threshold for a vehicle to be considered used is 6 months of 6000km.

Back
Top Bottom