Cutting cables off a Nav IV cradle

buncobooth

Reaction score
Does anybody know what happens if you cut all the other cables/muck like the traffic aerial plugs etc. off the Nav IV mount ? I presume it only needs the power cables to power it up ? Would it draw any power if permanently connected to the battery when the Zumo is not in the cradle ?

Moved, to save you from hijacking your own thread on the fuse size for a Nav IV / 660.

I have the Garmin mounts without buttons, so not sure if this applies to the mount you've got.

I have hacked the cables down to about 30cm, what I did was open up the mount and inside there are 2 plugs, one has just the power wires and the other has data and all the other inputs and outputs. I unplugged this other connector so I didnt have to worry about wires shorting then cut the cable down to the length I wanted. Trimmed back the now unconnected wires and fitted a 2 way waterproof connect to the power wires.

I then ran 12v switched feeds on each of my bikes up to the handlebars and fitted the complementary power connector so I could share the mount between bikes.

There are electronics in the mount so am sure it would draw power all the time.

Mark

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Instead of hacking the leads (‘muck’) off, bikermate style, why not bundle them up neatly and tie them with a cable tie or two? That way, you have not ruined the cradle and will maybe be able to sell it later, when you have bored with it.

As to whether an empty cradle will flatten the battery? There are some reports of parasitic drains but, given the number of inventive ways bods manage to wire in their cradles, it’s maybe not surprising.

I connected my BMW 4-button mount to two other bikes, latest being my V85TT
Use one of these cables so you don;t splice the BMW mount: https://www.nippynormans.com/f650gs...any-garmin-or-tomtom-gps-into-the-bmw-harness
As you spotted, you only need a 12v supply and a negative to get the Nav going.
This way I can use my NAV6 on my GS (with lockable mount and wonderwheel) and on my Guzzi (with a 4 button cradle
Is that what you need?

This is my cutdown cradle, with the power connector unplugged. The side with the yellow seal stays on the bike (with a cap on to keep water out)
844fdd6c66388c117532a3d4b0edcb53.jpg

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Same as the 660 mount.
It's easy to open the mount. The Power and unnecessay wires are conveniently on separate connectors. Really reduces the lump of cable inside the faring/cockpit. Satisfying little task.
Take care with the spring in the release tab

Back
Top Bottom