Options after 20k on a Gen 1 XR

SKIPSTER

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well two years ago I decided to close the business and try and sort my health. The idea was to go touring, but then COVID arrived and not a lot has happened or improved.

With the touring option back on the table I have an annoying itch to try another m-bike, manufacturer irrelevant.

It’s time to ask the Tosser fraternity if you have owned an XR, what have you moved onto and was the decision a good one?

The main issue with my XR and probably the only one that really is preventing me enjoying this superb machine is the wind turbulence. Being 6.3” clearly doesn’t help.

I’ve tried different screens, a flip, and 3 crash helmets, but my tinnitus is getting worse.

So with touring in relative comfort still on the to do list, input from the wise would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Skipster.

I went from Gen 1 to Gen 2, Gen 2 is much more refined, I'm only 5' 11" but with an MRA screen its perfect. Would have considered the new V4 Multistrada but it's to big and heavy for me.

Cheers iandavid. I’m currently running the MRA screen, but not ideal. I’ve not ridden big screen tourers, perhaps that is the next step.

Cheers iandavid. I’m currently running the MRA screen, but not ideal. I’ve not ridden big screen tourers, perhaps that is the next step.

I would second the view that the Gen 2 is much more refined. less psycopathic but better in all respects IMO

When i have had issues with buffetting i find going for smaller screen is more efective than a bigger one

I have no scren or wind protection on my current bike and i have no wind or buffetting issues at all and my helmet is whisper quiet with no screen yet almost deafening with a screen

Go figure

I went GS 1200 to Multistrada to Gen 1 Xr to GS 1200 Rallye to Gen 2 XR, have done Euro trips on all but the Gen 2 XR but i hope to in the future. All of them and all proved to be more than adequate for touring. For me the GS' were roomier but the others slightly more fun in the twisty bits when i got to them, but that is only my opinion.

Can't help much on screens etc being 5' 11" and haven't needed to change any of them from std.

Col

I would second the view that the Gen 2 is much more refined. less psycopathic but better in all respects IMO

When i have had issues with buffetting i find going for smaller screen is more efective than a bigger one

I have no scren or wind protection on my current bike and i have no wind or buffetting issues at all and my helmet is whisper quiet with no screen yet almost deafening with a screen

Go figure

I agree re: screen size. If I raise the MRA screen on my Gen 2 XR the buffeting is horrendous. In the low position I can ride up to 60ish with the visor open. Bigger is not always better IMHO

Thanks RedRick Esq.

It is worth a punt and you are not the first to mention size doesn’t matter:D

I might remove the screen all together and work up from there.

Minimal protection against the elements may warrant a new W-proof jacket!

Cheers

Like to try a few bikes then Col35?!....

I’ve been down the Gs route and they have merit, but I find them cumbersome. The Ducati Multi could work as I like twins, but reliability concerns me.

Thanks.

Like to try a few bikes then Col35?!....

I’ve been down the Gs route and they have merit, but I find them cumbersome. The Ducati Multi could work as I like twins, but reliability concerns me.

Thanks.

Was over 5-6 yrs :D

Never had an issue with my Ducati, always wondered when you hit the start button, but never let me down.

I'll stick with the Gen 2 for a while i think as there doesn't seem to be much else i'd rather have just now

Col

GSA TC to XR Gen 1, back to 1250GSA. Just didn't like the way the bike "made me" ride it. ;) Much prefer the instant torque of the 1250 boxer. Plus, getting busted overtaking an unmarked armed response vehicle at 86 in a 50mph limit did help the decision. Luckily, got sent away with a flea in my ear by the very nice officer.

GSA TC to XR Gen 1, back to 1250GSA. Just didn't like the way the bike "made me" ride it. ;) Much prefer the instant torque of the 1250 boxer. Plus, getting busted overtaking an unmarked armed response vehicle at 86 in a 50mph limit did help the decision. Luckily, got sent away with a flea in my ear by the very nice officer.

Blimey StewMcGrew, some guys have all the luck!

Back
Top Bottom