Navigator 5 and 4-button mount.

beemerboy9

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dear all,

I have mounted a BMW 4-button cradle on my Triumph, so that I can share the Nav 5 with my BMW.

It is wired through an Innovv Powerhub 2 using a switched live.

I turn on the Nav 5 and put it in the cradle. The display shows battery power at the stage.

I turn on the ignition, the battery charging icon shows briefly in the Nav display, then the GPS switches off. Never had this problem with the Zumo 660 mount on the bike that got stolen.

Is there a compatibility issue, a setting required in the Navigator or something else I could be doing - like putting tape over one of the pins? I could always wire direct to the battery I suppose.......

The other accessory wired through the Innovv works perfectly.

I use a 4 button cradle on my Ducati with my Nav VI. It is wired through a switched live. The Nav behaves the same as it does on my GS - on with the ignition and off when power is switched off (after the normal message and delay).

Sounds like a fault with your wiring?

Start with the easy thing first.

Carefully clean the pins on the mount. The pins can corrode and / or stick down. Similarly, carefully clean the contact strips on the device. Does that fix the problem? If yes, job done.

If no, then move on:

Try the device in your BMW. Does it misbehave? If the answer’s yes, then the problem lies in the device. If the answer’s no, the problem lies in the mount or in the power supply on your Triumph.

Wire the mount directly to the Triumph’s battery. Does it still misbehave? If the answer’s no, and the device behaved properly on your BMW, the problem lies in the power supply via the Innovv Powerhub 2 and its switched live.

Report back.

Just a thought. If you turn on your Ignition then put the turned off sat nav into the mount does it turn it on as expected.

Start with the easy thing first.

Carefully clean the pins on the mount. The pins can corrode and / or stick down. Similarly, carefully clean the contact strips on the device. Does that fix the problem? If yes, job done.

If no, then move on:

Try the device in your BMW. Does it misbehave? If the answer’s yes, then the problem lies in the device. If the answer’s no, the problem lies in the mount or in the power supply on your Triumph.

Wire the mount directly to the Triumph’s battery. Does it still misbehave? If the answer’s no, and the device behaved properly on your BMW, the problem lies in the power supply via the Innovv Powerhub 2 and its switched live.

Report back.

Richard,

I noticed some corrosion on a couple of the pins, but had no idea it could produce that effect.

Cleaning the pins seems to to have improved matters considerably, so many thanks for the suggestion.

John

Excellent.

Keep them clean by buying a little can of contact / switch cleaner spray perhaps?

All the best.

Back
Top Bottom