A nice suggestion of a there and back jaunt, Germany to the edge of Greece

Wapping

Reaction score
6000 km, courtesy of Motorrad & Reisen magazine 106.

87abf2c00e7febb00b717350cffce3e0.png

75eac6e0fb9a20ac016f98e690a03984.png

Routes downloadable, as usual.

https://www.motorradundreisen.de/motorradtour/595_unvergessliche-reise-balkanhalbinsel.html

That’s the co-author girl on the little Honda, so anyone on a rufty-tufty GS can do it….

dc9d8e34b8e72267cf4e751633467bca.png

The German blurb, run through a basic translation says:

Tour description

At the end of May we start our motorcycle holiday with the destination Corfu. We, Günter and Elvira, both crossed the middle of fifty, have been married for countless decades and have three children. Meanwhile, they are full-fledged and we are not yet grandparents. In this way, we have been able to afford intensive motorcycle holidays for several years. Our goal is to experience the whole of Europe by motorcycle. We get a little closer to this every year. Elvira drives on her Hornet 600 and I on a BMW R 1200 R Classic.

General information about the motorcycle tour

Our goal is to experience Europe by motorcycle. But since we both prefer "only" fixed roads, this tour scared us off a little at first. Even the many unknown countries and border crossings were not necessarily inviting for the chosen route at the beginning. But you have to leave to experience new and unknown things. So let's go on the trip. The intensive impressions have remained in our memories to this day and we hope to be able to repeat this trip at some point.

Worth seeing and experiencing

Slovenia:
City of Maribor
City of Ptuj

Croatia:
Plitvice Lakes National Park
Rastoke (historical core of Slunj)
City of Zadar
City of Split
City of Dubrovnik

Bosnia and Herzegovina:
City of Mostar
Vrelo Bune (Buna source) in Blagaj
City of Sarajevo
City of Banja Luka

Albania:
Llogara Pass

Greece:
Corfu Island
Metéora monasteries, Kalabaka

North Macedonia:
City of Ohrid
Kosovo:
City of Prizren

Montenegro:
City of Kotor
Tara Gorge with bridge
Durmitor National Park

Accommodations

We have not booked accommodation long in advance. With the relevant online platforms, a daily booking was no problem. Internet is available in all countries. All accommodations were on a very good level, sometimes we were surprised in the most positive way. The overnight costs (with breakfast) amounted to less than 1,700,-- Euro for 24 nights. German is spoken in many houses. With English you can make progress everywhere.

Outbound journey

We always start our tours on our own axis from home, with the aim of arriving there healthy again. Certainly, this means that a few kilometers of motorway can be unwound, but it is worth it to us.

Food

Good restaurants are not difficult to find. Countless bars for smaller stopovers invite you and the catering in the supermarket is also problem-free.

In short, pretty good advice and answering most of the questions we see asked on these pages. Neither of them are what I’d call Adventure (with a capital A) motorcyclists, so would probably cover (by experience and aspirations) most of the punters on UKGSer. In other words, if they can do it, so can you. For example, if anyone wanted to replicate their jaunt, it would be easy to put the bods’ home town of Kelberg into Kurviger and have it create a route from say, Calais. Then, away you go; one instant holiday with no more effort than that.

2 of us did that route down the coast in 2018, best memory was of the hotel in the Logarro national park. 9 O'clock it came alive with a bus load of romanian pensioners on a coach trip singing and partying. My pal and I where the youngest in the room - I was 57, cracking banter and drinking sesh.

I ended up one night in Baden Baden, having booked nothing and discovered that there was some vast arts festival on, in a sanatorium hotel. At around 35 at the time, I think I was a third of the age of the average guest, though I might have exaggerated a little. A most bizarre experience, not least as I suspected several were probably wanted for war crimes.

Back
Top Bottom