Avon Trailriders

Schtum

Iconoclast
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a pair of Trail Riders fitted yesterday. After picking up the bike and riding the 30 miles home, I noted that the front tyre doesn't have the sipes in it.

I'd read that only the radial construction ones have the sipes. Closer inspection today reveals that whereas the rear is a radial the front isn't. As far as I've been able to establish, it's a bias ply.

I've always considered it incorrect and potentially illegal to mix radial with crossply or bias ply tyres on a bike. Also, I see that Avon's website recommends pressure of 33 / 36, F / R which is higher than BMW's recommendation.

I see that there is a non radial in the correct 130/80x17 size. The only radial front tyre in the range is 110/80x19, rather than the X-Country's OEM size of 100/90x19

Anyone else running Trailriders and if so, which ones do you have fitted?

I had a pair of Trail Riders fitted yesterday. After picking up the bike and riding the 30 miles home, I noted that the front tyre doesn't have the sipes in it.

I'd read that only the radial construction ones have the sipes. Closer inspection today reveals that whereas the rear is a radial the front isn't. As far as I've been able to establish, it's a bias ply.

I've always considered it incorrect and potentially illegal to mix radial with crossply or bias ply tyres on a bike. Also, I see that Avon's website recommends pressure of 33 / 36, F / R which is higher than BMW's recommendation.

I see that there is a non radial in the correct 130/80x17 size. The only radial front tyre in the range is 110/80x19, rather than the X-Country's OEM size of 100/90x19

Anyone else running Trailriders and if so, which ones do you have fitted?

I have trial riders ,

What / how do identify that there deadly lol

Sipes F&R

but i am running them on a 1200 gs

I though mixing types of tyre was per axle

so ok F&R but not side to side as per a car

Thanks for the comments. I'm looking for the experiences of people using them on G650 X-Country and whether or not, you'd consider bias ply on the front and radial on the rear to be acceptable and indeed legal.

I have messaged Avon and am waiting for them to get back to me.

Don’t know if this helps, copied from mot inspection manual.
Examples of an unsuitable tyre are:

a sidecar or car tyre on a solo motorcycle - sidecars may be fitted with either car or motorcycle type tyres
a tyre specifically designed for front wheel use fitted to the rear wheel
a bias belted tyre fitted to the front with a cross-ply tyre fitted to the rear
a radial tyre fitted to the front and a cross-ply or bias belted tyre fitted to the rear.

Don’t know if this helps, copied from mot inspection manual.
Examples of an unsuitable tyre are:

a sidecar or car tyre on a solo motorcycle - sidecars may be fitted with either car or motorcycle type tyres
a tyre specifically designed for front wheel use fitted to the rear wheel
a bias belted tyre fitted to the front with a cross-ply tyre fitted to the rear
a radial tyre fitted to the front and a cross-ply or bias belted tyre fitted to the rear.

Thanks Alun (?) It seems to clarify that it's not illegal. In the interim a guy in the US pointed out that the Tourance fitment for the X-Country uses the same tyre constructions, i.e. bias ply front and radial rear.

It's still a shame about the missing sipes on the front tyre. I'd like all the grip I can get in the wet.

Thanks Alun (?) It seems to clarify that it's not illegal. In the interim a guy in the US pointed out that the Tourance fitment for the X-Country uses the same tyre constructions, i.e. bias ply front and radial rear.

It's still a shame about the missing sipes on the front tyre. I'd like all the grip I can get in the wet.

Do you know any racers? They will hand cut them for you with their hot knife....

Back
Top Bottom