Air temperature failure

timeandtide

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Above flashed up en route to Redline (incorporating a lengthy chat with Pete at what’s left of Leisure Trail - soon to finish for good, or rather bad!) so I added new sensor to my other purchases.
Spent today stripping of plastics to remove fuel tank - sensor on side of airbox, fitting new sensor and refitting plastics etc, fault notification STILL THERE!
My question is does the previous fault remain locked in the ECU or has fitting a new sensor not sorted it?
Second question: Can I continue with planned Pyrenees trip with equanimity?

I can't see how a failed air temperature sensor would stop you going on any trip. Surely it's just for info, to show you what the air temp is? It's not critical to riding, nor the bike's operation, I think?

But then, what do I know, I've got an old, reasonably still analogue, 990 SMT. :D

I can't see how a failed air temperature sensor would stop you going on any trip. Surely it's just for info, to show you what the air temp is? It's not critical to riding, nor the bike's operation, I think?

But then, what do I know, I've got an old, reasonably still analogue, 990 SMT. :D

That is my gut instinct but apparently feeds in to the ECU (affecting mixture etc?)

Don’t know if it would affect Geoff’s machinations- will have to ring.

Maybe it's the ambient air temperature sensor under the steering head that's failed??

I don't know how to test it, but it's clipped to the top of the plastic fairing piece at the bottom of the headstock. It often breaks as that bit is removed and the remover does not know the sensor is there and just yanks the piece out without unclipping it.

I don't know how to test it, but it's clipped to the top of the plastic fairing piece at the bottom of the headstock. It often breaks as that bit is removed and the remover does not know the sensor is there and just yanks the piece out without unclipping it.
Thanks Cookie - will investigate tomorrow.

Thanks Cookie - will investigate tomorrow.

Well thanks Cookie you were right ( again!)
Turns out (courtesy of Adventure Rider) that several guys have had the same problem.
Basically incorrectly assembled @ Mattighofen - instead of the sensor being clipped in to the “mask” they were just cable tied in with other cables to the base of the headstock. The sensor body itself, not being robust, just broke fracturing one of the wires - hopefully replacement arriving from Trevor Pope tomorrow. Redline, Jim Aim and Trevor Pope all very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom