Anyone seen this in the transmission before?

22_1150-gs-cm

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi there. I came back from a ride on my 2002 R1150gs and saw black stuff coming from the boot by the final drive. Pulled back the boot and saw some small metal rollers. Not great. About an eggcup or two of gunk.

I recently changed the oil in the FD and Gearbox, and it is nice and clean and no drop in levels.

So, pulled off the final drive - no problems but there did not appear to be any Loctite on the threads. There is no sign of any oil etc from the gearbox end, no sign of leak from the final drive, but 3-4 metal rollers fell out. They happen to be the same size as the ones on the bearings attaching the drive to the transmission housing…..but, there are NO rollers missing from my bearings, although they are a bit rough.

When I took the bearings out it looked like someone or something had caused damage to the final drive inside the bearing recess, so I am now wondering if a previous owner left some bits in, or has this been seen from the factory (but I can’t really imagine how). The bike has just gone over 26k (I have done 20k in the last 2 yrs since I got it, and have had quite a few repairs).

Anyway, I think I will get new bearings and put it back together and see what happens. Does anyone recommend the alternative bearings from Motorworks for the pinion? Also, do you really need the expensive grease or will normal high temp stuff do?!

Cheers in advance. I have got photos, but could not work out how to post them!

Attachments

• PHOTO-2021-08-30-09-58-36.jpg
    PHOTO-2021-08-30-09-58-36.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 288
Those rollers look like the same as the pivot bearings between the swing arm and diff housing. Possibly from a previous failure if all your rollers are there. Also check drive shaft /"u" joint for possible failure

Sent from my NEO-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks - the U/joint looks ok, but there is a slight notch on one axis of movement. The bike does not seem to have any problems and is pretty smooth when on the road. Was hoping not to have to change the U joint as well…..

Anyway, I think I will get new bearings and put it back together and see what happens. Does anyone recommend the alternative bearings from Motorworks for the pinion?

I replaced the pivot bearings in my current 1150 with Nushings a couple of years ago - so far so good - worth considering :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom