Removal of flap -> MOT failure?

carbold

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Gents,
Back to bikes again, I have loads to catch up. My recently acquired Urban GS (2018) has had the exhaust flap removed.
Is the MOT going to be OK without it? I did a search in the forum but couldn't find the answer to my question.
Ta

yeah about 10 years ago I had a GS with a Y piece, but wondering if things had changed since

Emissions aren't tested

Flap is for noise mainly ,

as long as its failed open you wont know any different

if i'ts failed closed, the bike will feel strangled and down on power

MOT for bike exhausts cover , structure security, leaks from joints/holes , risk of burning driver/passenger , noise levels consistent with STD pipe .

Gents,
Back to bikes again, I have loads to catch up. My recently acquired Urban GS (2018) has had the exhaust flap removed.
Is the MOT going to be OK without it? I did a search in the forum but couldn't find the answer to my question.
Ta

Absolutely fine, I've removed the flappy valve from about 8 of my dozen or so bikes and never been a problem come MOT time.

Thanks gents. Since we are talking about it, has anyone found a use for the volume left empty where the driver unit sits? Like a little storage box or similar?

I'm an MOT tester.

It is not a fail.

The flap isn't for emissions. It's for back pressure and exhaust tone. It's untestable.

THe only way it 'could' fail, if if the replacement is seriously leaking exhaust gases. Which I'm sure it isn't.

Back
Top Bottom