Has my FPC failed?

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bike will not start, plenty of energy in the battery, no whirring sound from the fuel pump priming when turning the ignition on.

Popped FPC out and bypassed it with a lead to the battery, can now hear the fuel pump priming but bike will still not start? So has the FPC failed or is there another problem. Just want to eliminate all possibilities before I spend £140 on an FPC at Sherlocks.

Thanks

If you have by passed the FPC and the fuel pump is running , it does not sound like the FPC is the problem.
I would whip an injector out and crank it over to check if the injector is firing. It will tell you if the fuel system is not the problem.
When you first switch the ignition on the fuel pump will only run for a couple of seconds then will start to run again when the engine is cranking on the starter motor.

I got these if you need them
13b884e4c40cb19956e322e9d9c54445.jpg

b2abb24b4396d2bcd8858e63d383e4d6.jpg

Sent from out there somewhere

I've tried the bypass trick which is priming the fuel pump but it still will not start.

In gear

defective side stand switch?

Immobiliser still armed

Spray some easy start or brake cleaner into the air filter intake whilst cranking. If it starts or fires up a little then it is fuel related if it doesn't then it could be electrical.

I have a 2007 FPC in the for sale section . Maybe wrong sort for you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2007 FPC in the for sale section . Maybe wrong sort for you .

I am not saying whether the Good Lord should purchase it or not.

However, regardless of part number, they are all, at the finish, just pulse width modulation controllers, and freely swappable.
BMW had different part numbers on them each time they tried a new version to identify which ones were the least troublesome.

Suck , Squeeze, Bang, Blow

If you have suck - air going into the cylinders then good

squeeze ... do you have compression ???

Bang do you have bang --- no STOP

why do you not have bang

Sparks --- yes

Fuel - ???

Air ???

one of those 3 is not there or not there in the right amount

so look at what stops each of the causes

process of elimination ... do onething at a time and confirm it

if you try to do loads at once, you wont know what worked or didnt work

It lives!!

Ok, so had another go at finding out the problem.

I know I've got a spark so I popped an injector out, first of all I fitted the FPC bypass wire, press start and there is fuel coming out the injector. Good so far.

Refitted the original FPC and I get fuel out the injector - hmmmm! what is going on, clearly the FPC is not at fault. So refitted the injector and went for another shot at starting it.

So, I pressed the starter and held and held and held it down, after several seconds cough! press again and after several more seconds cough cough cough, it was trying to go! press again and again cough cough ough splutter and it fired, a bit erratic at first and then settled down. Sounds a but tappety but is that my imagination? I ran it for a couple of minutes and switched off, restarted again no problem.

It appears I have solved the problem but I am not sure how or why or what the problem was. I am taking it to my local independent mechanic tomorrow to have it plugged into a diagnostic machine to see if there are any fault codes. I am happy that it is running but not happy for not knowing the reason behind the problem and is it lurking there to happen again? I am off to France on September 23rd and want to ensure the bike is not going to leave me stranded. No warning indications on the dash at all.

Have bought the spare FPC off lmg which I will carry as a spare.

Thanks to everybody for your input, I will report back tomorrow after the visit to the mechanic.

i did a 1200gt , it was reluctant to start cos 2 other people had been cranking it for a couple of weeks . Smoked out the whole workshop.

fault codes , look at them , wipe them , go for a min. 10 mile ride , come back , plug it in again. see what is there.

actual fault , my guess , a poor connection somewhere and/or sticky injector/s , ( sticky inj's will not show on diagnostics ) i've had a few since end of lockdown , bike just needs some system cleaner and USING !

It lives!!

Ok, so had another go at finding out the problem.

I know I've got a spark so I popped an injector out, first of all I fitted the FPC bypass wire, press start and there is fuel coming out the injector. Good so far.

Refitted the original FPC and I get fuel out the injector - hmmmm! what is going on, clearly the FPC is not at fault. So refitted the injector and went for another shot at starting it.

So, I pressed the starter and held and held and held it down, after several seconds cough! press again and after several more seconds cough cough cough, it was trying to go! press again and again cough cough ough splutter and it fired, a bit erratic at first and then settled down. Sounds a but tappety but is that my imagination? I ran it for a couple of minutes and switched off, restarted again no problem.

It appears I have solved the problem but I am not sure how or why or what the problem was. I am taking it to my local independent mechanic tomorrow to have it plugged into a diagnostic machine to see if there are any fault codes. I am happy that it is running but not happy for not knowing the reason behind the problem and is it lurking there to happen again? I am off to France on September 23rd and want to ensure the bike is not going to leave me stranded. No warning indications on the dash at all.

Have bought the spare FPC off lmg which I will carry as a spare.

Thanks to everybody for your input, I will report back tomorrow after the visit to the mechanic.

Sounds very similar to mine early last year, hmmm or was it the year before. Anyway. Mine was doing exactly the same as you describe above. In the end it needed the fuel pump controller and the fuel pump replacing. Been fine ever since. I went for a few weeks as you described above and it slowly got worse until it wouldn't start at all. If I were you I'd shove a fuel pump in as well before you head off. Btw I'll be in France down to Alps from the 18th sept too.

Just back from my independent mechanic and no faults recorded on the diagnostic tool.

Back
Top Bottom