How should I set up internet in new house?

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
I've just moved to Leicestershire. My new house has 3 floors and a detached garage.

A BT line enters the house in the kitchen but it's not yet connected to anything.

The builder has installed ethernet points in every room (inc the garage) and the cables run back to the same cupboard that the BT line is in.

I want some devices hard wired to the internet (eg office PC and, where convenient, TVs).

I also want strong wifi in every room, preferably with the same username and password.

What hardware do I need?

A MESH system would probably work and give you seamless (same access point name and password) WiFi everywhere, but I'd want to take advantage of the ethernet wiring. You could have a number of hard-wired repeaters, but I'm not sure you could have the same credentials everywhere. Once all your devices had connected to all the APs, you probably wouldn't notice much difference.

I've just moved to Leicestershire. My new house has 3 floors and a detached garage.

A BT line enters the house in the kitchen but it's not yet connected to anything.

The builder has installed ethernet points in every room (inc the garage) and the cables run back to the same cupboard that the BT line is in.

I want some devices hard wired to the internet (eg office PC and, where convenient, TVs).

I also want strong wifi in every room, preferably with the same username and password.

What hardware do I need?
I’ll start by recommending what I have. We did a similar job 2 years ago, Ethernet installed, much bigger footprint house and also wanted internet 50-60 metres away from the house.

So we got these https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-seamless-connection-everywhere-complete/dp/B01NBMMVG7 . Easy to set up, works with sky broadband, works though load bearing, double skinned walls etc. Seamless, same access everywhere and I used a powerline adapter in the garage to connect a 4th disc and we have the same Wi-Fi down there too. It’s been very reliable, the guest network option has been handy. I have every disc connected via Ethernet and I had already planned the location of each disc / repeater when doing the electrical plan for the build. So now we have a single fast Wi-Fi network everywhere we need it.

There are other mesh systems around - some are hugely expensive, but bang for buck this has been a winner for us.

I would probably go with a switch such as a HP2530 series or it’s current version in the “network cupboard”, they’re professional quality and dirt cheap, you can use vlans etc if you want to get into that kind of thing or just stay simple

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-1000M-24-Ports-Managed-Switch/dp/B00AF59VNW

Otherwise the Netgear unmanaged switches are totally reliable and indestructible, they do managed as well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-JG...ear+switch&qid=1630653736&s=computers&sr=1-16

Then put a WAP on each floor

I’ll start by recommending what I have. We did a similar job 2 years ago, Ethernet installed, much bigger footprint house and also wanted internet 50-60 metres away from the house.

So we got these https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-seamless-connection-everywhere-complete/dp/B01NBMMVG7 . Easy to set up, works with sky broadband, works though load bearing, double skinned walls etc. Seamless, same access everywhere and I used a powerline adapter in the garage to connect a 4th disc and we have the same Wi-Fi down there too. It’s been very reliable, the guest network option has been handy. I have every disc connected via Ethernet and I had already planned the location of each disc / repeater when doing the electrical plan for the build. So now we have a single fast Wi-Fi network everywhere we need it.

There are other mesh systems around - some are hugely expensive, but bang for buck this has been a winner for us.

I’ve four BT whole home discs and as Walowiz says they work a treat, seamless and a piece of cake to set up too.

I’ve the BT discs too. Main one ethernet and other two via wifi and had no complaints from gaming son and facebook/instagram obsessed wife.

I’ve just re-read the initial post. You need a switching cabinet.

IIRC I’ve a Generic cabinet and a Netgear switch , I can’t find the details at the moment and I had all the comms gear re located into the loft, so not so easy to go get the model details !

But it was easy to install and set up. I’ve also got the broadband router and NAS connected directly to the switch in the loft.

Why do you want fancy stuff?

You have an ethernet point in each room,

then any old wireless access point will do providing its matched speedwise to the equipment using it

dont over complicate stuff

Google wifi points for wireless access including one in your garage (gives you a connection for Alexa - music and radio) connected with your newly installed cabling. This works as a mesh.

Ethernet switch in your cupboard to concentrate your hard wired devices; also in the cupboard will be the modem to connect to your broadband from your telephone line

A decent switch and a TP Link Deco X20 mesh system would have you sorted, it’s how I have things configured at home and have a look at this to get an idea if it helps.

https://youtu.be/nL8mdH5y49U

Thanks for all your inputs!

The solution that I have decided to run with is:

• ISP router used as a modem (ie no wifi)
  • Ubiquiti UniFi 8-port switch
  • Ubiquiti Unifi 5-port switch
  • 3 x Ubiquiti AP AC Long Range nodes - one for each floor
  • Ubitiquiti 5-port switch in garage - to split for node (below); wired security cameras and my wired PC
  • Ubiquiti AP AC Long Range node - in garage to serve garage and garden

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210908_084017.jpg
    20210908_084017.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 51
Seems good to me.
The most important thing is to not use the wifi from the provided modem as those are usually a bit crap.

The small 8/5 port gigabit ethernet switches might be a tiny bit cheaper (and top quality). Been using those in the wired portions of my network for quite a while now.

Why two switches (third is for the garage ok)?
Are you splitting on one of the floors as well?

Back
Top Bottom