So, who's heading east next year?

I am tempted by a tour of the Hanseatic league (or parts thereof) in May
545aa25f148b542d5c0c157421ba3f2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remarkably, the ground area of the London headquarters of the Hanseatic League from 1667 remains today, virtually unaltered.

It lies under the railway tracks of Cannon Street station, built in 1866.

b1d5883d32c251fefa053d6c42da7508.png

c8128c5c19f975f1f34ef3e837ae0609.png

The layout of the streets and their names has not altered over nearly 400 years and very probably much longer.

I would certainly recommend the north Baltic coast from Lubeck, right across to and including Rugen island, Germany’s largest.

we are winging our way to Greece in May, but as always with us its just a destination and one that can and often does change dependant on the weather, we may have to think a little bit about what way back we use, as we were thinking something like Bulgaria, Albania, Slovakia.
We go with a very little planning, just a case of get on the bike and point and twist, so its always easy for us to alter things at any point.

we are winging our way to Greece in May, but as always with us its just a destination and one that can and often does change dependant on the weather, we may have to think a little bit about what way back we use, as we were thinking something like Bulgaria, Albania, Slovakia.
We go with a very little planning, just a case of get on the bike and point and twist, so its always easy for us to alter things at any point.

I'm heading the same way at the end of May, after the Mugello MotoGP.

A ferry hopper ticket for the Baltic would be good, you could cover much of the area plus add in more of the north coast without all the miles and time. I suspect buying individual ferries would cost a fair bit. Interesting sea to circumnavigate whilst achieving your Hanseatic trip.

That's a trip report in one post! Looks good.

Hopefully nobody will reply quoting it rather than referring to it.

Thinking of heading up to Tallinn and then ferry from there or Helsinki to Stockholm and on to Copenhagen, Hamburg…ferry prices seem reasonable

I would recommend the canal / riverboat trip in Lubeck, a visit to the marzipan shop (Lubeck invented it, apparently *) and to Rugen island. The cliffs to the Baltic, the lighthouse and the ‘White houses’ in Putbus, Rugen are, as Mr Michelin, says “Worth a detour”.

Few Brits ever venture to the German coast but I enjoyed it all, as a leg of my ‘Lap of Germany’. Not least, it’s different.

* Where else can you enjoy a marzipan ice cream?

Thinking of heading up to Tallinn and then ferry from there or Helsinki to Stockholm and on to Copenhagen, Hamburg…ferry prices seem reasonable

You can get a reasonably priced crossing using Finnlines between Naantali and Kapellskar that avoids docking in Stockholm and because it’s predominantly aimed at truckers you get evening meal plus breakfast included for well under £100 on the overnight crossing.

The only downside when I used it was the total lack of facilities at Kapellskar and I waited for about 3hrs on a very warm evening before docking after all the trucks. There was also a total lack of ratchet straps so I used rope to tie my bike to the eyes on the deck plates.

Like many on here, I did have plans for Russia but that's on hold for now.

I'm thinking about heading to Lithuania. I do love Soviet history and there's place a here called Gruto Parkas where they have lots of Soviet monuments on display which had been removed after the end of communism.

Link here: http://grutoparkas.lt

It was also recommended to me to get the Kiel to Klaipeda ferry to cut out a lot of the boring road journey.

I've been following Benjamin for a couple of years now, he has a genuine adoration for the history and is really good with people.
The Kolya story is nice .
Which one is the Kolya story?

And welcome back too :thumb2 sorry it took so long to sort out :eek:

Back
Top Bottom